Cadets 2016

Tobias

I mean it's not like they're buying plane tickets to perform overseas....

I did donate like a billion dollars so they better have some money left lol...

I'm still looking forward to seeing this show live. I'm still disappointed I didn't get to see it in Clifton. Ahh I was looking so forward to that. PPL park will be excellent though. That stadium is absolutely fantastic for drum corps.

Yes! PPL Park seems to amplify the sound! Now, when I go to Allentown the day after, Chester, the corps don't have the volume they did the night before.

• Like 1

Yes! PPL Park seems to amplify the sound! Now, when I go to Allentown the day after, Chester, the corps don't have the volume they did the night before.

Which is ultimately why I do not attend Allentown the day after, especially if I am attending finals.

Which is ultimately why I do not attend Allentown the day after, especially if I am attending finals.

Ditto. Allentown after PPL is like eating a salad after your ice cream sundae

Such better sound, lights, seating etc in PPL

Ditto. Allentown after PPL is like eating a salad after your ice cream sundae

Such better sound, lights, seating etc in PPL

I still love Allentown though. I like the simplicity of the event. Next year, I'm planning on going to finals but still want to go to Allentown too.

• Like 1

I still love Allentown though. I like the simplicity of the event. Next year, I'm planning on going to finals but still want to go to Allentown too.

I say do it. Allentown still has a lot of sentimental value, especially to Cadets alum. That's usually the place where I run into a lot of people I've marched with. I actually haven't been to Allentown since 2011.

Some unique and special "qualities" in enjoying drum corps at Allentown were lost when the stadium renovation occurred. The front sideline is considerably moved back further from the grandstand. I believe the volume was reduced, not just by distance, but by the change to B-flat and better controlled brass lines that value technique over decibels.

Can't imagine why the front sideline isn't temporarily moved closer for the event. Stadium officials have indicated to me they can and will do it if requested. Anyone think such an adjustment would confuse the performers?

Yes! PPL Park seems to amplify the sound!

OK wow, I'm glad it's not just me who noticed that. The sound there last year blew me away.

• Like 1

As much as I absolutely love Cadets, I have to agree with you. Stuff like that should be decided before the season starts. It is not beneficial to the members when these types of drastic decisions are being made deep into the season.

George is a pretty old-school guy in some ways. I know he seemed pretty reluctant at the April show and tell when discussing the addition of movement and character development to the show. He felt it was needed to be current, but at the same time, my feeling was that he was being dragged reluctantly into the modern era.

• Like 3

OK wow, I'm glad it's not just me who noticed that. The sound there last year blew me away.

I think it's the best show for that point in the season before finals. It's when you see a lot of the corps at their best and hear the great playing without the bothersome echo of LOS.

George is a pretty old-school guy in some ways. I know he seemed pretty reluctant at the April show and tell when discussing the addition of movement and character development to the show. He felt it was needed to be current, but at the same time, my feeling was that he was being dragged reluctantly into the modern era.

That seems understandable and there was one point during that broadcast that they had early in this season where he seemed uncomfortable talking about certain aspects of the show. I guess its a sign of the times.

I'm looking forward to a new uniform, but I think it's a little ridiculous.

This is a direct byproduct of not being able to settle in on a CLEAR concept/theme in the off season.

... Just can't seem to get out of their own way sometimes.

I think their new ending they're saving for finals week will clarify their theme, but until then, it's vague. Here are new endings the shows will adopt to help save clarify their thematic argument and add to their depth of concept:

Cavies: New ending, everybody throws down their propaganda props at the end in defiance of deceptive messages. They take off their hats, revealing their bare faces, a sign of individuality and thwarting of "getting in line".

Crown. Right now it's a predictable revenge story. Now in the new ending, the avenger doesn't shoot the perpetrator who killed his father, he abandons perpetrator in the desert-- the perpetrator must save himself now. A social commentary on the hope of thwarting gun violence. Otherwise, this show has no depth of concept and is too simple a story without any social commentary or relevance.

Cadets: The last two holdouts, the soloist statues are beckoned to come to life, and they do.