Southwind back for 2015

Great for Southwind.

Magic didn't just jump back in, they had Micro Magic for what, 2 years? Then they were Division II the year they came back, winning that division and getting into finals. The talk was that they had some Briggs people helping them with the finances and complete organizational issues. Didn't Wayne Downey of BD fame help arrange their shows during those comeback years? So, it seems that Magic TRIED to get it together financially, just doesn't seem to be that easy in FLORIDA...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magic_Drum_and_Bugle_Corps

"Never truly financially stable, Magic of Orlando went inactive after the 1999 season to try to build a stronger fiscal base. In order to keep the name in front of the public, the organization marched a small corps called Micro Magic that did exhibition performances at a number of DCI shows and other events in 2000 and 2001."

"When the corps returned to competition in 2002, DCI ruled that, under the rules, the corps had lost its Division I status and had to re-qualify by performing as a Division II corps. Marching a corps of well over one hundred members, Magic of Orlando then proceeded to win 29 consecutive Division II contests, including the DCI Division II World Championship in Madison with a score of 99.050, a record high score that stood until the discontinuation of divisional scoring in 2014. The corps then advanced to the Division I Championships, placing 11th in quarterfinals, 10th in semifinals, and 11th in finals."

Indeed. Those with concerns regarding Southwind's financial situation have good reason to be too, the corps has gone inactive twice in its history due to it.

Anyway, I think this is great news and wish them the best! They had some good shows, and I enjoyed seeing the Soundsport unit they fielded this year.

the corps that year were well aware they were no way a Div. 2 corps but as you said had to compete in it.

Finances were coo koo crazy there. so many were burned. The last Ex. Dir. tried his hardest to pull them out of debt, not by his doing but all the years of the early 2000s.Coming back at all cost isn't long lived for sure

Yup. I remember.

That rule cost Capitlal Regiment a Div 2 title, but the rules were what they were and it was for a good reason. It didn't help Magic in the end, however.

Edited by jjeffeory

Considering the nice little Soundsport group they fielded this past season, I'm looking forward to this.

This is cool to hear; I didn't follow the Soundsport thing this season much/at all but it's very cool to see Southwind get their presence back with this! Perhaps this is the start of a good trend for Soundsport (and likely one DCI was hoping/counting on)

Edited by perc2100

If we are talking about bringing back corps, then if in its original form 3 words....STAR OF INDIANA!!!

Definitely glad to hear this. I had some friends who marched Southwind BITD, and I am glad to hear the corps is active again.

Edited by ibexpercussion

I'm very happy to hear this news!!!! I will do my best to throw a little financial support their way.

That's a great idea! There's a 'donate' button on the website.

http://southwind.southwindalumni.org/en/

Every little bit helps.

Glad to see them coming back. As a alum (1982, The original corps), it is good to see someone trying again.

• Like 1

I thought a group which folds and comes back has to start in Open Class, per some sort of agreement with DCI? Could be wrong, though.

And they have to undergo an evaluation by DCI even before competing in Open Class.