Blue Devils 2016

Sure, sure. Well, on the vocabulary question, Idk that there was deservedly a huge gap between BD and Crown last year, or any year. They have two very different, but equally valid and impressive, design philosophies - they're the best guards in the world. BD favors hidden demand, like the corps overall. Crown's writing is trickier on the surface; BD's writing is tricky, but it often takes a more trained eye to see why, for example, the big circular flag feature in '1930' was so gnarly. For BD, a single toss counts more, because every toss feels like a feature: they're staged, executed and timed to the music so you can't miss them, which also means they must be absolutely flawless. The 3 huge tosses in the closer are classic BD. Crown tosses so much, and with such ease and elegance, that you likely won't catch them all unless you're specifically watching the guard but you'll always be impressed.

Last year was Crown's year, for me. This year, it's clearly BD

What you say about BD is right BUT it used to mean to those who do this as smart writing , Not just doing a skill for the sake of doing it over and over and over. Im not referring to Crown or anyone else. All I am saying is, in ALL areas a top corps it is supposed to be about setting new standards in the activity. Crown does this in many ways and there is no doubt BD has also. If someone really wants to look ,BD has gone back in time to also do this . The winged show was for sure an old concept used way way back, nothing new yet revamped to today.

All corps need to be free enough imo to decide what style THEY choose to demonstrate BUT variety, complexity, ability, concept driven, multi level etc etc. I do think there are many corps who do demonstrate this .

How one approaches their own style, and does it display the things I mentioned, is what is or should be judged, not what was a choice of style BUT how their choice was demonstrated. It is not a judges job to decide what style should or should not be done BUT how one actually does it.

• Like 1

I’m sick of this what you can’t see the hidden demand, they get credit for the space in-between the tosses, staging 1 toss in 2 minutes is better than 4 in 2 minutes in a performance caption. It’s repeating hype, propaganda and besides being woefully inaccurate, it makes people look like they haven’t a clue and are just spouting OMG BD PWN!!!!!! you know sometimes it is a duck

its gutless judges afraid to rattle the BD cage so they play it safe and give them the nod. It’s also prompting 1 style of guard design over all other for 10 years now? How stale is that? Very.. Personally, I don’t mind that the women in BD never use riffles or the guys never use sabers but guess what, that’s a massive miss on display of skills, vocabulary and achievement that many other corps preform. Where's their credit? BDs guard win last year over Crown didn’t tell me BD was superior in a hidden ways I too dumb to understand, that poor dancing is demand no, it told me the judging is very bad and lo and behold DCI is trying to clean up judging this year by hiding caption scores from the judges. Guard judging is notoriously political compared to the other captions, it always has been.

I say this as one that saw Regiment and Cavaliers win WGI, yeah look it up and tell me that my eyes lie Then we’ll discuss the merits of the drum line sitting out the ballad on the back sideline so they can build demand with hidden tricky skill points through staging

good grief

So because a guard judge or STFU.

I’m sick of this what you can’t see the hidden demand, they get credit for the space in-between the tosses, staging 1 toss in 2 minutes is better than 4 in 2 minutes in a performance caption. It’s repeating hype, propaganda and besides being woefully inaccurate, it makes people look like they haven’t a clue and are just spouting OMG BD PWN!!!!!! you know sometimes it is a duck

its gutless judges afraid to rattle the BD cage so they play it safe and give them the nod. It’s also prompting 1 style of guard design over all other for 10 years now? How stale is that? Very.. Personally, I don’t mind that the women in BD never use riffles or the guys never use sabers but guess what, that’s a massive miss on display of skills, vocabulary and achievement that many other corps preform. Where's their credit? BDs guard win last year over Crown didn’t tell me BD was superior in a hidden ways I too dumb to understand, that poor dancing is demand no, it told me the judging is very bad and lo and behold DCI is trying to clean up judging this year by hiding caption scores from the judges. Guard judging is notoriously political compared to the other captions, it always has been.

I say this as one that saw Regiment and Cavaliers win WGI, yeah look it up and tell me that my eyes lie Then we’ll discuss the merits of the drum line sitting out the ballad on the back sideline so they can build demand with hidden tricky skill points through staging

good grief

Wait, what?

Tomorrow night in Denver Cavies are the first corps that BD will see that has went head to head with Coats/Crown/Cadets correct?

That would be correct

Thank you. Wasn't sure. Should be a good benchmark to see how BD stacks up with the three powers from the east.

Thank you. Wasn't sure. Should be a good benchmark to see how BD stacks up with the three powers from the east.

Interesting. What were the results when Cavies went against those three earlier this season?

Cavies are my sleeper medal contender come August.