Fan Network 2015

Tonight's feed was less than stellar

Tonight was the best yet for me. Great job DCI!

The feed was ok. The sound was too quiet but the quality was there is you listened to headphones.

I just wish they could do a think like how you rent a movie from iTunes. You have a window of time to watch it. watch it one time only within a 36 hour window. That sounds fair?

It was okay. A couple freezes, and a few digital hiccups that skipped the feed ahead a few seconds, like a tear in the space-time continuum. Mic placement picked up far too much synth for every corps, and the overall field volume was too soft and muffled, especially when compared to the booming, crisp sound of the commercials.

We run a pretty standard, non-expert setup: cable broadband; wireless router; laptop PC catching the wifi signal and pushing it through HDMI to the screen.

Had some friends over. Beer was cold. All in all, pretty satisfactory. Worth the $100 to catch a number of shows during the season.

I'm still annoyed by the "in the weeks ahead" over the lack of streaming on mobile gadgets. Given how the whole "announcing the new DCI live in the weeks ahead" went, I'd lay odds we don't see streaming on mobile gadgets at all this season. Which seems pretty silly since Neulion surely has the infrastructure to do it given the ease with which I watch MLS Live streams on my iPad.

• Like 1

I'm still annoyed by the "in the weeks ahead" over the lack of streaming on mobile gadgets. Given how the whole "announcing the new DCI live in the weeks ahead" went, I'd lay odds we don't see streaming on mobile gadgets at all this season. Which seems pretty silly since Neulion surely has the infrastructure to do it given the ease with which I watch MLS Live streams on my iPad.

...knowing just a bit about mobile app development...I would not be surprised that this does not even happen this summer...

The 36 hour window would be nice, but it requires a completely different type of license. Be sure to thank Tresona and their newly formed conglomerate (Hal Leonard, Universal, Sony/ATV, EMI, BMG, etc.) for this entire mess the next time your local band director has to order stuff through them. In our litigious happy world, the audio/video aspect of the marching arts is being destroyed right before our eyes because certain people decided to rewrite the rules and interpret laws in a manner which suits their bottom line the best.

Edited by IMcomguy
  • Like 1

The 36 hour window would be nice, but it requires a completely different type of license. Be sure to thank Tresona and their newly formed conglomerate (Hal Leonard, Universal, Sony/ATV, EMI, BMG, etc.) for this entire mess the next time your local band director has to order stuff through them. In our litigious happy world, the audio/video aspect of the marching arts is being destroyed right before our eyes because certain people decided to rewrite the rules and interpret laws in a manner which suits their bottom line the best.

By God, 'Merica!

...knowing just a bit about mobile app development...I would not be surprised that this does not even happen this summer...

Pro-tip from another thread...

There's an app! It's an iphone only app on the store…but runs on my iPad. It's as kludgy and awkward doing so as the DCI website redesign, but it does seem to go into landscape mode if you're playing a video. Uncertain how it works on a live stream yet because I just discovered it today.

Of course, DCI seems to keep this a secret….

The feed was ok. The sound was too quiet but the quality was there is you listened to headphones.

I just wish they could do a think like how you rent a movie from iTunes. You have a window of time to watch it. watch it one time only within a 36 hour window. That sounds fair?

I'm with you. I live in Southern CA, and often the larger Regional shows start pretty early on PST. With the older FN it was easy to go start the show later afternoon/early evening when my family was ready to watch drum corps, and then watch the shows at my leisure. If something went nutty, it was MUCH easier to watch after the show was done, as there wasn't a huge hit on the bandwidth of FN and there were minimum problems.

Of course, I don't think any other sporting event live-streaming does something like that, so maybe DCI just gave us awesome gifts for years and this year is more indicative of reality. I haven't pulled the trigger on subscribing yet more because the live stream quality seems inconsistent at best. Change is no problem IMO, even if it's a change in procedure that I personally dislike. But inferior quality doesn't fly, and isn't worth my money.