Tour of Champions Massillon, Ohio 8/8/16

For the record, jwillis was my seat mate tonight. GAK27 and I tried to do some male bonding at this show as well, but my schedule screwed that up for today. Still, I got to meet two forumites. How great is that? :cool:

It's 230am and I'm a bit tired, but Jwillis and I almost always agree, so it's easier just to have his secretary type up his notes and send them to me so I can sign them.

Tonight, we had our first disagreement! :sumo: (on the Crown ending. More later when I'm not so tired)

I'll leave a couple quick notes, then to bed.

I just got back from the show. I have never seen more people at the Massillon show than this one. Holy cow! Had to be over 8,000 in attendance.

All the corps put on a wail of a show, and the crowd was really into just about everyone. I thought intermission was a little too long, but the Bluecoats Alumni Corps performed and were a lot of fun, and there were so many people that they had to wait for most to get back to their seats.

As for the corps:

• Phantom Regiment was in exhibition due to illness in the corps. We were hearing close to 30 people. But let me tell you that their brass and percussion put on a show. In stand-still concert form they performed their show music and they were freakin amazing! They got a huge standing O. Pound for pound their brass line is as good as any out there. Definitely one of the best sounds of the night.

Phantom's standstill was just fantastic. They played their show (8 tubas) but man, that characteristic sound! It's as good as ANY in drum corps, bar none!

• Madison has a nice back end to their show, but the first 2/3 of the show just fall flat on me. They also were the biggest culprit of using too much synth bass. Way too much. I just think this show was a "miss" this year. Good performers.

Hard to believe this show won't make 12th! :sadlike: These guys are good!

• Blue Knights are really good. I enjoy the show. It's ethereal, modern, and feels like a modern dance recital with brass and percussion. But there is a lot to enjoy, and there are moments their brass and percussion really play some amazing stuff. The colors are coordinated exceptionally well. If they had one or two more impact moments in this show they could move higher.
  • Cavaliers, like Madison, were also one of the biggest synth bass users. It was simply WAY TOO much. I was expecting this show to have a greater impact on me, but it just fell flat most of the way through. However the ending is clever and well done. I think they've taken this thing about as far as they can. Their brass is better but still not in the league with the top 5 corps, and percussion didn't overwhelm me. Guard was wonderful though.

It sounded to me like all the brass and percussion were mic'd and ran through the sound system. It was not a good sound, it was an artificial sound. The horns might be in the center of the field and the sound is coming out of a speaker on the end. Not good.

• Santa Clara has one of the most beautiful shows you will ever see. It's just tremendous from start to finish. But the ending falls a bit flat, and I'm mainly talking about the section leading up to the Vanguard emblem formation. The soft part of the ending is wonderful. I was a little surprised Cadets beat them. I don't think that will happen in Indy, but you never know. Having seen both Cavaliers and Cadets now live, I just do not think Cavaliers are in The Cadets league yet. It felt to me like Cadets should have 2 pointed them or more.

At the end of the shield section at the end, the crowd tried to leap to their feet with a standing O (which several did) only to have to sit down again to watch the down ending. It completely took the steam out of the crowd when they desperately wanted to show the corps their love. Instead, golf claps. :unsure:

• The Cadets are flat out marching and playing beasts. Even when their show doesn't turn out as planned, they can still bring it with that brass and percussion of theirs. They were definitely on fire tonight and seemed very in control. The ending is still a mess and just feels flat. But musically this is a great show to listen to. Visually they are cleaning. The guard performed very well tonight. If SCV doesn't clean the feet and perhaps make a few enhancements, The Cadets can beat them -- as tonight was evidence.

Cadets trumpet section is from another planet, the articulation is just fantastic and clean as a whistle. Cadets trumpet tech sat with us during the performance and gave us some always-coveted inside information. As a brass guy Jon spoke his language, I'm just a dumb drummer. He was class all the way. :smile:

• Carolina Crown is sporting one of the best shows this summer. So fun, so bold, and they are cleaning nicely. Yes, this is a 3-corps race for the title. I'm rooting for Blooo, but Crown was definitely on fire tonight. Their brass line is so good, so balanced, and HOLY MOTHER of LOUD! The guard was on fire, and they have a very solid and amazing percussion section. If Blooo does not clean some feet issues and BD perhaps doesn't get the GE number they need, Crown can easily win this.

Loudest corps of the night (Cadets were 2nd, but Bloo is right there with them. I loved the new uplifting ending. :wub: Jon did not, apparently he likes his desperadoes shot by guard members with their guard guns. :giljotiini: (sorry, I did not have a guard gun emoji) According to all the people who sat around us, they agreed with Jon.

