DVDs are back

I have a nephew who is a professional guitarist.

He started out recording his music in a digital medium,but now swears by analog.

He says analog gives a much "richer" sound.

He also uses "tube" amplifiers.

Again,says they give truer sound then the "chip" ones.

I have a friend who used to moderate a forum group on high end audio hardware. He's built several amps with vacuum tubes and plays trumpet in a local wind ensemble for "old folks."

He says digital is useful for the mass distribution and portable listening environment of today's music, but it's just not as authentic as analog. There is a measurable quality, be it "richness" or "depth of sound", that you simply lose with digital recording and playback. I only mentioned compression once... it makes him physically ill to think about it. :soapbox:

I find LPs to be of much higher quality in sound. There is no compression which is why audio now days sucks.

I have gone all digital now. Maybe ten years ago I tried to give my Drum Corps LP's away here at one time, nobody wanted them. Now vinyl has made a comeback, and I wish I still had those records!

But I really agree with you on the LP's. Despite all the fancy gear and big speakers I now have, there was just something about those old LP's that were just more exciting to listen to, the exception being the post-2008 BD disks. They are MILES above anything else, including those old LP's.

The DTS 5.1 sound is actually BETTER in many ways than if you were listening to it live, much more articulate through every section. What I don't get is the 3D sound you hear when you are in the stands. But it's still pretty darn good.

I can listen to the BD's and even though the drum line is 20 yards away from the sidelines, you can really hear the snare drums CRACK on rimshots, and the overall sound will just thump your chest. You can thank the newer, large subwoofers for that.

That is one thing I never got with the old LP's, but to be fair, I haven't heard the old LP's with the new gear. But they did make good speakers in the old days, some as good as if not better than what they have today.

Edited by wvu80

It probably means they got some of the legal stuff figured out. The DVDs were the last thing to disappear, and are the first thing to reappear. (First a fair number of Fan Network streaming videos were removed. Then, many months later, all Fan Network streaming videos were removed. Very soon after that all Fan Network downloadable videos were removed. Then the DVDs and Blu-Rays were removed from the store.)

On the other hand, it could mean that the negotiations have broken down. DCI only pulled the DVDs from their store in June, six months after they had taken down so many streaming videos from the Fan Network. This may indicate that they felt secure in their rights to sell video. Perhaps DCI only removed the DVDs as a negotiating tactic, as a show of good intentions toward Tresona, who doubtless was squawking about all sync rights, not just those pertaining to the internet. If the negotiations have lately fallen apart, then DCI would presumably resume selling the older DVDs . . . but it might mean that Tresona was refusing to grant rights for anything to appear on new DVDs.

Imagine if there never again was new official video of drum corps.

I find LPs to be of much higher quality in sound. There is no compression which is why audio now days sucks.

Yes and no, depending on how you define "compression."

LPs sound phat precisely because dynamic range compression is employed. An LP can't possibly reproduce the full dynamic range of a typical music performance by a large group, so the dynamic range is compressed to fit more easily on the LP format.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

Digital compression is a completely different animal. It compresses not the dynamic range of a digital audio file but the size of the file. It's how the mp3 format came about, to send audio files over the internet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_compression

Edited by drangin
  • Like 1

On the other hand, it could mean that the negotiations have broken down. DCI only pulled the DVDs from their store in June, six months after they had taken down so many streaming videos from the Fan Network. This may indicate that they felt secure in their rights to sell video. Perhaps DCI only removed the DVDs as a negotiating tactic, as a show of good intentions toward Tresona, who doubtless was squawking about all sync rights, not just those pertaining to the internet. If the negotiations have lately fallen apart, then DCI would presumably resume selling the older DVDs . . . but it might mean that Tresona was refusing to grant rights for anything to appear on new DVDs.

Imagine if there never again was new official video of drum corps.

Your points are well taken. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I called DCI about another matter, and asked about DVD's. They did say they hoped they'd be available for Christmas, but made no promise and did say that once a set was sold out, it would no longer be available. The rights for the DVD's are pretty straightforward, $X for Y number of DVD's. My guess is works the same way for digital downloads. Streaming opens up a whole new set of issues.

My guess, we may have DVD's available, but the price will be rather steep.

Edited by Tim K

I have a nephew who is a professional guitarist.

He started out recording his music in a digital medium,but now swears by analog.

He says analog gives a much "richer" sound.

He also uses "tube" amplifiers.

Again,says they give truer sound then the "chip" ones.

Top-flight analog is what all digital aspires to. The medium on which it is delivered is more the issue in being able to enjoy the best of what it has to offer.

Edited by hughesmr

Tape sounds great too but in that case you really have to have top shelf gear. Vinyl you need a good cartridge with at least a hyper elliptical stylus if not a shibata.

If I have any scratches or pops on the vinyl after a very good cleaning then I get rid of them. most people have absolutely no clue how to handle CD's let alone a vinyl disc.

Surround sound? lol yea your little plastic speakers sound wonderful. :laughing: not all but most surround systems are crap but then again most people have tin ears and think mp3 sounds just fine.

I wonder if, in light of all these new copyright issues, the Fan Network, which DCI said they were planning to "reintroduce," will end up being like WGI's Video Zone, where all the shows can be streamed for free.

The copyright holders may be demanding a big payment for past abuses before granting any future rights, and all the technical info associated with that (how many times did x show get streamed, etc.) That could be a showstopper for all past and future streaming rights as well if DCI refuses.

But hopefully not. Hopefully they can separate the past from the present and future and negotiate this year separately.

Following on from N.E. Brigand's suggestion, taking down DVDs may have been pursuant to a c&d order (if the rights holders felt the contract was violated, they might have insisted that all rights are suspended). Once the negotiations failed, DCI may have figured that since they do have the existing rights to physical media, they can sell what they have at least (or whatever the contract allows).

The copyright holders may be demanding a big payment for past abuses before granting any future rights, and all the technical info associated with that (how many times did x show get streamed, etc.) That could be a showstopper for all past and future streaming rights as well if DCI refuses.

But hopefully not. Hopefully they can separate the past from the present and future and negotiate this year separately.

Following on from N.E. Brigand's suggestion, taking down DVDs may have been pursuant to a c&d order (if the rights holders felt the contract was violated, they might have insisted that all rights are suspended). Once the negotiations failed, DCI may have figured that since they do have the existing rights to physical media, they can sell what they have at least (or whatever the contract allows)

I haven't been to the site (I already own it all - bwaaahhhaaa) but I wonder...

Are the prices the same as last year? Any increases?

That's a whole lotta speculation, there, Pete. I doubt that DCI is doing anything that might presume rights ownership for past years' stock considering, as I understand it, it was the reinterpretation of those old agreements that was at the center of the rights-holders current lawsuits.

I think the safe reasoning is that DCI obtained rights. I wonder if there's any evidence of a negotiation in the existing price of the media.