Carolina Crown 2016

The other element we haven't discussed - the panels. It's clear from the sheets that certain judges are favoring certain shows. It's all preference at this point. What happens next week will depend on who is judging GE, and my hope is that DCI looks at the scores from the season and picks judges that will keep things close at the top.

Bloo won the panels at all 3 regionals. Those are pretty much the same set of judges that they're going to see again next week.

As with every year, I am sure all the top corps are lobbying for who they do/don't want to see in Indy. But it's also clear that Bluecoats can win a lot of the plausible championship week panels.

Bloo won the panels at all 3 regionals. Those are pretty much the same set of judges that they're going to see again next week.

As with every year, I am sure all the top corps are lobbying for who they do/don't want to see in Indy. But it's also clear that Bluecoats can win a lot of the plausible championship week panels.

I wonder if Bloo has gotten a bit of a free pass in the music caption. So much of what they do after the Metheny bit and through the ballad until the closer with the triplets is brass accompaniment to soloists and percussion features. And then there are times when they set up that amplified power quartet and they blow over top of everyone. So I wonder what the judges have to say about that. If it makes any difference at all in terms of content compared to Crown's music content. Because overall I am surprised when I see Crown lose music. I agree that Bloo has a great percussion section...better than Crown. But Crown has a spectacular horn line and music book with tremendous content and exposure to error.

• Like 1

I wonder if Bloo has gotten a bit of a free pass in the music caption. So much of what they do after the Metheny bit and through the ballad until the closer with the triplets is brass accompaniment to soloists and percussion features. And then there are times when they set up that amplified power quartet and they blow over top of everyone. So I wonder what the judges have to say about that. If it makes any difference at all in terms of content compared to Crown's music content. Because overall I am surprised when I see Crown lose music. I agree that Bloo has a great percussion section...better than Crown. But Crown has a spectacular horn line and music book with tremendous content and exposure to error.

The top 3 are spectacular in the music department. All three have hornlines that could win the Ott, and I think a lot of Bluecoats' music demand comes from the spacial demands they have. I also think that Bloo's hornline is exhibiting a wide range of techniques, moods, and dynamics. Yes, a lot of it sounds like accompaniment to soloists, but the content is still there regardless. I do agree that Crown and BD have more exposed books, but I'm not sure how big of a priority that is to a brass judge. I'm sure that is weighted to some extent in music analysis. Crown's percussion seems to be vastly improved judging by the scores we've seen, but the point is that all three corps have been within .2 of each other in music, and when it's that close,I think it's a matter of how good of a run each corps has.

• Like 1

The top 3 are spectacular in the music department. All three have hornlines that could win the Ott, and I think a lot of Bluecoats' music demand comes from the spacial demands they have. I also think that Bloo's hornline is exhibiting a wide range of techniques, moods, and dynamics. Yes, a lot of it sounds like accompaniment to soloists, but the content is still there regardless. I do agree that Crown and BD have more exposed books, but I'm not sure how big of a priority that is to a brass judge. I'm sure that is weighted to some extent in music analysis. Crown's percussion seems to be vastly improved judging by the scores we've seen, but the point is that all three corps have been within .2 of each other in music, and when it's that close,I think it's a matter of how good of a run each corps has.

Well said Cappy. And I agree that Bloo has some great content in terms of playing through time and space, texture, dynamic control, and style. As far as how much weight is given to exposure to error on the sheets, I am not sure. But I would think it makes up part of your content score both in Analysis and on the field. I do think the Crown has the better brass line. And I think BD does also. And they both, to me, have more demanding books. So I would wonder if the spreads in percussion are wider than in brass. Oh to see the recaps and know for sure...ugh:)

No. The reason the Coats are successful this season is very old school music choices. It's a 90's drum corps show. It's really very clever. You take the soundtrack like Scouts '95 and pair up it with some ramps and amps.

This. Also why its so enjoyable.

All three brass lines are fabulous and whichever wins the ott will be deserving. If I had some great strawberries I could dip them in chocolate, put some cream on them, or make stwawberry shortcake. Point is different ways to showcase awesome talent and they all work.

yeah that's not gonna happen here :ninja: maybe over a guinness or 5.

Drinks on me my friend!

Crown FB post on the origins of their Relentless show.

https://www.facebook.com/carolinacrown/posts/10154384811567641

Something else to add to the GE discussion for Crown that I noticed when I saw them live in NC recently is the individual performance level. In recent years most people have discussed how the individual performer for BD has elevated their shows to the next level. Watching the performers for Crown, I think they have an edge this year over BD and Coats. And this is not just the guard...every performer sells their character in a detailed manner from head to toe. For example, the body movement in Roxanne up close is so complex and demanding, yet those kids make it look easy. And the movement the brass does while running around the field in the first fast section after the Medea hit is also crazy good. And talk about demanding when you see it up close....wow. But those kids...they just glide around the field...so it just looks like it's not big deal. So overall to me, the Crown members perform the most physically demanding show throughout all the captions of the top three shows, but they make it look so easy that I wonder if they're getting the credit. And that can be said for the difficulty in the brass and guard book. You wonder if judges have just come to expect it and they don't give it the credit it deserves es.

• Like 2