Tour of Champions Massillon, Ohio 8/8/16

Yep. There are corps who "deserve" to win, and that doesn't always happen. The argument can be made that Crown "deserved" to win last year. The argument can be made that BD "deserved" to win in '88. There are a plethora of shows that "deserved" to win, but did not.

Lots of components have to align for a corps to win a championship. That doesn't always happen.

No longer worth the time.

Edited by D41145

On a more serious note, this show happened 2 days ago and this thread is still going and getting a bit ridiculous. d41145 and JSD, if you want to continue this discussion on arrogance, maybe you should do so in PM and let this thread die...corps threads should be where this thread is. It should be 3 pages back by now.

Edited by UKSuperman

Well, given BD's history, I wouldn't be surprised, nor do I think you should be classified as arrogant for thinking that.

Thanks for that, but I got slammed last night for asserting that.

I wish the best for all the corps, as they all put in SO much effort in to what they do. Cadets are surging, and that will make this week interesting.

Thanks for that, but I got slammed last night for asserting that.

I wish the best for all the corps, as they all put in SO much effort in to what they do. Cadets are surging, and that will make this week interesting.

I wouldn't get bent out of shape over it. Some people can't accept how great the BD organization is. The reality is they're relatively unstoppable so it is not hard to believe that they could actually take it on Saturday night. I mean, they DO have the most experience at winning.

Edited by 2000Cadet

Well, given BD's history, I wouldn't be surprised, nor do I think you should be classified as arrogant for thinking that.

He didn't get in trouble for being a honk. He didn't say "BD will win" or "I hope BD will win" or "BD is EPIC".

He got in to trouble for this:

Nope. It has changed too many times, the staging has been sketchy (as far as it relates to promoting the story with the cologuard, etc.), and while it may be simple enough for "a child to follow it", it does not achieve the effect it was set out to achieve. They are a GREAT corps, but this year's show is lacking from a totality standpoint. Same thing with Bloo.

The sentimentality for either of those corps to win is currently outweighing rational thinking when it comes to assessing the shows on the field. Bloo is great, but there is no "there" for them. Crown is great, but there is no "story" outside of what they continue to tell fans via other ways besides their show.

BD has, once again, the total package. Beginning, middle, end, and my goodness...listen to the freaking ballad in and of itself. They are the better production, and if they lose, it will be based on judging that is founded in sentimental emotion and not objective evaluation of what is on the field.

So to paraphrase him..

If you're objective (ie NOT biased) it should be obvious to you that BD is superior in every way and if the judges don't put BD in 1st place, they are incompetent because they let some emotion influence their judgement.

So don't believe his "hey I'm just honking for my team".

He was indeed honking but phrased it in a way that insults all the other programs that might be contenders *and* he insults the judges (but only if BD doesn't win).

He kind of deserved the forum lashing he got :-)

IMO of course :biggrin:

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 6

He didn't get in trouble for being a honk. He didn't say "BD will win" or "I hope BD will win" or "BD is EPIC".

He got in to trouble for this:

So to paraphrase him..

If you're objective (ie NOT biased) it should be obvious to you that BD is superior in every way and if the judges don't put BD in 1st place, they are incompetent because they let some emotion influence their judgement.

So don't believe his "hey I'm just honking for my team".

He was indeed honking but phrased in a way that insults all the other programs that might be contenders *and* he insults the judges (but only if BD doesn't win).

He kind of deserved the forum lashing he got :-)

IMO of course :biggrin:

That was still nothing more than my opinion, based on my experience in the activity, and in no way was insulting to other programs, judges, or posters. If you took it as such, your "honking" was in the way.

I post based on my experience in the activity and knowing what the history of the activity is. BD has been on the receiving end of smack downs before, but it was because there were corps that were better. Truth be told, one would be hard pressed to find a year that they were the sentimental favorite to win. The opposite is actually true.

Like I posted before, it is the Emerald Marquis effect. Most folks root for the underdog. If Bloo wins this year, it is not because they have the best show. Cadets have a superior music book, Crown is great at what they do (and is racking up caption wins), but I believe that BD has the total package, once again.

That was still nothing more than my opinion, based on my experience in the activity, and in no way was insulting to other programs, judges, or posters. If you took it as such, your "honking" was in the way.

I post based on my experience in the activity and knowing what the history of the activity is. BD has been on the receiving end of smack downs before, but it was because there were corps that were better. Truth be told, one would be hard pressed to find a year that they were the sentimental favorite to win. The opposite is actually true.

Like I posted before, it is the Emerald Marquis effect. Most folks root for the underdog. If Bloo wins this year, it is not because they have the best show. Cadets have a superior music book, Crown is great at what they do (and is racking up caption wins), but I believe that BD has the total package, once again.

I don't think you can even see why what you said was insulting to other corps and the judges. I tried to make it more clear by paraphrasing you. But apparently that didn't help either. Pretty sad actually. Talk about having blue colored goggles on. But best of luck to your team.

Anyone else want to take a swing? Bueller? Anyone?

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

I wouldn't get bent out of shape over it. Some people can't accept how great the BD organization is. The reality is they're relatively unstoppable so it is not hard to believe that they could actually take it on Saturday night. I mean, they DO have the most experience at winning.

As do the Cadets.

That is why I was so hard on them in the Cadets thread, as to how it has been two years in a row that the color guard has been badly staged. I WANT them to be great. As I want SCV, Cavies, and Phantom to rise up and give us great performances. As a fan, it is fantastic to watch. Hell, I want Troopers to freaking make finals, for that program and for the activitiy as a whole. It is better when our history stays alive and well.

I am just posting this as but one example in defense of those jsd is accusing of having no reason to call him arrogant other than his innocent apple pie enthusiasm.

The reason they are so close competitively is because DCI needs it to be that way. From a "sheet" standpoint, BD is head and shoulders (once again) ahead of the competition. They could very well take third next week, but that won't be a reflection of what is on the field. It will reflect DCI's need to continue to promote their activity as a place where anyone can triumph...

I don't think you can even see why what you said was insulting to other corps and the judges. I tried to make it more clear by paraphrasing you. But apparently that didn't help either. Pretty sad actually. Talk about having blue colored goggles on. But best of luck to your team.

Anyone else want to take a swing? Bueller? Anyone?

I didn't insult anyone. If you read it as such, then you did not read what I wrote.

Objectively, based on the sheets, Bluecoats show is not the best of the top three (or, arguably, the top five). Is it fun? Yep. Is it exciting? Arguable and debatable. Is it the best designed show? I'm not sure about that, based on the sheets.

Why do you want some other folks to "take a swing" at me?