Cadets 2015

How exactly does "Power of Ten" have anything to do with anything other than the number 10?

As I mentioned in another thread a few months back, there is a once-famous short film called Powers of Ten, that was created by the very influential design team of Charles and Ray Eames (perhaps best known for their chairs), meant to help people conceptualize orders of magnitude. I have no idea if it influenced the Cadets show in any way.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Did I hear Hopkins mention in one of the recent videos that Cadets were pursuing a three-year agreement with Ohio Northern U.? If so, does that mean that Cadets have assurances from DCI that their schedule will begin the next couple years in the Midwest?

• Like 1

Ssshhh! You're giving away the drum speak in the percussion feature.

chetla chetla chet biggida biggida gak gak gak slam slam

Z+g? How about that?

Ya spelled PERISCOPES wrong.

z%g

Cappy, your ears aren't fooling you. That battery has mad skills-the skills to pay the bills. They should make a serious run for the Sanford.

No doubt, and the book and staging of the battery closer to the front will make a big difference...a bunch of those kids also played in last year's edition, and they weren't chopped liver then.

Mathematically, nine is a much more interesting number. But the "Power of Nine" just doesn't have the same ring.

I think the power of 3.14 would be better.

It just seems like the counting in the beginning is a complete ripoff of Crown 2013.

This statement is as ridiculous as the ones made in the past about Crown's "ripping off" every other corps shows.

z%g

z&g.

Did I hear Hopkins mention in one of the recent videos that Cadets were pursuing a three-year agreement with Ohio Northern U.? If so, does that mean that Cadets have assurances from DCI that their schedule will begin the next couple years in the Midwest?

He had to decide by the end of May if they would sign a 3 year deal to receive a discount for the usage of their current facilities.

As for the DCI schedule, who knows. Way too early for that.

It's going to be really interesting to see how the ballad and waltz (the one with the 15 F horns) evolve. I can't completely tell on Periscope what they're going for with the ballad, but it remains gorgeous musically. Obviously we haven't seen any visual for the waltz yet, but it strikes me as a challenging uneven piece with a really great battery feature (unsure what to make of what the pit's doing at this point, with respect to the synth keyboard). Am anxious to see how they stage those F horns, should be a great moment.

Every section seems to be firing on all cylinders. Watching what the guard's doing in the opener (Shosty Mvt II), there's a ton of work going on but I was worrying about if it was a "modern" enough approach to guard writing. But, seeing the ballad a few times, and hearing how wacky the waltz is, it looks like they're working in a lot of variety in the guard work.

• Like 1

It just seems like the counting in the beginning is a complete ripoff of Crown 2013.

True. No one has ever counted in a show before.