ALLENTOWN - Day 1

RE: The Academy: "Brass plays rings around Spirit Technically ( I agree) But only puts out half the sound, (Blame it on the #$%@#$$ Jupiter Horns-they are AWFUL!) But the price is right "free." Put them on Kings and you'd see a "World Class" of difference.

"If They (The Academy) had more power, they would be placing higher".. I most certainly..

Academy's lack of power had absolutely nothing to do with playing Jupiter brass. I've taught lines using Jupiter and they are certainly not awful by any stretch. Academy's staff, for whatever reason, has simply chosen not to build them for power.

• Like 2

They were 1.65 behind the Cavaliers, everyone went down a little bit. Madison was a little over a point behind them the other night. I am not AT ALL concerned about them.

Not to mention the tightest spread of the night.. Madison was a bit tighter 2 days ago, but the Cavs had a ton of holes.

No worries here either.

Edited by rancidrolla

Academy's lack of power had absolutely nothing to do with playing Jupiter brass. I've taught lines using Jupiter and they are certainly not awful by any stretch. Academy's staff, for whatever reason, has simply chosen not to build them for power.

Indeed... BK and Phantom are Jupiter hornlines... They're doing just fine
  • Like 2

It's almost like the lineup this year is West vs East. The majority of the west coast corps were on tonight, while tomorrow night is a majority of East Coast corps. I have been attending Allentown since 2007, and never noticed it before this year.

Is the reason for 2 days because there is nowhere to park the semis besides the park? How do they decide who goes on what day? Do first day groups get screwed since the second day gets another rehearsal day?

It was a two day event in the 1970's when 35 or so corps competed in prelims. My guess, and it.'s just a guess, by having it two evenings you see more corps under the lights. As far as parking is concerned, while Saturday is usually the larger of the two shows crowd wise, I'd be willing to bet most people who attend Friday also attend Saturday, so parking would not be an issue.

Indeed... BK and Phantom are Jupiter hornlines... They're doing just fine

I'd love if Phantom used Kanstul's though. I feel like their signature low brass sound would be great on those.

• Like 1

Kamarag/Wesleyrp

Sorry, I didn't mean to step on any toes regarding the performance of Jupiter horns. Kamarag, as an instructor, I certainly respect your opinion. As a percussionist myself, I'll be the first to admit I am out of my 'league" on my judgment of the quality of brass instruments.

My comments, however, were based on the opinions/observations/comments of long time, experienced Yamaha, Kanstul, and King brass fans & friends). I am aware of Phantom's and BK's use of them, along with
Blue Star's and Mandarins (Boy did they sound incredible tonight, Terrific Program) as well. But I really seem to recall that The Academy Brass line sounded more powerful when they were playing their original Kanstul's.

To both of you, thanks for enlightening me. Cheers Mate..

Oh Yeh......Go Academy!

I will bow to your superior knowledge of tone and style. I don't even have to ask if you were listening closely, I'm pretty sure you always do. :cool:

It just seems to me when a horn is mic'd the performer doesn't have to overblow. Those bones sound like they are not producing a legitimate sound out of the instrument. It sounds very unmusical to me.

But your point is well taken, and Cavie's brass staff would not allow that sound, unless that is the exact sound they were looking for.

I still don't like it. :confused::music:

+++

I have tons of Maynard, MF Horn, MF Horn II, Live at Jimmy's. The closest to that sound I think you are talking about was played on the superbone, which has that "loud blatty sound." I have Kenton's Chicago III suite, and much more. That is the horn sound I fell in love with. (not the superbone)

So much of it is how they have it mic'd and amplified. I heard them live at Bowling Green and it sounded to me there like they had straight mutes in, even though they didn't. That confused me for sure. Perhaps they are applying an effect after micing, but I know what they are going after as far as style.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

I trust you. :cool:

+++

Minor Thread Drift: What is custom about the trombones? My dad was a trombone player and he liked the plain simple tbone, not the one with the F trigger, I think he said it was too heavy.

I did notice the Cavie's tbones had a lot of tubing over the shoulder/back, but for what purpose I don't know.

As for the Cavaliers trombones, I do not think those were custom. The guy on the end was playing a bass trombone (2 triggers or rotars) and the others were playing tenors. There are a number of different types of tenor trombones. You can have small-bore jazz tbones with no trigger, large-bore tenors with no trigger, and large-bore tenors with trigger. I hate silver trombones. Professional orchestral and jazz players do not play silver with the exception of a few. But I understand they want the look and feel to be the same as the brass line.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

In their defense, they have to be gassed after the devastating illness that took out over 50 members in the last week. It will take them a few days to get their endurance back.

There are still kids who are sick and I believe I heard six guys did not perform (Some Cavies staff sat behind me during their performance). I Thought their performance was a bit off but not horrendously off, and I'm not sure that the trombones or vocals helped their cause, but their effort was amazing, the show did have that Cavies feel to it, and I have little doubt that they will be stronger in the final push.