Hardest show ever - Cadets 2015?

As I recall, corps were allowed to switch one section per year (sops, alto, low brass), or was that just done by some corps to spread out the cost over several years?

Some did to spread costs, but I remember a similar one-section rule being used back in the switch form two- to three-valve G horns.

It's funny that Cadets 2014 which was deemed such an easier show medaled and this one didn't. Lessons to be learned or do they just keep doing what they're doing and let the chips fall where they may?

It's funny that Cadets 2014 which was deemed such an easier show medaled and this one didn't. Lessons to be learned or do they just keep doing what they're doing and let the chips fall where they may?

the difference was Crown and GE.

I didn't read all 17 pages, but this one is up there with Cadets 1999 in terms of sheer difficulty.

What they did with those taxi doors was magic ! 😆

How exactly was Brass rated at that time? Or more properly, how were "Bugles" rated, since that's how From The Pressbox lists that caption?

I see that despite finishing eleventh overall in Finals, the Rebels were second in Bugles. But Bugles #1 and #2, whose scores are averaged to account for half of that caption's total, only had them in sixth and fifth place, respectively. It's in "Music Analysis" that they're ranked second, which is enough to pull their overall rating for the caption to second. Nowadays Musical Analysis takes into account both brass and percussion, right? But to judge from the way From the Pressbox lists it, back then it was part of the Bugles caption. Is that right, or am I just misunderstanding the sheet?

Unfortunately, I don't know. My point was more along the lines of - they weren't fully rewarded by the judges for what they did, as it was so far ahead of its time. Not unlike SCV in 1980 with the asymmetrical drill.

Loved '99. An underappreciated show for sure!

• Like 1

How exactly was Brass rated at that time? Or more properly, how were "Bugles" rated, since that's how From The Pressbox lists that caption?

I see that despite finishing eleventh overall in Finals, the Rebels were second in Bugles. But Bugles #1 and #2, whose scores are averaged to account for half of that caption's total, only had them in sixth and fifth place, respectively. It's in "Music Analysis" that they're ranked second, which is enough to pull their overall rating for the caption to second. Nowadays Musical Analysis takes into account both brass and percussion, right? But to judge from the way From the Pressbox lists it, back then it was part of the Bugles caption. Is that right, or am I just misunderstanding the sheet?

Certainly the brass book!

Unfortunately, I don't know. My point was more along the lines of - they weren't fully rewarded by the judges for what they did, as it was so far ahead of its time. Not unlike SCV in 1980 with the asymmetrical drill.

I've made a point of studying the old DCI recap sheets to develop a statistical model (don't ask!) As I understand it from written history and anecdotes, music analysis back in '72-'73 was a separate subcaption to brass execution and was added to the average of the two bugle scores. Just like today, MA was how difficult/demanding the book was to play. In '73, MA was only worth 5 points, execution was worth 15, for a total bugle score of 20. In '74, MA was bumped up to 10 points and total bugle score was 25. If you find and read the history of Argonne, you'll find they had one of the best brass instructors/arrangers in the activity (Sandra Opie, HOF'er). They took high brass awards for VFW nationals in '70 and '71. In '72, Argonne finished 1st in MA and Bugles overall at Prelims (they scored a perfect 5.0 in MA). The fell back to 4th in Bugles overall at Finals, but still finished 1st in MA. In '73, they finished 2nd in MA at Finals to SCV, despite being 6th in execution, which gave them the 2nd place score overall in bugles. But the real story, like HockeyDad was saying, was their Prelims performance. Going on 25th out of 48 corps, they finished 1st on both bugle execution sheets, 3rd in MA, and 1st overall on bugles. They also finished 17th in marching, 22nd in percussion, and 14th in GE, good enough for 11th place. Their horn books were YEARS ahead of their time and it forced DCI to change the way they judged horns going forward.

Please don't give me nightmares.

I think it was Semifinals - it was unseasonably cool / cold at Camp Randall and there was a stiff breeze too. Cadets were using lots of tarps to simulate Manhattan. The wind caught those tarps and was moving them around and it was a funny scene watching Hop scurrying around trying to stop the tarps from blowing away like a sail. I don't know why that sticks in my mind. Maybe an early version of "too many props".