Who would win of the four 99.0+?

Speculative. Nobody will ever know what show wins against what year. What about Madison Scouts in 1975 or BD in 1976? Or Garfield Cadets in 1983 or 84? Different scoring systems. Different eras. But outstanding in those years.

Edited by afd

Speculative. Nobody will ever know what show wins against what year. What about Madison Scouts in 1975 or BD in 1976? Or Garfield Cadets in 1983 or 84? Different scoring systems. Different eras. But outstanding in those years.

It's a game. Play along.

• Like 2

I was in attendance for all of those scores /shows

My rank for performance, most worthy of score

Cadets 05 oh so clean they would have won

Cavies 02 visually, very clean, some dirt in drums and guard

Blue Devils 14 some dirt in the brass at the start, guard and visual dirt (yes, being picky)

Blue Devils 2009 meh, easy brass book, lot of visual dirt, more a product of an off year for DCI

Oddly, Blue Devils 2014 is the only show on the list I enjoy and still revisit. Cadets I only like up to drum speak, Cavies music bores me, more prone to watch it with other music playing and the at 4 times speed and Blue Devils 2009, after the opening brass hit, yuck

Frameworks was the most innovative show in drum corps up to that point, and arguably, ever since.

From 2000-2002, the Cavaliers redefined the types of programs that could be put on the field, not only visually, but musically, with that ballad in 2002.

And not only that, but 2002 was just about as clean as a whistle. For this reason, I'll put Frameworks on top.

2005 Cadets told us that yes, a drum corps show can be a drama and still be a great show, and can win. Too bad they followed it up with a dud.

2014 Blue Devils, well, look who they beat? Bluecoats? Everyone had an off year that year except for the BD and Bluecoats, but Bluecoats had the best year they ever had. Can't expect a corps like that to come out and threaten first place. Heck, the Blue Stars color guard beat Bloo that year.

BD executed very well that year, but they didn't have much competition.

First of all, IMO a 20 in any sub caption is unrealistic...

There is no way that EVERYTHING was perfect. There could always been something that could have been better. Not every MM had the exact same this that or the other. Therefore, I believe that the highest a judge should be able to give for Content, Achievement, Repertoire, Performance, etc should be 99, so the max for any sub-caption would be 19.8, making the highest total score 99.0.

Also, there are some caveats regarding the judging panel those years...

For GE: In 2002 and 2005 there was only 1 judge each for GE Music and GE Visual, but in 2009 and 2014 there were 2 judges for each for GE Music and GE Visual, their 2 scores were averaged together.

For Percussion: In 2002 and 2009 there was only 1 percussion judge, but in 2005 and 2014 there were 2 percussion judges, their 2 scores were averaged together.

Recalculating the scores with a max of 19.8 (in place of any 19.9s and 20.0s)...

GE Totals: Blue Devils 2014, Cadets 2005, and Cavaliers 2002 would all have a 39.6, Blue Devils 2009 at 39.5

Visual Totals: Blue Devils 2014, Cadets 2005, and Blue Devils 2009 would all have a 29.7, Cavaliers 2002 at 29.65

Music Totals: Blue Devils 2014 and Cadets 2005 would have a 29.6, Blue Devils 2009 at 29.45, Cavaliers 2002 at 29.4

Overall Totals: Blue Devils 2014 and Cadets 2005 would have a 98.9, Blue Devils 2009 and Cavaliers 2002 at 98.65

Thoughts on a 98.9 tie...

As it has been noted, Cadets 2005 is the only corps win all sub-captions.

Brass: Blue Devils 2014 was up 19.8 to 19.7 over Cadets 2005

Total Percussion: Cadets 2005 was up 19.7 to 19.6 over Blue Devils 2014

Field Percussion: Cadets 2005 up 19.8 to 19.5 over Blue Devils 2014

Ensemble Percussion: Blue Devils 2014 was up 19.7 to 19.6 over Cadets 2005

Given all of this I'd give the nod to Cadets 2005.

Edited by snare_guy_83
  • Like 1

As good as Blue Devils were in 2009... another great BD corps... I was scratching my head a bit....OK, a lot... over the show theme.

My grandparents and parents lived through the Great Depression. Trust me, they weren't doing any dancing on chairs during those years. :tongue: Nothing about that show harkened to that era, again IMO.

To me, it seemed as if the designers said "Hey...let's toss in 'Happy Days Are Here Again' from time to time and call the whole thing '1930.'"

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

Frameworks. I think I lot of people just forget how good it was.

To Frameworks' credit, 2002 Cavaliers are the only corps on this list to score a 99+ at Semis and Finals.

• Like 2