The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

I'm not as big of a fan of their music as others, but I've always wondered what Twenty-One Pilots would sound like on the competitive field. I found that out today when I saw this clip on Twitter of a band from Oklahoma performing "Trees" as part of their show. Sounds like something the Blue Knights would play as a closer.

https://twitter.com/stfudun/status/786397493269442560

Here's the original version of the song.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 2

So maybe corps should look at performing more Dylan. It appears the only works of his that's been played on the field is "Blowin' in the Wind".

Bob Dylan Awarded Nobel Prize in Literature

(Funny to see one novelist retort today: “Bob Dylan winning a Nobel in Literature is like Mrs Fields being awarded 3 Michelin stars".)

Speaking of "Carmen," there's a ton of music from the opera that has never seen the drum corps field which I'd love to hear, and it would not have to be used in a "Carmen" themed show. Other operas I'd love to see explored are Gounod's "Romeo and Juliet" and Verdi's Il Trovatore." It would be a technical challenge too. Opera is not that easy to pull off on the drum corps field. One last opera pitch: "Au Fond du Temple Saint" from Bizet's "The Pearl Fishers." It's a great tenor and baritone duet with beauty and intensity. I looked on Corpsreps and did not see it listed which surprised me a bit, but if performed it could be one of those memorable moments.

Yes, for the Pearl Fishers duet.

I mentioned these pieces in another forum, and thought it worth putting them out here as well:

1. Selections from Green Day's American Idiot. Have always thought this could work, though now the Cavies 2016 show has some of that same AI feel and attitude.
  2. Have always liked the melodies and drama that make up Billy Elliot. (The musical, not the movie.) It's a touching, well focused story that might translate to the field. An operative word in there is that it has melodies.
  • Like 1

From the Broadway world...

I always thought that a total "Ragtime" show could be wonderful.

If it lasted, I think the music in "Allegiance" has potential as well. Big band 40's swing, some nice ballads (one showstopper sung by Lea Salonga was magnificent), and some Asian flavored music, such as the tune "Gaman".

• Like 1

From the Broadway world...

I always thought that a total "Ragtime" show could be wonderful.

If it lasted, I think the music in "Allegiance" has potential as well. Big band 40's swing, some nice ballads (one showstopper sung by Lea Salonga was magnificent), and some Asian flavored music, such as the tune "Gaman".

i like all of those suggestions

i like all of those suggestions

very few corps are brave enough to try the sort of stuff you guys have recently posted. heck i was shocked (and happy) when Crown played Rach Star. No matter how well arranged, no matter how well executed, judges aren't going to be able to give it a fair chance. so -- why play stuff you know will hurt you competitively?

very few corps are brave enough to try the sort of stuff you guys have recently posted. heck i was shocked (and happy) when Crown played Rach Star. No matter how well arranged, no matter how well executed, judges aren't going to be able to give it a fair chance. so -- why play stuff you know will hurt you competitively?

judges just rewarded a bunch of really ###### (imo) pop music with a gold medal and very nearly an Ott.

i don't consider the work of a gifted songwriter like Mike Rutherford (the guy from Genesis / Mike and the Mechanics who wrote both songs from videos I posted recently) to be less adaptable than the work of Ojos de Brujo...or imogen heap or vienna teng for that matter.

i'm pretty sure you didn't mean to include MikeD in this, because his suggestions were from Broadway musicals. ;)