Innovations in Brass: Akron

Cadets have plenty of room to grow, easily as much as anyone. People often see what they want to see. It's difficult to be completely objective or to understand what different styles of shows offer. The Cadets were actually the dirtiest of the top 3 from Indy, but that's my opinion. I thought BLOOO was cleaner by a smidge, and carolina was way cleaner. Crown's brass book is amazing, but no more amazing than Cadets or Bluecoats. Bluecoats have a lot of extra bells and whistles with their incredible show, but if you cleared all that out I don't think their music book would be any better than Cadets or Crown.

Cadets have the much harder and better drill than do Bluecoats or Crown. Bluecoats are doing more of what BD does with excellent drill and staging. Carolina Crown has a good drill with a lot of compact design and a few spread-out sets. Nothing new in this dril that we haven't seen from Crown before, but that can be said of a lot of groups. Not everything can be reinvented, nor should it be.

I think Bluecoats and Cadets have the edge in GE at this moment (not counting BD and SCV yet). Cadets is more traditional, and Coats is really kind of revolutionary when we think about how they are creating that GE. What will the judges score and what will they look past is something all Coats fans will want to know.

In terms of Visual Performance (marching and intervals, body control, etc.) I'd give Cadets the edge ultimately because they have proven over the years to be masters of cleaning the feet, body, intervals, and forms. Coats did better last year and Carolina struggled until the end.

Percussion will be tough between Cadets, SCV, BD, and Coats all summer. Maybe someone else jumps in there. Cavaliers maybe. At this juncture, from what I have seen, the Cadets are on top. That line is clicking, but so is BLOOO, and SCV and BD will no doubt bring it.

When I break those 3 corps down this way I get a better idea of their growth and potential for placement. Keep in mind we don't know about the variables like new drill, new endings (all of them will add these), who cleans better, how the GE will pop when clean, who might have to water down, and on and on. Last year a lot of people thought the Cadets looked really clean at Akron and stated they would peak. YEP, they did. Aside from BD, no other corps beat the Cadets all season long until the very last night of Finals. And BLOOO only nabbed them by a small fraction. So the Cadets clearly peaked right into a fabulous season and a medal.

The thing about peaking is this: If you peak a fabulous show with incredible performance levels, the judges are NOT going to begin handing higher scores to the other corps that supposedly have "more room to grow" when they don't perform as well. And when "they finally grow" and the judges deem their show no better or just as good. Then it's all up to those performance captions or a slight edge one way or another in GE. The term peaking is very misunderstood. There is no corps at this point close to peaking. You just have to look closely and listen carefully.

Agreed and thank you.

My prediction:
1. The Cadets - 71.45
2. Bluecoats - 70.6
3. Carolina Crown - 70.1
4. The Cavaliers - 67.9
5. Boston Crusaders - 66.5
6. Blue Stars - 65.0

7. Troopers - 60.1

EDIT: Forgot to include the Troopers!

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

We are all certainly competitive about which corps is the MOST DIRTY

lol

Let's just agree they are all dirty right now! Darn right filthy

• Like 2

We are all certainly competitive about which corps is the MOST DIRTY

lol

Let's just agree they are all dirty right now! Darn right filthy

Like crown 13' and 14' percussion all season filthy.
  • Like 1

instead of guessing scores i'll try to guess the gap.

1 Bluecoats

2 Cadets -.15

3 Crown -.45

4 Boston- 4.80

5 Cavies -5.20

6 Blue Stars -8.75

instead of guessing scores i'll try to guess the gap.

1 Bluecoats

2 Cadets -.15

3 Crown -.45

4 Boston- 4.80

5 Cavies -5.20

6 Blue Stars -8.75

I agree with this.

• Like 1

Local radar shows the rain retreating to the east, setting up a nice 70+ degree night for drum corps.

I'll be there in my turquoise SCV horn line shirt. Not sure where I'll be sitting yet since I still need to buy my ticket, so if anyone has one to save me the wait in the line, drop me a note.

It's drum corps night in Ohio!

No one said any of the corps have zero room to grow and in no way was his post diminishing any corps. Geez.

Untighten your undies "GEEZ".