Would DCI ever expand the number of marchers per corps?

cjf20

Yup, I've seen very large high school marching bands on the field. Not very effective.

I thought Duncanville High School was large at around 400 members:

band.jpg

Allen High School has around 850 members. Yikes!

16464_NpAdvHover.jpg10122013_057.jpg?itok=URAXl638

That's a high school stadium?! Holy ####.

Won't happen. Too many corps struggling to pay the bills as it is. More members would exacerbate the problem.

some think expanding the membership helps pay those bills.

they forget that it would probably kill corps as people flock to the top even more

I hope not. Trying to wrangle 150 kids onto busses at the right time and getting the school sites cleaned up is enough of a challenge. Especially with schools that have smaller gyms, kids are already crammed in sometimes. Plus, that means more horns/drums/guard stuff to fit on trucks already full to the bursting point with equipment and props.

• Like 1

I don't recall the bus factor in the decision to increase to 150 though it makes sense. I thought it had more to do with the growth of the front ensemble. Personally I don't see a huge difference between the 128 days and the 150 of today. In both cases we see great maneuvering and people don't get in the way of each other. In the marching band world you do see larger groups, particularly at the college level. I do find the size impressive and since the ones I see are primarily entertainment groups, I enjoy what I see but I am not particular about precision, I just want to be revved up. With do e of these groups. I would wonder if the large size would hurt if they attempted to do what DCI corps do.

PS: Does BOA have size limits?

I hope not. Trying to wrangle 150 kids onto busses at the right time and getting the school sites cleaned up is enough of a challenge. Especially with schools that have smaller gyms, kids are already crammed in sometimes. Plus, that means more horns/drums/guard stuff to fit on trucks already full to the bursting point with equipment and props.

You sound like someone who has had to organize field trips and youth activities, and you are 100% correct.

That's a high school stadium?! Holy ####.

Well, everything is bigger in Texas....

Like literally EVERYTHING has to be done bigger in Texas... Maybe not the BIGGEST, but the average is skewed higher. :tounge2:

That is a great place to work and live. CHEAP prices on lots of things compared to the rest of the US.

Back in college had Charles Casavant as a BD. His dad A. R. Casavant wrote books on drill design in the 50s/60s and Charlie was trying to prove he was a chip of the old block. He wouldn't allow the band to get above roughly 150 members and when asked why... he said... and I quote....

"Because more than 150 gets in the way of my drill." or was that "..MY drill"..... :tounge2:

Yup, I've seen very large high school marching bands on the field. Not very effective.

I thought Duncanville High School was large at around 400 members:

band.jpg

Allen High School has around 850 members. Yikes!

16464_NpAdvHover.jpg

10122013_057.jpg?itok=URAXl638

That last pic looks like such a mess.