Blue Devils 2015 - "Ink"

Last night's performance

• Like 1

I still can't get over how "Cadet-y" the closer is. If I had my eyes closed I'd swear it was Cadets doing it. The little chorale kinda thing right before the last push. The mello runs to setup the last chord. I'm half waiting for them to rewrite the closer to make the last set a full company front.

It was weird seeing BD moving and playing runs! Very Cadetish! Lol. I really like BD's show. Doing fairytales could have come off very cheesy but they make art out of Snow White. Good for them.,
  • Like 2

It was weird seeing BD moving and playing runs! Very Cadetish! Lol. I really like BD's show. Doing fairytales could have come off very cheesy but they make art out of Snow White. Good for them.,

It's a great show, but it's gonna come up just short. Just not enough moments in my opinion. They're getting nothing out of that Kpop section. Zero. Closer is great musically, but lacking visually after the circles on the far left during the chorale. They'll medal, but I don't they'll win it. As an alum it pains me to say that, but that's the reality. That said, if they do come up short it won't be because of "design fatigue" as many have speculated. Judges have proven that's not the case.

I got my money on Cadets. They're killing it. Love, love, love what they're doing this year.

Edited by mboogey73

It's a great show, but it's gonna come up just short. Just not enough moments in my opinion. They're getting nothing out of that Kpop section. Zero. Closer is great musically, but lacking visually after the circles on the far left during the chorale. They'll medal, but I don't they'll win it. As an alum it pains me to say that, but that's the reality. That said, if they do come up short it won't be because of "design fatigue" as many have speculated. Judges have proven that's not the case.

I got my money on Cadets. They're killing it. Love, love, love what they're doing this year.

As I said in another thread (or was it in my head), BD and Cadets this season is like judging apples and oranges. Very different approaches for effect, both extremely strong in captions and was a blast to watch them both in Clifton live, Just great talent with the MMs and great designs by the staff,

Just wanted to pop into this thread and say that I am in love with the ballad this year. To be honest I've never been a BD fan but the ballad this year is so gorgeous. Great stuff.

• Like 3

Just wanted to pop into this thread and say that I am in love with the ballad this year. To be honest I've never been a BD fan but the ballad this year is so gorgeous. Great stuff.

I'm having a hard time telling whether I like this year's ballad better or last year's. But both are in my list of favorite ballads of all time. They're both a pretty big departure from what we've gotten from BD in terms of ballads since 08, which I think is a good thing. Variety doesn't hurt :)

• Like 2

I've only heard this year's ballad twice, but had a positive initial response. "That should be popular with the general audience."

Last year I was able to see a rehearsal block in ATL and the whole show was wonderful from low seats brass blast in the face viewpoint. I closed my eyes during the ballad to just listen, and the members were able to convey the emotion through their playing. Yes, I teared up.

If any DCPrs will be at BD rehearsal in ATL this year, look for me.

• Like 1

So, the Blue Devils are still capable of playing jazz. :thumbup:

They play jazz variations of pieces almost every year.

• Like 1