Uniforms (or Costumes if you prefer)... Hits or Misses over the years.

We have, but if I recall correctly, a corps can be nominated more than once. So I'll take a crack at Phantom.

PHANTOM REGIMENT

Hit: 2002. I'm probably in the minority, but I was really fond of this uniform. When they had the red sash, however, I didn't care for it.

rice-phantom-d02_2002.jpg

Miss: 2011/2012. Two great corps and two great shows, just a not so great uniform. Phantom's traditional baldric sash is gone, and I was never crazy about the black plumes with the white helmets.

phantom-regiment-2011a.jpgphantom-regiment-2012b.jpg

Next up: Since there's more than enough uniforms to choose from, let's do the CROSSMEN again.

I would've swapped your hit for a miss and your miss with a hit.

• Like 2

Who's up next? Since nobody has nominated our next victim...er... I mean CORPS... I nominate...

27th Lancers

I would've swapped your hit for a miss and your miss with a hit.

I preferred the 2000 model (red baldric) to the 2001-2002 (black) verison. Michael Cesario had an interesting point on Marching Roundtable about these. He said they were a dream for him as a designer - they harkened back to the original Phantom Regiment of Tennison fame - but on the field, the khaki did its job too well - the jackets managed to camoflage the corps. :ninja:

My favorite is still the 1989-1990, 1993-1994 version, which also got a "modern" cut to it in the 2003-2005 uniform. To me, this is what Phantom is supposed to look like.

1989:

02_10_2012_89phantom4.jpg

2005: (smaller shoulder wings, thinner baldric, smaller chevron patch, more form-fitting)

05_25_2006_regiment_lisle.jpg

Mike

• Like 1

Racine has had the same basic uniform (the first one you showed) since 1964, when they debuted their unique helmet.

In 2013, they decided to use that placeholder "newsies" uniform because the old uniforms had undergone so many alterations and modernizations, a lot of the jackets didn't look the same anymore, and they were pretty beat up. In 2014, they got brand new uniforms that went straight back to the original look.

In short, the newsies outfit didn't look fantastic, but it was the lesser of two evils.

Nothing wrong w/ living within your means.

General uniform question(s) that relates to hit & miss - It seems today that fundamentally all the uniforms are similar in that they have a sort of 'overalls' lower part (pants & bib), with some kind of other shirt/jacket over the top of the bib part. When did this happen and what was the reason behind it?

General uniform question(s) that relates to hit & miss - It seems today that fundamentally all the uniforms are similar in that they have a sort of 'overalls' lower part (pants & bib), with some kind of other shirt/jacket over the top of the bib part. When did this happen and what was the reason behind it?

Probably something to do with fit and uniform design as a whole. It keeps the number of uniform parts pretty low, and means you don't need a jacket design that goes all the way down to the waist. Helps make your marchers look taller and slimmer by artificially moving the waist higher, lengthens out the leg shape as well. Also creates much more form-fitting uniforms. Sorry, come from a family with fashion backgrounds. Hope that helps

• Like 1

Cascades just posted their new uniforms on their Facebook page (can't post the photo from my phone). Very different from what they've done before. Thoughts?