Boston Crusaders 2016

Can someone explain to me how an MM's age, when they are college age, can limit their ability to play loud?

My commentary below is not meant to diminish the hard work and effort of the members of the corps...they are working very hard...that is a given.

I seem to recall this same discussion in early season last year as well...Honestly I think the horn-line has a great symphonic and balanced sound...it has nuance and refinement as well IMO...the biggest problem is this is NOT symphonic band...It's OUTDOOR IN YOUR FACE drumcorps...Peel the dam paint off the stadium wall for cripes-sake!!!! I think most of us can listen to a top 15 group and know "who" it is even if we didn't know the repertoire and were also wearing a blindfold...each horn-line has a very characteristic sound...personally I liked where Boston was going the year of animal farm with the horn-line...that horn-line was definitely my taste and perhaps underscored IMO...the last couple years although very good...just not to my personal liking...If any corps could open up their sound I would think it would be Boston...at this point what is there to loose? The Einstein adage comes to mind here..."doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

• Like 2

.It's OUTDOOR IN YOUR FACE drumcorps...Peel the dam paint off the stadium wall for cripes-sake!!!!

And over 70 brass instruments, with many corps, to do just that. I believe I'll be ending my depth of interest in this activity in the very near future (woodwinds), so I'd love to hear Boston's brass section actually play a song like Man of La Mancha the way most in this activity feel it should be played. Denon must be rolling over in his grave.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

My commentary below is not meant to diminish the hard work and effort of the members of the corps...they are working very hard...that is a given.

I seem to recall this same discussion in early season last year as well...Honestly I think the horn-line has a great symphonic and balanced sound...it has nuance and refinement as well IMO...the biggest problem is this is NOT symphonic band...It's OUTDOOR IN YOUR FACE drumcorps...Peel the dam paint off the stadium wall for cripes-sake!!!! I think most of us can listen to a top 15 group and know "who" it is even if we didn't know the repertoire and were also wearing a blindfold...each horn-line has a very characteristic sound...personally I liked where Boston was going the year of animal farm with the horn-line...that horn-line was definitely my taste and perhaps underscored IMO...the last couple years although very good...just not to my personal liking...If any corps could open up their sound I would think it would be Boston...at this point what is there to loose? The Einstein adage comes to mind here..."doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

This is spot on but I think it applies to much more than just sound.

• Like 1

This is spot on but I think it applies to much more than just sound.

Guardling - I am interested in your opinion. Would you care to elaborate?

Guardling - I am interested in your opinion. Would you care to elaborate?

Well, normally I would BUT in some threads opinions are welcomed others not so much. I try to speak from personal experience whether it's from experience with a corps, staff person or MMs or at least a close up observation. My personal experiences are not up for debate so sometimes it's better not to elaborate.

I've learned, at least tried to that take a breath before answering sometimes. Not always successful...lol.

I may elaborate later and thank you for asking, I do appreciate it but right now all I will say is sometimes corps themselves and they way of thinking, hiring staff, design choices, approach, expectations etc etc become a problem that only filters down to smaller things ( which become bigger) but the foundation for possible, and I repeat possible obstacles have been embedded from the beginning. There are plenty of open minded people here with vast experience who could think about what I just said and make a direct connection or not ,but at least see where maybe if nothing else a possibility.

At some point one has to look at the strategy and if it works or not. This could mean many things from design choices, staff, etc etc. Not saying in BAc's case anything specific, That's for them to decide...or not

I had this very conversation with another corps a few years back, unfortunately they are one of the many who aren't with us today.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

Well, normally I would BUT in some threads opinions are welcomed others not so much. I try to speak from personal experience whether it's from experience with a corps, staff person or MMs or at least a close up observation. My personal experiences are not up for debate so sometimes it's better not to elaborate.

I've learned, at least tried to that take a breath before answering sometimes. Not always successful...lol.

I may elaborate later and thank you for asking, I do appreciate it but right now all I will say is sometimes corps themselves and they way of thinking, hiring staff, design choices, approach, expectations etc etc become a problem that only filters down to smaller things ( which become bigger) but the foundation for possible, and I repeat possible obstacles have been embedded from the beginning. There are plenty of open minded people here with vast experience who could think about what I just said and make a direct connection or not ,but at least see where maybe if nothing else a possibility.

One at some point one has to look at the strategy and if it works or not. This could mean many things from design choices, staff, etc etc. Not saying in BAc's case anthing specific, That's for them to decide...or not

I had this very conversation with another corps a few years back, unfortunately they are one of the many who aren't with us today.

Thank you.

• Like 1

At some point one has to look at the strategy and if it works or not. This could mean many things from design choices, staff, etc etc. Not saying in BAc's case anything specific, That's for them to decide...or not

Supposedly this is what was being done after last year, but it's obviously going to take more time. Hopefully GUARDLING you will "elaborate Later".

Guarding - Very well put with respect to the organization. I'm impressed!! :silly:

Well done in Annapolis Boston! Not that a score means everything but it does mean something and that number was needed if only to validate to the MM's that all their hard work can pay off.

It also keeps things really interesting in the 10 - 14 group. Keep up the hard work and clean clean clean and be loud loud loud.

• Like 2