Carolina Crown 2016

I think there is absolutely no doubt that the Bluecoats are heads and tails above everyone in GE. Their show was built with GE in mind, something they haven't had in recent years. They (admittedly) designed their show visually, with the music supporting the visual package. They took a huge risk and hit it out of the park the first year. They've added the right layers at the right time.

Here's the big question - Can the Blue Devils and Crown add anything to their shows to push them up enough to that will allow them to catch them visually/musically? I think Crown is really the only group that has room to add some GE and still catch them, but they've almost maxed it out. It's all in the story telling for Crown.

The other element we haven't discussed - the panels. It's clear from the sheets that certain judges are favoring certain shows. It's all preference at this point. What happens next week will depend on who is judging GE, and my hope is that DCI looks at the scores from the season and picks judges that will keep things close at the top.

• Like 2

because the show is too traditional. Literally what's been hurting Cadets the past several seasons is starting to hurt Crown

JMO

Coats/BD are so connected to indoor world, Crown is more BOA/Cadets/Star connected

WGI wins. The outdoor massive movement and visual moments just isn't earning the marks it used to

No. The reason the Coats are successful this season is very old school music choices. It's a 90's drum corps show. It's really very clever. You take the soundtrack like Scouts '95 and pair up it with some ramps and amps.

No one would be buying this show if the Bluecoats had chose some of the more obscure music they've done recently, everyone would just sit and stare. In fact the heavy use of electronics and the unitards would have people sitting on their hands.

It's the marriage of the ramp and old school music book. Familiarity makes the show tick and let's the audience buy into all the other stuff.

Very clever indeed.

BD's show -- nothing like Coats. Very different approach.

And this is way OT.

• Like 3

I think there is absolutely no doubt that the Bluecoats are heads and tails above everyone in GE. Their show was built with GE in mind, something they haven't had in recent years. They (admittedly) designed their show visually, with the music supporting the visual package. They took a huge risk and hit it out of the park the first year. They've added the right layers at the right time.

Here's the big question - Can the Blue Devils and Crown add anything to their shows to push them up enough to that will allow them to catch them visually/musically? I think Crown is really the only group that has room to add some GE and still catch them, but they've almost maxed it out. It's all in the story telling for Crown.

The other element we haven't discussed - the panels. It's clear from the sheets that certain judges are favoring certain shows. It's all preference at this point. What happens next week will depend on who is judging GE, and my hope is that DCI looks at the scores from the season and picks judges that will keep things close at the top.

Bluecoats may win (and that's fine -- love the show).

Crown can win GEM. Might have last night :peek: Hmmm....

• Like 1

Does anyone happen to have a recent performance video (after new ending, whether it be Centerville, Chester etc..) I'd love to be able to watch it again.

No. The reason the Coats are successful this season is very old school music choices. It's a 90's drum corps show. It's really very clever. You take the soundtrack like Scouts '95 and pair up it with some ramps and amps.

No one would be buying this show if the Bluecoats had chose some of the more obscure music they've done recently, everyone would just sit and stare. In fact the heavy use of electronics and the unitards would have people sitting on their hands.

It's the marriage of the ramp and old school music book. Familiarity makes the show tick and let's the audience buy into all the other stuff.

Very clever indeed.

BD's show -- nothing like Coats. Very different approach.

And this is way OT.

oh good grief. I'm just offering my take. "NO" isn't a proper response for someone's take on things. It's just an opinion.

And regarding "traditional" and Crown - the movement is very similar to Star 92/93 - just more of it, a natural extension. By some of the same guys even. That's going on 25 years ago. Body movement is traditional now. The "mashup" Crown arrangements are also going on 10 years...

JMO - I think that's what explains the GE to some extent. That's not the whole thing. Yes - Coats plays a very fun and approachable rep. But so does Crown frankly. GE is also dinged by Crown when they made Roxanne so long and the Ballad too short. Again, not a criticism, just an observation

Edited by George Dixon

Does anyone happen to have a recent performance video (after new ending, whether it be Centerville, Chester etc..) I'd love to be able to watch it again.

I saw a short video the other night but now it's gone. It wasn't a very good one anyway - from like the 10 yard line :(

Just before the stage coach door closes, the villain grabs Roxanne and pulls her in. Then we see one of those inflatable slides they use for airplane emergencies pop out the other side. They slide down it and leap onto a 2007 Crown guard member who gallops away towards a giant The End sign. The son can't fire his gun at him, because guns are inherently bad, so he grabs a spear from Phantom 2008 and hurls it in their direction. It misses but triggers Lucas Oil's new geofence based field goal detector, causing the automated scoreboard to come on to register 3 points for the Colts (which would have created a lot of confusion about who made finals if it had only happened the night before). The heat from the scoreboard lights causes one of the wires to break on the The End sign just as they are crossing under it, causing the villain's demise and knocking him off the horse, taking Roxanne's clothes, which he had had a tight grip on, with him, leaving her to ride back to son, the spitting image of Lady Godiva. The GE judges will grasp the message that guns are bad, taxes are too high, nudity is perfectly natural, and words really can hurt you.

• Like 3

oh good grief. I'm just offering my take. "NO" isn't a proper response for someone's take on things. It's just an opinion.

And regarding "traditional" and Crown - the movement is very similar to Star 92/93 - just more of it, a natural extension. By some of the same guys even. That's going on 25 years ago. Body movement is traditional now. The "mashup" Crown arrangements are also going on 10 years...

JMO - I think that's what explains the GE to some extent. That's not the whole thing. Yes - Coats plays a very fun and approachable rep. But so does Crown frankly. GE is also dinged by Crown when they made Roxanne so long and the Ballad too short. Again, not a criticism, just an observation

Not sure about the length of Roxanne....vs. length of ballad. That's the first I've hear anyone mention that. The GE disparity from last night may just be based on one judge's preference. They've been very close at other shows. I thinks it's also about execution. Crown has a lot of exposed visual moments and they have to be clean to get credit.