BlueStars 2015 "Side Show"

brians

Got back from the Stars' rehearsal about 25 minutes ago and currently catching up on the Allentown thread.

About their show.

When I first heard about the Blue Stars' program last fall, I was intrigued. How were they going to pull off the concept of a dark circus? How "dark" was this circus going to be?

I was quite surprised to find out that this show is very entertaining and engaging. The "dark" moments that I was expecting were actually a "fun" dark, not a creepy or dreary dark. And the carnival barker actually added to the visual program, which kind of requires one to look around the field for the many activities going on throughout. Especially enjoyed the trombone ensemble, the ballad, and the new ending, which is a "grand finale" featuring many of the acts performing one last time and the "ringmaster" coming to the front of the field along with the rest of the corps.

The percussion and guard are simply stellar. The brass is a bit weak, however. Granted they're playing Jupiter horns, but still, I did not experience any major "chills" moments from them.

Weather did play a factor in tonight's rehearsal. On our way here, we saw a double rainbow prior to experiencing a quick "summer storm" (without lightning, thankfully). Another double rainbow made an appearance during ensemble, and there were some on-and-off sprinkles during that time. For the full run, though, the skies stayed dry.

Also, the stadium was not used today. Instead, there was a field painted behind the stadium and the scaffolding tower was set up, so I was watching ensemble from ground level.

Two unfortunate things happened during the run tonight: the high striker prop was not used, and there were some mic problems with the flugel soloist during the fortune teller part. Otherwise, it was a great run! Again, very entertaining show, and I can't wait to see it in full uniform tomorrow night!

• Like 1

Well they got an extra day before tomorrow with going straight to indy after the TOC show so that's plenty of time to clean it. They also added a closer last year in these 3 days so it's a gamble worth taking. Could also be getting rid of s I me thing judges didn't like.

To my understanding, it's in the non judged pre-show to set up the first impact more effectively. Nothing drastic.

Ill never believe that they don't judge preshows. They are there and can see it/hear it.

Check out the Cadets 2013 judging tape(s). They don't start the judging until the preshow is over. The judges actually acknowledge it.

Check out the Cadets 2013 judging tape(s). They don't start the judging until the preshow is over. The judges actually acknowledge it.

Correct. They will not talk about the pre-show. They will wait for the signal/announcement on every tape. This is the same for WGI as well.