2015 Uniforms (All Threads Now Merged HERE)

These responses are shocking in their aggressive, defensive, militant tone. So laughable. Here are the conclusions:

1) There is little communication from the performers to the show coordinators and designers.

2) Performers must completely submit to the designer's vision.

3) Performers have no input into show design.

4) Performers are programmed to execute the material.

5) If performers don't like the material, they can quit.

6) Performers do their isolated jobs, and don't think about the designer's content.

7) Designers are paid and are therefore infallible in their decisions.

8) DCI performers get no hands on experience arranging.

9) DCI performers get no experience designing the show or choreography.

10) DCI performers get no experience selecting musical pieces.

11) DCI performers get no experience selecting show themes or subject matter.

It's clear what the next phase of this activity must include if it is to create leaders, instead of followers. Composers instead of players. Arrangers instead of transcribers. Choreographers instead of chorus line Rockettes. Artists instead of programmed cyborgs. Tear down this ridiculous empire of wacko designers. They've created a private salon from this activity, aggrandizing their own demented hubris and making unchecked and reckless artistic choices. Designers must be knocked off their pedestals order for the activity to grow and to create leaders out of the marchers, who are now nothing more than corralled sheep, yearning for artistic expression and participation.

It's cute the way you pretend like you have a clue.

• Like 3

These responses are shocking in their aggressive, defensive, militant tone. So laughable. Here are the conclusions:

1) There is little communication from the performers to the show coordinators and designers.

2) Performers must completely submit to the designer's vision.

3) Performers have no input into show design.

4) Performers are programmed to execute the material.

5) If performers don't like the material, they can quit.

6) Performers do their isolated jobs, and don't think about the designer's content.

7) Designers are paid and are therefore infallible in their decisions.

8) DCI performers get no hands on experience arranging.

9) DCI performers get no experience designing the show or choreography.

10) DCI performers get no experience selecting musical pieces.

11) DCI performers get no experience selecting show themes or subject matter.

It's clear what the next phase of this activity must include if it is to create leaders, instead of followers. Composers instead of players. Arrangers instead of transcribers. Choreographers instead of chorus line Rockettes. Artists instead of programmed cyborgs. Tear down this ridiculous empire of wacko designers. They've created a private salon from this activity, aggrandizing their own demented hubris and making unchecked and reckless artistic choices. Designers must be knocked off their pedestals order for the activity to grow and to create leaders out of the marchers, who are now nothing more than corralled sheep, yearning for artistic expression and participation.

Alright then,,.stun us with your design background....put up or stfu.

• Like 4

Did you ever get your score and then privately think that the designers were responsible for the shortcomings? Or did you only focus on your own execution and blame yourself? Did your designers ever address your corp and apologize for poor scores?

I agree with many of your thoughts regarding the state of the activity, uniforms, design, & dancing & prancing...but I never once thought that my show designers were responsible for any shortcomings. Not once.

Someone should start two polls:

Best Guard costume/uniform of 2015

Best Musician costume/uniform of 2015

I wish to nominate Eleran to start this poll. Who wants to second this nomination?

• Like 2

Why? Why did you "completely trust" your staff? You shouldn't. Marchers should question every single design element the staff brings forth because designers are lunatics. Designers are often throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. They're shooting in the dark, coming up with preposterous experimental garbage, and they need to be held accountable.

For example, I once sat in a Phantom Regiment drill rehearsal years ago where the drill designer was continually adjusting "yogurt blobs" on the field. After about the tenth yogurt blob (his words) adjustment, I would have gone up to the instructors and asked "Does this guy know what he's doing? He's treating us like pixels. He should have done his homework before he brought us into a live rehearsal where he's experimenting." People, it went on for HOURS. Live performers in the summer heat revising, revising revising these seemingly random ellipsis shapes with absolutely no tie to the music, no theme, no dramatic action, no visual purpose. It was just sad. And no one said anything. Hour after hour after hour. Everyone complied. Everyone trusted that he was a visual genius, and they exhausted themselves. Well, he wasn't a genius, and the score reflected it. He was freaking LOST. He was improvising in a live rehearsal. I just find that inexcusable. That's like experimental painting using fresh blood. What's worse, no one peeped. They were all too scared.

Even though I agree with less than half of this post, I up-voted it for thoughtfully offering lots of specifics. Thanks for that.

The description of floundering designers slowing down the rehearsal process certainly aligns with the antics of some designers and directors I've seen in the theatre.

From a guard standpoint, if I didn't have complete trust in my designers/Instructors when I marched, I wouldn't have two WGI Medals or been in DCI Finals two times.

By contrast, I've seen professional plays where the director and/or designers clearly had no idea what they were doing and seriously let down the performers; I can think immediately of one case where the two lead actors, largely ignored by a director in pursuit of a ridiculous vision, delivered though their excellent performances the only worthwhile aspect of the evening.

On the other hand, they were professionals; for every drum corps performer to be constantly questioning the designers would surely be just as harmful to the process, or more so.