Staff merrigoround

Thoughts on Adam Sage at Crusaders as Visual Coordinator and possibly Program Coordinator?

I've always liked what he has accomplished with the guards he's worked with. I hope he does well in the new role.

Has he been hired or is this just speculation? I haven't seen any announcements.

Edited by Barneveld

I don't fault y'all for not realizing this, but outside of Visual and Color Guard, Bluecoats have been an incredibly stable team. At the top of the Admin staff, Director Dave Glasgow has been a part of the corps since marching in the mid-90's. Previous Director and still Corps Manager, Bill Hamilton, has been there since marching the inaugural corps in 1972. Everyone catches Doug Thrower's tenure (Brass Staff beginning in 92, Arranger since 1997). But Dave MacKinnon, Brass Supervisor has also been with the corps since 1994. While the names beneath them have evolved and changed, they are a long lineage of like-minded, and frequently home-grown, educators.

In percussion, Rarick has been with Bluecoats since 2002, including Front Ensemble writing. When Mike Macintosh left, Tom started writing battery as well. Current Front Ensemble Coordinator, Brad Palmer, has been there almost as long as Tom. He was working on the Macintosh team as well. When Mac left, Mike Jackson took over, but has you can see, there was still continuity. Mike knew he wanted to write again, and that was not going to happen soon in Canton. So a couple of years before he had the opportunity to write for Blue Knights, he had already brought in Roger Carter, with the intention of grooming a new caption head. It was far from a wholesale change. Again, with many technicians staying in the fold. And much like the brass, they have a lot of home-grown talent now still with the corps teaching.

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 1

The viz staff at Bloo was almost totally new from top to bottom. Most had previously marched together at Cadets, a few with a little prior time teaching at Oregon Crusaders first. Emotional levels between Bloo and Cadets were almost polar opposites, but both improved their marching over previous takes.

I would actually be so bold as to say that the change in visual staff was a major factor in Coats' overall success this past season. The improvement in their movement program was huge, and (I think) had a great impact on how well they played as well. Here's hoping they keep that staff intact and continue to refine their identity as a drum corps. I've been a huge fan of what they've put out the past several years.

• Like 3

Has he been hired or is this just speculation? I haven't seen any announcements.

Whether speculation or not...rumor or not...reliable or not...with the advent of modern media... That is social media... This is the new word of mouth... As far as official announcements they are a bit passe... Hail to the rumor mills!

Interesting that Boston would bring on Adam Sage when the past few years he was instructing Madison's guard, and the judging community has pretty much hated Madison's guard in recent years.

Not to say that Adam didn't do a good job however. I think he did a great job.

The Blue Stars are pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. Ward Miller as brass caption head for the 2015 season. Dr. Miller will bring his expertise and passion to the corps and join the returning guard, percussion, and visual caption heads in providing our students with an exciting, rewarding, and enjoyable season.

Dr. Ward Miller hails from Loachapoka, a small farming community near the city of Auburn, Alabama. He earned his bachelors of music education from Auburn University in 2001, where he served as webmaster, arranger, and an undergraduate teaching assistant with the Auburn University Marching Band. He graduated from Arizona State University in 2003 with a masters in Trombone Performance. While in the Phoenix area, he served as a part time assistant and clinician with the Paradise Valley High School bands, the Mesa Community College Wind Ensemble, and the Phoenix Symphony Guild Youth Orchestra. He taught public school in Alabama for three years, with his bands receiving superior ratings in both the marching and concert arenas.In 2006 he accepted a graduate teaching assistantship at The University of Iowa, where he studied with Dr. Myron Welch in Band Conducting. While at Iowa, he also worked as a teaching assistant with the Hawkeye Marching Band, where he wrote, taught, and conducted multiple arrangements and halftime drills. He also conducted the Iowa University Concert Band, and earned the 2008 outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant award for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

So new brass caption head for the Blue Stars. All other caption heads plus the entire design staff is the same. That should be a good thing.

Edited by mcjordansc