Carolina Crown 2016

Something else to add to the GE discussion for Crown that I noticed when I saw them live in NC recently is the individual performance level. In recent years most people have discussed how the individual performer for BD has elevated their shows to the next level. Watching the performers for Crown, I think they have an edge this year over BD and Coats. And this is not just the guard...every performer sells their character in a detailed manner from head to toe. For example, the body movement in Roxanne up close is so complex and demanding, yet those kids make it look easy. And the movement the brass does while running around the field in the first fast section after the Medea hit is also crazy good. And talk about demanding when you see it up close....wow. But those kids...they just glide around the field...so it just looks like it's not big deal. So overall to me, the Crown members perform the most physically demanding show throughout all the captions of the top three shows, but they make it look so easy that I wonder if they're getting the credit. And that can be said for the difficulty in the brass and guard book. You wonder if judges have just come to expect it and they don't give it the credit it deserves es.

Mentioning the Roxanne bit...to me, it looked ridiculous and silly watching the videos of them in the movements...but when I watched them live in the stadium, I was more impressed with their demeanor...they were calm and determined, not at all worried what they were doing might look odd.....so yeah....each performer really sells it magnificently.

Edited by msumello

Something else to add to the GE discussion for Crown that I noticed when I saw them live in NC recently is the individual performance level. In recent years most people have discussed how the individual performer for BD has elevated their shows to the next level. Watching the performers for Crown, I think they have an edge this year over BD and Coats. And this is not just the guard...every performer sells their character in a detailed manner from head to toe. For example, the body movement in Roxanne up close is so complex and demanding, yet those kids make it look easy. And the movement the brass does while running around the field in the first fast section after the Medea hit is also crazy good. And talk about demanding when you see it up close....wow. But those kids...they just glide around the field...so it just looks like it's not big deal. So overall to me, the Crown members perform the most physically demanding show throughout all the captions of the top three shows, but they make it look so easy that I wonder if they're getting the credit. And that can be said for the difficulty in the brass and guard book. You wonder if judges have just come to expect it and they don't give it the credit it deserves es.

Agreed. The entire membership are just fantastic performers.

• Like 1

Has anyone discussed the trumpet soloist in the ballad -- it would be neat to hear him go up an octave at an appropriate point -- it would generate some GE to have a bit of high range playing --

Thoughts?

Nah. That whole section is transcribed true to the original source material.

Has anyone discussed the trumpet soloist in the ballad -- it would be neat to hear him go up an octave at an appropriate point -- it would generate some GE to have a bit of high range playing --

Thoughts?

GE is not the same as audience applause. Crown doesn't do screamers that often. I don't see it going in as, musically, it doesn't really fit.

• Like 1

GE is not the same as audience applause. Crown doesn't do screamers that often. I don't see it going in as, musically, it doesn't really fit.

That said, their screamers in the Costello piece in 2009 were fantastic, both as a solo and the full corps stratospheric ending they went with at the end of the season. Major standing O.

Crown, people may hate on the new ending.. but I'll be ###### if I don't say this is easily one of my favorite and one of the better shows you've ever put on.

I've got every ounce of faith in you! To mms and staff.. keep on keeping on. You guys rock!

Can't wait to see you Saturday night.

• Like 2

Crown doesn't do screamers that often.

Didn't they have a screamer that got the girl at the end of Danzon in 2010?

So overall to me, the Crown members perform the most physically demanding show throughout all the captions of the top three shows, but they make it look so easy that I wonder if they're getting the credit. And that can be said for the difficulty in the brass and guard book. You wonder if judges have just come to expect it and they don't give it the credit it deserves es.

Speaking solely about the guard - I think the judges have always noticed Crown's difficulty (it's hard to miss!!!). Crown's writing is extremely layered, detailed and intricate, to the point that it feels more WGI than DCI, because on the smaller stage of a gym floor, you can use intricate writing to your advantage.You can get it clean and impress the judges with your ability to get all the LITTLE details, and not just the big ones, in sync. But when you move WGI work to a football field, you increase the size of the stage, and the spread of the performers, and their number of visual responsibilities. Thing is, the judges' expectations are the same: any detail or flourish you add has to be consistent from performer to performer. The technique has to be there. So here you are, doing extremely detailed WGI work, but on a football field, in conditions that make it hard for the performers to be consistent in the SMALL ways, while also making it easier to spot those inconsistencies.

It's like the diff between acting on stage and acting in a movie: movies have cameras, so the performance doesn't have to be big, it can be all small details, because a camera will catch that. But on stage, you have to perform to a whole theater - you have to enunciate so hard you're spitting on everyone in the front row.

Yes, Crown's flags are in sync and their weapons barely drop and are, by and large, consistent. And, God, do they have presence - just out of this world. But small details stack up: this year, when the men toss rifles to each other over the hornline's heads, look at their hands. See if they're all catching those exchanged rifles in the same way. When you see flags tumbling on the ground as they spin, watch their bodies: are the flags AND the bodies consistent? It's hard to show off your technique if your book has moves like this every 5 seconds.

Their book is designed to convince us they're superhuman. I'm convinced of that! But I'm still not sure it was designed smartly, to win.

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 1