Official 2016 Blue Stars

I guess if tesmusic doesn't like it, he doesn't like it. That's cool, might not necessarily agree at all with the overwritten comment, but oh well.

I don't wanna see this snarky Madison versus Blue Stars thing pop up again this year, it was pretty light last year, which was refreshing. I'd love to see both of them kick ### honestly.

• Like 2

I guess if tesmusic doesn't like it, he doesn't like it. That's cool, might not necessarily agree at all with the overwritten comment, but oh well.

I don't wanna see this snarky Madison versus Blue Stars thing pop up again this year, it was pretty light last year, which was refreshing. I'd love to see both of them kick ### honestly.

Agree completely, with Blue Stars finishing in 5th and Madison in 6th ;-) .
  • Like 3

All in good fun of course, but if he wants to come to this thread and criticize the writing, then we can give him a little shot back. Just a little friendly competition between two Wisconsin corps.

All in good fun of course, but if he wants to come to this thread and criticize the writing, then we can give him a little shot back. Just a little friendly competition between two Wisconsin corps.

Especially when thats all they do when you go into theirs.

Back on topic. I finally watched the broadcast and that drumline/pit can be top 5 by the end of this season. Horns have improved a ton from last years premier so the only test left is how will the visual package and effects work out. They did their homework in the offseason and it is paying off.

Horns have improved a ton from last years premier

I've read the same thing about every single corps in DCI. So as a non-brass guy, I ask: Is this possible? Is it possible that all 20+ DCI World Class horn lines are objectively, becoming better? And if so, why? Teaching technique? Better music instruction in the public schools? An increasing concentration of music-students in DCI horn lines? Better equipment? And if everyone is getting better, what's the limit? Is there any ceiling to the improvement that 70-80 young adults can achieve from one year to the next?

And why is it we never hear of the opposite? Is it not at least statistically probable that at least one horn line has decreased in quality since 2015?

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

I've read the same thing about every single corps in DCI. So as a non-brass guy, I ask: Is this possible? Is it possible that all 20+ DCI World Class horn lines are objectively, becoming better? And if so, why? Teaching technique? Better music instruction in the public schools? An increasing concentration of music-students in DCI horn lines? Better equipment? And if everyone is getting better, what's the limit? Is there any ceiling to the improvement that 70-80 young adults can achieve from one year to the next?

And why is it we never hear of the opposite? Is it not at least statistically probable that at least one horn line has decreased in quality since 2015?

Go to the Phantom Regiment thread. We have plenty of people there bashing how awful they are

Last year they were under a new caption head so everybody was learning the process and how they teach. This year there has been a foundation for the hornline to build off of. When you get new caption heads they normally change things to the way they like. You could have a returning vet line but be hurt with the changing philosophy. Year 2 with Miller he has been able to keep the staff and members to build a bigger better sound. They did switch instruments too which can be another reason the horns sound better. Not many people are fans of the jupiter/mapex series.

Actually, yes. The quality of musicianship is waaaay above what it used to be, and keeps getting better. Especially in the non top-6 groups on down.

But everyone still has to get ranked and rated on a finite scale, so numbers sometimes don't reflect that, unfortunately.

Mike

Thing is, judges have been known to not reward difficult shows just for the sake of them being difficult...you gotta execute, plain and simple. A too difficult show is not gonna garner a lot of points if it's not done well. No idea what the visual program will look like, but it's obvious the music is written to showcase their percussion strength. I'm sure the visual will reflect a lot of hard guard work. I like it because they've designed a show that reflects its strengths. We'll see what the judges say...but remember they are still competing with corps that have been crushing them. 95pts is probably the ceiling and they might hit 91-92. 8th would be a huge success.

• Like 1

Hopefully I'm not putting a jinx on the season; but I think it might be safe to say that the Blue Stars will definitely be a top 12 corps, at the very least. With the strength of their percussion, alone; I just don't see them missing out on the Saturday night show.
I also agree with BoyWonder1911; it's obvious this show was constructed to showcase the corps strengths. That's smart design, right there. From what I've seen and heard, this show is already leaps and bounds above last year. A lot of lessons were learned and necessary changes made. FCO!

• Like 1