A Modest Proposal, Part 1: Carolina Crown Wins in 2015

The first is that the Founder's Trophy should be awarded to the corps with the highest average score as a result of averaging their respective scores from all 3 days of competition.

There are far more than 3 days of competition in a season. Why not make an immodest proposal to average scores across the whole tour? Or at least include San Antonio, Atlanta and Allentown in the mix?

The Caption Awards have changed so much over the years. Initially, whichever corps made the least amount of mistakes was the Visual ("M&M") winner. Then they added in a buildup # (Analysis). Then the all-buildup Field (10 pts) and Ensemble (10 pts). Whichever corps won the 10+10 Finals night got the trophy (ditto drums/brass and 40 pt GE).

In the awful 6-panel system of '88/'89, there were 3 GE judges (Vis/Perc/Brass) and 3 Performance judges (same). Although there was a (finals only) GE Award, they stupidly added each performance number to its GE number to get caption trophies.

In 1993, the Cadets won drums in Quarters and Semis. All of a sudden, Star wins the trophy in Finals. Fair then---not today. Plus, the Brass/Guard/Visual trophies (and drums---after both judges are averaged) are now ONE number. DCI feels that one Finals number does not a Caption trophy make. The Founders *is* all one night, but it's the accumulation of ELEVEN judges.

In 1990/1991, DCI DID average Q's and S's to arrive at seeding for Finals. 1990 was interesting, as there was lots of movement 3-6.

Listening to the caption awards this year was interesting; BD wasn't leading in either Guard or Drums. Given their dominance last year (not seen since Star 1991 winning Qs by 2.1 and S's by 1.5), it turned out to be a fairly exciting finish.

Edited by Tad_MMA
  • Like 1

For those who don't remember or don't know, DCI tried something unusual in 1988 by not releasing scores for semis. The top 6 and bottom 6 corps performed in two groups in random order. BD went on 8th and SCV 9th. Eventual champion Madison went on 11th and Cadets, who finished 4th, went on last. No one realized until the semis scores were released on Saturday that Madison had lapped the field on Friday night. In a shock to absolutely no one, the format was dropped.

As much as I like the idea of average or points across Prelims-Finals on the surface, the corps should view each day as a new competition.

One small thing like an electronics blip or someone falling or a tarp mishap (Crown's first show) in say Prelims or Semis could kill the chances for a championship.

Playing it safe because of a lead never works (like in sports).

Finals is the last show...leave it all on the field, the rest is in the judges' hands.

• Like 1

As much as I like the idea of average or points across Prelims-Finals on the surface, the corps should view each day as a new competition.

One small thing like an electronics blip or someone falling or a tarp mishap (Crown's first show) in say Prelims or Semis could kill the chances for a championship.

Playing it safe because of a lead never works (like in sports).

Finals is the last show...leave it all on the field, the rest is in the judges' hands.

I'm reminded of the talk that Jeff Kievit gave to the Muchachos before Finals in '74. (Taken from an interview with Jeff in April, 2000 by DCW)

Kievit: In 1974 we were actually in the hunt for the championship. Because of a clerical error on our part we ended up competing in the prelims on a different day than all of the other DCI member corps. We had a different panel of judges with an entirely different frame of reference. When the prelims were over, we found ourselves near the bottom of the heap of finalists, clearly out of any contention for the championship. Everyone knew that the results of the finals pretty much matched the prelims. There was rarely any movement, and even if there was, from eighth to first? I don't think so.

What do you say to the faithful? When it was my turn to give the speech before the finals' performance, I felt like the grim reaper himself and said, "There's no way we're going to win this thing. It's impossible. So please, just let it go. Have some fun and let it fly."

Bedlam broke out after that performance and we were swarmed by fans grabbing pieces of our uniforms or anything they could get their hands on as souvenirs. Judges came to find me and apologize for what had happened. I assured them that we were OK, for we had finally given a performance so filled with excitement, spontaneity, passion, and energy that where we placed in the competition was of no consequence. We learned valuable lessons that day. And that particular performance, over the top as it was, is still regarded as one of the most dramatic in drum corps history.

Interesting topic by the OP. Good food for thought and discussion, but I prefer winner takes all Saturday.

In most cases the right corps will win. This year there was no clear favorite. BD won plenty of shows and they were second place at every regional (Minn., San Antonio, Atlanta, and even Allentown if you combine scores). Cadets won a few regionals. Crown won 2. Bluecoats were knocking on the door all summer. Any one of these corps could have made the jump to first with just the right changes and/or performance. So to me BD is very deserving. Nothing was taken away from Crown, they simply didn't have their best Finals performance.

In the end I think most of us just see 4 championship caliber corps this year. That's mostly what I remember. No dominant group. All four were equals by and large.

• Like 1

DCI is certainly a little schizophrenic about scoring in Indy. Captions are averaged but championships are one night only.

Strangely enough I'm ok with it. Reward consistency in the caption awards. Reward the show of the evening at finals.

We just need to make sure the finals panel is actually qualified to judge their caption :ninja:

I agree with this, did they do the ToC Champion this year? That was based on averages - so, you kind of have/had both

I have heard people discuss using the USGA method of scoring. You have 4 or 5 major regional shows. Your placement at each regional show gains you so many points and also determines performance order at future shows. (None of this TOC crap).

World Finals would be much like the PGA Championship. You have a WINNER for each given day (quarters, semis, finals). The WINNER on Saturday is the World Champion, but they may not be ranked No. 1 in the World rankings. Jason Day just won the PGA Championship, but he is not the No. 1 ranked golfer in the world.

Example: in 2008 Phantom ultimately wins the Championship finals night. They are the World Champions for that year, but the Blue Devils would still be the No. 1 ranked drum corps in the world. They won just about every show but finals.

Caption Awards would be for Saturday only, but you can also have Caption Rankings for the year (based on regional shows and finals).

This might make things even more interesting, but comparing golf to drum corps is difficult and it could lead to confusion.

That being the case, isn't it more fair to provide triple the amount of eyes? An average of the three nights would do that.

After reading this proposal, I really do have to wonder, for the corps that are almost guaranteed to be in the Saturday show (which is at least 10 of the 12) what is the point of the Thursday and Friday shows?

To perform! That's the thing for most people. I think we often get a bit off base with winning. I loved just being out there and feeling energy of the crowd and performing the best show possible.