Blue Devils 2016

Sure, sure. Well, on the vocabulary question, Idk that there was deservedly a huge gap between BD and Crown last year, or any year. They have two very different, but equally valid and impressive, design philosophies - they're the best guards in the world. BD favors hidden demand, like the corps overall. Crown's writing is trickier on the surface; BD's writing is tricky, but it often takes a more trained eye to see why, for example, the big circular flag feature in '1930' was so gnarly. For BD, a single toss counts more, because every toss feels like a feature: they're staged, executed and timed to the music so you can't miss them, which also means they must be absolutely flawless. The 3 huge tosses in the closer are classic BD. Crown tosses so much, and with such ease and elegance, that you likely won't catch them all unless you're specifically watching the guard but you'll always be impressed.

Last year was Crown's year, for me. This year, it's clearly BD

Crown certainly had a more "in your face" approach last season, which reflected the nature of the music they used. They're certainly at the top of the guard heap, along with BD and the Bluecoats. When talking about a gap, I'm speaking more in terms of movement and combined movement/equipment vocabulary than equipment demand BTW. Devs' design was just more layered ("hidden demand"), which from a judges' standpoint works well, as you see new things every viewing and it encourages ascending credit as a result. This year, I'm sensing a shift to a more aggressive staging and equipment-centric design, activity-wide. Blue Devils are MUCH more unison (or smaller splits) this year with their equipment book. Not sure I'm loving the addition of streamers to the sabres, which are used extensively in the show. More visual impact, but IMHO they can look sloppy, even if performed perfectly. However, if they're going to use them that widely and that much, they'll need a much bigger visual presence with a usually hard to see piece of equipment. Will be interesting to see how it all sorts out in the color guard caption, but with DCI's new "transparency" policy (lol), we can't even Monday Morning QB the situation. Not sure how anyone thought this was a good idea.

• Like 1

I’m sick of this what you can’t see the hidden demand, they get credit for the space in-between the tosses, staging 1 toss in 2 minutes is better than 4 in 2 minutes in a performance caption. It’s repeating hype, propaganda and besides being woefully inaccurate, it makes people look like they haven’t a clue and are just spouting OMG BD PWN!!!!!! you know sometimes it is a duck

its gutless judges afraid to rattle the BD cage so they play it safe and give them the nod. It’s also prompting 1 style of guard design over all other for 10 years now? How stale is that? Very.. Personally, I don’t mind that the women in BD never use riffles or the guys never use sabers but guess what, that’s a massive miss on display of skills, vocabulary and achievement that many other corps preform. Where's their credit? BDs guard win last year over Crown didn’t tell me BD was superior in a hidden ways I too dumb to understand, that poor dancing is demand no, it told me the judging is very bad and lo and behold DCI is trying to clean up judging this year by hiding caption scores from the judges. Guard judging is notoriously political compared to the other captions, it always has been.

I say this as one that saw Regiment and Cavaliers win WGI, yeah look it up and tell me that my eyes lie Then we’ll discuss the merits of the drum line sitting out the ballad on the back sideline so they can build demand with hidden tricky skill points through staging

good grief

Nominating this for ridiculous post of the year. The guys never use sabres? Did you even watch the show last year? Or the year before? It's more than just checking boxes on a list.

• Like 2

Interesting. What were the results when Cavies went against those three earlier this season?

Cavies are my sleeper medal contender come August.

Last meet Cadets beat Cavies by 2.5 points and Cadets are averaging now about 1.5 behind Bloo so BD should be 4+ points over Cavies?
  • Like 1

Interesting. What were the results when Cavies went against those three earlier this season?

Cavies are my sleeper medal contender come August.

Cavies was 2.1 points behind Crown on July 3rd. That was the most recent match up with the east powers. I know that was 6 days ago, but i think BD will be three points clear of Cavies tonight. And i really like what the Cavies are doing. But BD is just on another level.

Cavies was 2.1 points behind Crown on July 3rd. That was the most recent match up with the east powers. I know that was 6 days ago, but i think BD will be three points clear of Cavies tonight. And i really like what the Cavies are doing. But BD is just on another level.

Come on now, every show is like the first time. Cavs sweep this one. :sarcasm:

• Like 2

Come on now, every show is like the first time. Cavs sweep this one. :sarcasm:

Boy would DCP go crazy tonight if that happened lol.

Three points sounds about right. #### near put up four on SCV the other night.

I'm wondering if Cavies can beat SCV tonight.

So because a guard judge or STFU.

That wasn't necessary. How about you explain why Cowtown's points are wrong instead of launching ad hominem attacks.