Cadets 2016

Tobias

Variety happened?

Not really. Someone a while back measured total hornline play times vs. those of 25 years ago, and found that the brass sections of today play on average minutes less. You'd think with how much more talented the performers are these days, it'd be the opposite.

Not really. Someone a while back measured total hornline play times vs. those of 25 years ago, and found that the brass sections of today play on average minutes less. You'd think with how much more talented the performers are these days, it'd be the opposite.

Show design from then and now is very different, as are the points of emphasis on judging sheets.

Man, if this doesn't epitomize the modern arranging trend of "ensemble plays for a bit, drum break, ensemble plays for a bit, drum break..." I don't know what does.

Remember when there was one drum break, toward the end of the show? Whatever happened to that?

well... that's the start of tune 2 which has the drum break in the 2 minute clip plus a couple pit breaks

i saw the Cadets in a quick parade shot on NBC news tonight. just a quick (one second) shot but it was them in their traditional colors.

i saw the Cadets in a quick parade shot on NBC news tonight. just a quick (one second) shot but it was them in their traditional colors.

Cadets 2 are in the original uniforms today at Baltimore area parades.

• Like 1

As for why the BD guard has won 8 straight Zingalis -- well I won't comment but there is a reason and it's pretty clear to those who know where to look.

Is it on the recap sheets from finals weekend under the column marked "Color Guard"?

... 'Cause that's were I've been looking and they all seem to line up.

• Like 1

No hurt feelings, I hope, because I like most of what 'gar says.

Nah we're good!

Cadets show is melodic enough for my tastes, but falls victim to chop 'n' bop to a much greater degree, specifically in Pines of Rome. Just compare to Star's rendition, even with its own small drum break (1). I miss having each delineated production hold my attention from beginning to end.

Edited by Hrothgar15

Man, if this doesn't epitomize the modern arranging trend of "ensemble plays for a bit, drum break, ensemble plays for a bit, drum break..." I don't know what does.

Remember when there was one drum break, toward the end of the show? Whatever happened to that?

Those Bluecoats members aged out over 20 years ago...

Hrothgar thinks that what Bloo's playing this year is "melodic", so I wouldn't buy too much into what he has to say about music.

No hurt feelings, I hope, because I like most of what 'gar says.

Bruh.

I do agree with them in that I wish Cadets would play even more of Pines. I don't think I will ever say in my life "that corps is playing far too much Pines for my liking," though. Especially that trombone timbre :w00t:

• Like 1