Cadets 2016

Tobias

^ don't disagree at all - LOVE the musical book!! The closer and ballad are my two favorites so far this year and the opener and #2 are awesome as well....

• Like 1

I guess I just disagree. Need to see Cadets at least up on Cavaliers 1.5 points or more tonight or the show is an issue and needs major rewrites

Cadets can't settle for second tier and that 2+ point gap the other night alludes to that as the reality

Disagree and I'll wait to see them in Clifton July 1. Cleaning/changes don't come in 48 hours but one week of a 7 week tour I need to see big strides in the right direction.

I remember Cavies 2010 first show in Allentown. I was with some Cadets I marched with and they laughed (shockingly) at how bad they were. Shocked how they had fallen. Crown was in next and it was the most amazing thing I've ever seen in June.

Finals:

Cavies 2

Crown 4

Cadets 5.

It's a long season. IF Cadets WANT and DESERVE to medal, let's see what they've got over the next few weeks

Edited by Tobias

^ don't disagree at all - LOVE the musical book!! The closer and ballad are my two favorites so far this year and the opener and #2 are awesome as well....

Yes. Great moments there already. Development of concept, cleaning and some improvement/effects in that grid feature. Ending is obviously a placeholder as most corps.

Is it me or do the Cadets seem to try too hard with their shows? I loved last year, but it just seemed like they just didn't have enough time to really clean what they needed to. This year is starting to see the same, even though it's still early. As a horn player, that Villa Borghese lick sounds so so difficult to pull off after already blowing a bit on a mellophone, that will be a really hard part to perfect, it makes me kinda nervous with doubt honestly. I feel they could learn from BK despite the current controversy that maybe if it's not ready, don't force it and act like it is. I'm hoping they'll do better though. Also, am I the only one who has noticed the violin part in pre-show, I'm pretty sure, is a recording? She's pretending to play it, but it just sounds 1. a bit artificial and 2. the tuning is perfect every time, it seems a bit sketchy. Also when she has the solo back and forth with the trumpet, you can tell she's really playing by her vibrato, intonation and the way it sounds out of the amp. I wonder why they're having her do that.

• Like 1

I hope to catch some Cadets rehearsal today before the Whitewater show. I believe they're doing a clinic at Perkins Stadium.

Love the show this year! Of course I have issues with it that they'll hopefully iron out.

Here's my thoughts:

Make the transition between the two halves of the show clearer.

Work on the props. Maybe better coverings are coming. Right now I feel the "cakes" look out of proportion, clumsy and truthfully, downright amateurish.

Those are my only two complaints.

Go Cadets!

Cadets have been hit hard by injuries in Spring Training. It could be 2 weeks before the subs know what they are doing, but maybe they will amaze. Holy bass line, guard, baritones, mellos. Tuba sub hit ground running and the high schoolers are back in action from home visits at graduation. Pit, snares, and quads are only ones unscathed. I love this show and the team this year. We will take it step by step but expect some sweet enhancements before writing anything off. They have the music and firepower to win best brass again. The've added the guard drama piece to put it over the top. This is going to be one relentless drive to the top so put on your seat belts.

Where are the posts from Capybara? He was in fine form in 2015.

Cadets have been hit hard by injuries in Spring Training. It could be 2 weeks before the subs know what they are doing, but maybe they will amaze. Holy bass line, guard, baritones, mellos. Tuba sub hit ground running and the high schoolers are back in action from home visits at graduation. Pit, snares, and quads are only ones unscathed. I love this show and the team this year. We will take it step by step but expect some sweet enhancements before writing anything off. They have the music and firepower to win best brass again. The've added the guard drama piece to put it over the top. This is going to be one relentless drive to the top so put on your seat belts.

He must be out getting a "p."

Cap(p)ybara http://www.rebsig.com/capybara/

I'm keeping silent on the Cadets until I see some changes and cleaning done! I like their music and new approach this year so far!

• Like 2

Disagree and I'll wait to see them in Clifton July 1. Cleaning/changes don't come in 48 hours but one week of a 7 week tour I need to see big strides in the right direction.

I remember Cavies 2010 first show in Allentown. I was with some Cadets I marched with and they laughed (shockingly) at how bad they were. Shocked how they had fallen. Crown was in next and it was the most amazing thing I've ever seen in June.

Finals:

Cavies 2

Crown 4

Cadets 5.

It's a long season. IF Cadets WANT and DESERVE to medal, let's see what they've got over the next few weeks

They were laughing at how bad Cavies were? They beat Cavies by 1.45....LOL. And, from my days Cadets were one of the classiest corps (along with SCV and Madison), in victory and defeat....so I am surprised to hear Cadets members were mocking another corps.

Edited by henry7184

I think one thing to keep in mind are the design staffs of the other "top tier" corps.

For the most part:

Crown's staff = Pride of Cincinnati

Bluecoats sfaff = SCV winterguard staff

Blue Devils staff = Well Scott Chandler all you need to say - WGI champion designer for how many years in a row.

These are proven winners in the pageantry arts - WGI and BOA judges consider those 3 staffs the apex of design.

Cadets visual design staff is largely unproven. Yes Claudia Taylor Johnson does well on the TX BOA circuit, and Mechanicsburg and Black Gold are solid in WGI, but have they don't have the reputations of these other designers.

It is what it is....

Edited by cadet93
  • Like 2