2016 Uniform Thread

BD, however, had had brass for a few years prior...Star was in it's FIRST year.

Yes, Spirit's entry in year 2 is impressive, but NO corps has EVER started out with what Star had across the board....NO ONE.

I agree that no one had the fast rise Star did, but Spirit's rise is more impressive in my opinion. For one thing Spirit did not have the financial backing of Star. Star was also founded in an area with plenty of drum corps, for Spirit drum corps was all but unheard of. By the mid 1980's marchers were auditioning and traveling distances to march with a corps which was less the case when Spirit was formed. If anything, for me Stars meteoric rise may have ultimately hurt them. I'm well versed in Star's decision to go the "Blast!" route, but I've always felt it was partly a case of sour grapes due to not winning the title in 1993. I respect what Star did, they changed drum corps both competitively and how corps are funded and managed, but their departure from the competition field was a disappointment.

However, this is a uniform thread. If Star marched today, their uniforms would be top notch as they were back in the day, with perhaps the exception of the "Star Wars" cg uniforms.

• Like 1

I guess my thought is the Troopers are, to me, the one corps that has stayed true to their uniform roots.

To me, the Cadets are the corps that fits this description. Even when they went all-black for a part of the season, it was essentially a photo-negative of their stock uniform.

Take a stroll through the Troopers' uniforms through the years. Lots of changes -- though of course some consistent elements.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

This is why I'm not a fan of releasing sketches. Rarely are they indicative of what the final uniform will look like (for good or ill). If a corps really feels they need the PR from this kind of thing, take a photo of the sample, which you clearly have this close to the season.

I'm going through this process with my band. We had the sketch finalized in January, and evaluated the sample last week (made a few adjustments too). Its a very interesting process if you've never done it.

• Like 2

To me troops new uniform looks a lot like a guard uniform, regardless though, their uniforms aren't that old, do they really need new ones?

To me troops new uniform looks a lot like a guard uniform, regardless though, their uniforms aren't that old, do they really need new ones?

To paraphrase the discussions of DCI World Class the past 20 years, the activity is tending towards outdoor WGI with all MMs as guard members.

• Like 1

Still too urban cowboy for me, but it's not my call. I guess my thought is the Troopers are, to me, the one corps that has stayed true to their uniform roots.

I know of 2 other corps that have stayed pretty close to their roots and I believe you used to be in one of them.As a reminder they are in red, black & white. Now if you are talking guard unis, guards have had the most dramatic changes though the years, even to the point they are not referred to as uniforms anymore, but costumes.

Sleeves make a big difference. Much improved.

Mike

I also question the hat. I think the drawing is a poor one . Might look better in person , But probably not on a 16 yr old.

I know of 2 other corps that have stayed pretty close to their roots and I believe you used to be in one of them.As a reminder they are in red, black & white.

Having Waldo on the front, a different shade of red, and hardly any white, is not close enough for some.