The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be curious to see a comic take on the movement from Shostakovich's Ballet Suite No. 4 that was so magnificently used by Phantom Regiment to open their first DCI championship-winning show in 1996 and was taken up (sometimes overlapping with other material) in last year's DCA championship-winning show by Reading Buccaneers. Shostakovich originally used that music quite differently in the ballet The Limpid Stream (or "The Bright Stream") as you can see in 38:05-39:50 of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64-dtXHSO5k

Michel Legrand, The Young Girls From Rochefort

That's a Gene Kelly movie, isn't it? Maybe Madison should play those.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've mentioned it before but Norwegian Pirate and El Dorado by Two Steps from Hell needs to be put on the field.

• 2 weeks later...

This has so much potential as a ballad in the hands of a good arranger. Just beautiful and lush.

Hymn for the Lost and the Living- Eric Ewazen

Here's the piano/trumpet only version :

And here it is orchestrated for wind ensemble and performed by one of the US Air Force Bands:

I actually think tackling it from the original piano/trumpet version would work better for a DCI arranger.

EDIT: It's a piece written to commemorate the dead and survivors of 9/11, so it might not be the best idea for most shows, now that I think about it. Oh well.

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

Glad you started this thread Lance; glad you're back (sincerely with no sarcasm at all (in this post);) I like this thread alot! Thanks to all the contributors! I'm listening to new music through you!

My mind wound down to Brandi Carlile and Diana Krall today (inspired by vocalists in DCI 2015). A few weeks ago Gary Burton Quartet was my in thing. This thread is my music education!

Thank you and hugs to all!

• Like 1

This has so much potential as a ballad in the hands of a good arranger. Just beautiful and lush.

Hymn for the Lost and the Living- Eric Ewanen

Here's the piano/trumpet only version :

And here it is orchestrated for wind ensemble and performed by one of the US Air Force Bands:

I actually think tackling it from the original piano/trumpet version would work better for a DCI arranger.

EDIT: It's a piece written to commemorate the dead and survivors of 9/11, so it might not be the best idea for most shows, now that I think about it. Oh well.

Lance!

• Like 1

This would be very cool, I could see crown attempting it!

Within Blue Empires - Paul Lovatt Cooper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqHGHfORVRw

also, I don't know exactly how it would be arranged, but I could also see this being very cool. Kinda minimalist with a bit more melody.

Racing Against The Sunset - Philip Wesley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW4JEf_pSh4

Edited by Clutchtow