Epiphany: Phantom should do New World in 2016!

I would agree, minus the Jazz-ish portion of the ballad.

Am I the only one who liked the jazz portion of the ballad? I had never heard the source music, so I had no preconceived ideas about how it was supposed to sound. I thought it was nice injection of energy to the middle of the show.

The battery parts were more power ballad than jazz

The battery parts were more power ballad than jazz

I agree with Tenoris4jazz, however. 1989 was only my second year watching DCI shows on PBS, and that "power ballad" section, to a high-school sophomore, was pretty cool. And I had no pre-conceived notion what the source music was supposed to sound like either (although I could tell that there was a rock vibe in some very classical sounding music). But it connected for me. I dug it.

Of course it seems rather cheesy now. But at the time, it was just one more thing that drew me into the activity.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind a redo of "The New World Symphony." It's been a long time.

To me, however, I'd like to see Phantom Regiment do something unique and different, yet with a hint of classicism in the style. I would love to see them take on the music of John Williams. That's right, John Williams. Phantom's brass sound and those white uniforms along with Williams' majestic, punctuated, and dramatic scores would be amazing. They'd likely have to beg for permission, but a show featuring Empire Strikes Back would be bold, big, dramatic, popular, and very Regiment. Permissions would be difficult, and many would consider the story hokey or cliche, but with all the Star Wars popularity due to a movie on its' way and Disney expanding both parks with Star Wars attractions, this would be a bold and risky move by Phantom. Definitely outside the box. :)

• Like 2

I think they should leave it alone, not sure how they could improve on it, perhaps use the 77 version as an opener if they must. If they were to do a full on retread, I’d vote 79 for music but without watering the book, which seems improbable these days

89 sorted of ruined NWS for the field by setting such a high standard, Blues Stars take on if a few years back really emphasized this point to me

I agree with Tenoris4jazz, however. 1989 was only my second year watching DCI shows on PBS, and that "power ballad" section, to a high-school sophomore, was pretty cool. And I had no pre-conceived notion what the source music was supposed to sound like either (although I could tell that there was a rock vibe in some very classical sounding music). But it connected for me. I dug it.

Of course it seems rather cheesy now. But at the time, it was just one more thing that drew me into the activity.

What's cheesy about it? Dvorak's Symphony #9 "The New World Sympony" is his musical tale of his travels in the USA (a whole new world to him) in the late 1800's. The work is composed using many of the musical sounds, including folk music, that he heard during his stay in America. Jim Wren's '89 arrangement of "New World" is a fitting modern interpretation that fits any era... 1989 or 2016. I guarantee that PR's 1989 New World show, and it's music, would appeal to far more people today than most of the show selections of any of the top 10 corps over the last 5-7 years. If anyone thinks that the complexity of today's shows is favored by the majority of judges they are mistaken. Edited by Land_Surfer

What's cheesy about it? Dvorak's Symphony #9 "The New World Sympony" is his musical tale of his travels in the USA (a whole new world to him) in the late 1800's. The work is composed using many of the musical sounds, including folk music, that he heard during his stay in America. Jim Wren's '89 arrangement of "New World" is a fitting modern interpretation that fits any era... 1989 or 2016. I guarantee that PR's 1989 New World shoe and music would appeal to farm more today than most of the show selection of any of the top 10 corps over the last 5-7 years. If anyone thinks that the complexity of today's shows is favored by the judges they are mistaken.

I was specifically referring to only the ride cymbal feature during the ballad, which many in this thread derided. I think the overall show is still spectacular!

x, I know this must have been a typo but next year is our 60th anniversary, a diamond anniversary ( one of a number of diamond-designated anniversaries ).

You are certainly correct about the original name, chosen by Alex Haddad, our founder. Rockford was then known, at least in Illinois, as the Forest City…until a Dutch Elm Disease ravaged the city.

I've been thinking about 2016. The furthest I've gotten is to select a program title, i.e., "The Regiment. A Classical Tradition"

As for music, I would like to have the corps select a classical piece from each of our 6 decades and build a show with these.

For those that might question whether there is anything classical from our first decade, I would mention Un Bei Di ( which we knew then as One Fine Day) and Pagliacci. My recollection is that both pieces were introduced to PR by Ms Marian Armato, who assisted our horn line during our early years and who later. as I recall, moved to Denver and had some association with the Blue Knights. I always think of her when the conversation turns to the Regiment's classical tradition. Marian was the spark.

Anyway, I can hear the clamor already among those who admonish us about retrieving songs we've featured in the past (and I do not necessarily disagree with the sentiment) but I do believe that among the many arrangements scored by Jim Wren, Michael Klesch and JD Shaw we could find six that would meet the test.

If our DCPlaneteers have any suggestions, let us know. Thanks.

You want show names?

ph Phactor: Phabulous!!!

PR Relations (or was this already taken by Juliet and her Romeo???)

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

I was specifically referring to only the ride cymbal feature during the ballad, which many in this thread derided. I think the overall show is still spectacular!

Yes - the cymbal ride specifically. It was a horrible piece of writing in an otherwise spectacular show.