Tour of Champions Massillon, Ohio 8/8/16

If I could see the rest of that recap I could tell you............

O.O

Lothype's Facebook page has a small bit of the recap from yesterday

• Like 1

I would like to thank you kevingamin for the wonderful commentary about the performing corps.

At one point, I was thinking this was the most enjoyable thread I had read all season long. Great commentary from kevingamin, funny banter back and forth between users...then it seemed to get ugly again. Sigh.

I will be in the theater watching on Thursday...then watching the streaming of semis and finals - wishing I was seeing these shows live because I know that there is always something a little lost in translation if not experiencing the shows live.

Good luck to all the corps. Fanstastic shows all around!! You have worked extremely hard all summer to entertain us and entertained we are! :inlove: :worthy:

• Like 2

The Other Awards of the Night:

The bad news is these awards were voted on by a committee of one. :unsure: The good news is the results were unanimous. :biggrin:

Gutting it out Award: Phantom wins this hands down. The corps came out for the standstill with about a third of their members missing. It looked like the entire drumline was there, half the tubas were missing. The crowd was told it was a 24 hour virus. The performance was strong by the members who were there. They certainly added to The Committee's enjoyment of the evening. :cool:

Best Uniform: Vanguard, Scouts, Bluecoats

Best Guard Apparel: Crown, Vanguard. The new Vanguard apparel were very effective and dramatically helped to advance the story line. Crown gets major credit for dressing the guard up with sexy uniforms but in a classy way with the skirts, and dressing the girls as girls and boys as boys. Vanguard loses big time points for dressing their boys up like girls, but that doesn't change the fact that the feminine apparel was very effective visually.

Best Snare Line: (since this is what 95% of us remember and can hear) Cadets, Crown, Vanguard, Bluecoats, Blue Knights. BK line could play!

Most Musical Horn Line: Crown. Pitch, balance, blend and emotion, Crown had it all. Cadets #2. The Bluecoats were very effective in their use of screaming soloists which greatly aided in the conveying the excitement of their visual package.

Best Mello Section: Vanguard, Crown, Bluecoats. This may be why Vanguard is not winning music, because the mellos are just ripping on their parts with power and beauty. I don't know how that figures into the Music adjudication, but I can assure you the crowd loved them.

Loudest Horn Line: Crown, Cadets, Bluecoats, Blue Knights. Crown's ensemble playing is simply the best.

Electronics Mixing: This may sound like a strange category, but you really can hear a difference in the corps who do it right and the ones who have thunderous goo! Bluecoats #1, Crown #2. 'Coats have a five speaker set in a semi-circle from L-R 20-20. This helps the audience focus aurally on what the Bluecoats want them to focus on visually.

What makes them different is the tend to have the soloists position anchored to the sound of the nearest speaker, instead of routing the sound to the front sideline speakers like most of the rest do. It's very effective and opens up a palette of sound rather have the front sidelines work like your computer speakers at home.

Are there any Special Awards that I, uh I meant the Committee, missed?

I would've added Best Tuba Section to Vanguard 😉 when those tubas come across the field at the beginning, it absolutely kills me.
  • Like 1

I would go with Crown in second place. The Stagecoach as a minimalist visual symbol for the entire presentation is incredibly effective without having to hit you over the head with it.

For the "No Props" award Santa Clara Vanguard is just flat out old school drum corps in the finest tradition. For the reason alone I hope they win!

"old school drum corps" is probably the reason why they're not winning. Lots of people nowadays prefer running up and down ramps over marching.

Best make-up: Cadets. A one-corps entry, but a worthy winner. The evolution of the leading man is truly astounding. Compare the dude in a diaper to what we see now. It's literally something entirely different. Great work!

• Like 2

Where are people getting these recaps?

It's very illegal. To purgatory with all of you.... Or at least where the robber is going in Crown's show.

"old school drum corps" is probably the reason why they're not winning. Lots of people nowadays prefer running up and down ramps over marching.

And rolling around on the grass, waving tarps, standing on ladders, and having under-age kids pop out of books.

• Like 1

It's very illegal. To purgatory with all of you.... Or at least where the robber is going in Crown's show.

Are any actual laws being broken?

I would've added Best Tuba Section to Vanguard 😉 when those tubas come across the field at the beginning, it absolutely kills me.

I thought they needed to be a bit louder in that passage.