DCI Suggestion Box

I have a question. So DCI involes corps from around the world (Hince International). do any of you think that a corps from another country will ever make it to finals or perhaps medal at the World Championships? I think it would be neat to start having some other challenges from other countries.

My suggestions for the box:

1. No judge should judge finals who hasn't judged all the corps at least once during the season.

2. Live feed every show. In the age of Periscope, people are doing it anyway, but often without great seats on the 50. If you don't want to live feed every show, at least live feed the score announcements. Some people were occasionally periscoping, but it was inconsistent.

3. How about some way AT THE DCI.ORG SITE to provide feedback like this.

4. Put the current scoring sheets that the judges use on the dci.org website so they aren't so hard to find. There's very little at the site that explains scoring at all. How are judges selected for different shows? Who knows? A little bit more transparancy would go a long way.

5. (this one will be controversial) Totally randomized start times except for semis and finals.

• Like 1

I have a question. So DCI involes corps from around the world (Hince International). do any of you think that a corps from another country will ever make it to finals or perhaps medal at the World Championships? I think it would be neat to start having some other challenges from other countries.

No. Our corps have competed in there shows which was early season here and won right?

What one person finds entertaining another might not. If you mean taking the crowd into account, than just say you want the crowd favorite to win. Poor BD will not win for years, because people are just sick of them winning and loudly cheer for any corps that has a shot to take them down.

I think the judges sheets could be an issue in and of themselves. The sheets state for both repertoire and performers, "To what extent does the...(repertoire or performer)...engage the audience?"

Who is the audience?

The easy answer is the crowd. But are the judges judging how engaged they themselves are? Or measuring what the crowd is responding to?

It's a bit like the Oscar's vs the Box Office. A movie that is critically acclaimed may win the Oscar, yet the movie that connects most with people receives the box office dollars. Except in drum corps, the corps that doesn't win gold doesn't necessarily receive more $$$. Maybe a bad analogy.

I am sure all of this has been discussed ad infinitum. Just my take.

The following thought doesn't cover scoring or anything to do with BD, so I apologize.

DCI might have something in place, but didn't notice it on my first finals at Indy with the amount of time I was in the corps parking lot. I found it amusing the amount of stuff the mm left behind in the lot and at the airport to cut down their weight. Stuff that was still in good condition and could make some money for various thrift store operations. There's space in the lot where various organizations, on a rotating basis, could set up a means to collect the mm items.

Note: For all those mm/staff/volunteers who will spend finals night at the airport (this past Saturday night will probably be my first and last one) in future years and all those who have done so in recent years, let me make a suggestion that I had figured out prior to arriving. You read it here first. Stay in the family bathroom. The door locks and the lights have a switch. Add a pair of earplugs and you're good to go. At 2AM there is no buddy wanting to change a diaper and that table makes a great place for your large bag.

Edited by Ghost

The following thought doesn't cover scoring or anything to do with BD, so I apologize.

DCI might have something in place, but didn't notice it on my first finals at Indy with the amount of time I was in the corps parking lot. I found it amusing the amount of stuff the mm left behind in the lot and at the airport to cut down their weight. Stuff that was still in good condition and could make some money for various thrift store operations. There's space in the lot where various organizations, on a rotating basis, could set up a means to collect the mm items.

pretty good idea. There's lots left behind including air beds, clothes, shoes dont ask me why..lol..water jugs,etc etc

My suggestions for the box:

1. No judge should judge finals who hasn't judged all the corps at least once during the season.

2. Live feed every show. In the age of Periscope, people are doing it anyway, but often without great seats on the 50. If you don't want to live feed every show, at least live feed the score announcements. Some people were occasionally periscoping, but it was inconsistent.

3. How about some way AT THE DCI.ORG SITE to provide feedback like this.

4. Put the current scoring sheets that the judges use on the dci.org website so they aren't so hard to find. There's very little at the site that explains scoring at all. How are judges selected for different shows? Who knows? A little bit more transparancy would go a long way.

5. (this one will be controversial) Totally randomized start times except for semis and finals.

I agree with 1, 3, and 4. In addition to score sheets, I'd like to see a downloadable pdf of the rule book. I would like to see some greater randomization of performance order at local shows, maybe instead of randomizing within groups of 3, use groups of 5.

I'd like it if shows couldn't be changed drastically after a certain date. Maybe a little before Allentown or something. I'm not a fan of completely new endings and effects going in for just the last 3 shows for a few reasons, but selfishly because I never get to see them. But beyond that, I find it hard to believe that something added with less than a week left in the season can be nearly as clean (in all aspects) as things that have been worked on for hundreds and hundreds of hours, yet the scores still go up.

The Cavaliers do this at their finals housing site, seen the different bins for different types of unwanted items. I'm sure other corps do this as well.

• Like 1