• Having said that, The Bluecoats were also on fire and the general effect in that show is just unreal. It's been a long time since I've seen a show with that level of amazing GE. Brass and percussion are also amazing. Guard was fabulous, and the Coats have some of the most fun music out there. If Bloo is clean at Finals, then it's over -- end of story. Nobody is beating that show if it's clean enough. Not even the great Blue Devils.

I thought Bloo won the show by a point or more. I was surprised to see how close the score was, it shows you what I (don't) know. It was a GREAT Bluecoats run tonight, and for their encore they replayed the entire show!

Thanks to all the corps!! Another amazing Massillon show in the books.

More later. :sleeping:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 3

This was a terrific night for drum corps. I love the passion and the bantering about. It's only because we've got terrific competition this year and 3 championship shows. I, for one, am very excited - too much right now in fact. Geez, it's going on 3 am. Got to get to bed! Enjoy what could turn out to be the greatest last week of a drum corps season DCI has ever seen.

• Like 1

Again, you are in the minority that STILL doesn't understand the show. Honestly, I feel like people don't take the time to understand it, which is your option. Just don't put it down because you don't take the time. I take the time to understand Blue Devils shows, even if I don't enjoy them. If you love the activity so much as you claim, then why not take that time? As I've said, follow the Stagecoach. You'll find the story. If you don't, then you just don't care enough to catch it.

I have taken the time. Watched them live every chance I had, and watched them via the Internet after that. I watch and look to understand ALL the shows.

The Stagecoach component is, at best, a bit component to the story. They chose to not make it a moment that tells the story.

Hyperbole. Everything I've read from you tonight is hyperbole.

There is a three way race for 1st. The corps ARE being judged by the sheets! If BD wins, they'll deserve it.

Same with Bluecoats, or Crown.

It is "arrogant" to say that "BD, if judged by the sheets, should win next week. ... Any other winner will be awarded according to emotions"

That's what I believe the other poster mean by "arrogance".

Having to come up with a reason for BD not winning (POSSIBLY) by stating that others will win by emotion is a simple defense mechanism.

Feel free to be that way, but it sounds like bull #### to me. :augen51:

You are feel free to feel that way, as well.

"Hyperbole" is your term to claim. So is ########.

Have you written a show? Have you judged one? Have you done any design whatsoever?

If not, you,still have a right to your opinion. That is cool.

That, however, does not make it right.

I have taken the time. Watched them live every chance I had, and watched them via the Internet after that. I watch and look to understand ALL the shows.

The Stagecoach component is, at best, a bit component to the story. They chose to not make it a moment that tells the story.

Oh my word, I give up.

Goodnight DCP. It's been crazy tonight!

• Like 2

You are feel free to feel that way, as well.

"Hyperbole" is your term to claim. So is ########.

Have you written a show? Have you judged one? Have you done any design whatsoever?

If not, you,still have a right to your opinion. That is cool.

That, however, does not make it right.

As your opinion does not make you right.

...and yes, I have done design and followed the activity for a very long time.

Have fun!

• Like 1

Same here. I'm in the minority that actually loved Blue Devils show last year. One of only a hand full of times I actually liked their show. Just because I didn't like them though, doesn't mean they didn't deserve the win.

I often like, and always respect, the Blue Devils' shows, going back to the first time I heard them (1989 Semifinals on CD and 1993 live in Mentor, OH). In a few recent years, especially 2010, 2012, and 2013, I felt they were abandoning the audience, though.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 4

I thought Bloo was a little off for the first two minutes or so tonight (not quite a tear, but not super tight either), and felt a few things could yet be cleaned.

Their ending seen live is a delight; the audience roared with appreciation. As they also did at the blind flag toss over the stage left ramps two minutes before that.

In their encore, I noticed a few nice details that had not been clear in their field performance, and hope they work to bring those out more.

• Like 1

One last thought: I've mentioned a couple times that my seat was pretty far from the action: on the right 3-yard line, to be specific (yes 3, not 30), but it was near the top, so I had a decent view if not the best sound. After the first half of the show, I wondered if I had wasted my money, but then Cadets, SCV, Crown, and Bloo performed with such musical clarity (as did Bloo in their encore) that it was clearly worthwhile to be there.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Section 4 row FF seat 17...vintage teal SCV horn shirt

Hah. I sat 2 rows directly behind you. I remember seeing your shirt.

I was there with dad, 12yo niece who is experienced live drum corps for the first time, and 13yo nephew who went with dad and I last year to semi finals. He wanted to go again this year but that kinda surprised me, wasn't sure he enjoyed it much last time.

Anyway, long lines were the story of the day. To park, to get into the stadium, bathrooms, concession stands, to even get up into the stands, as I was up on Section 4 HH on the 40yd line. I went down to the concession booths at halftime, and ended up waiting so long, I missed The Cadets. Not a biggie, I've seen them on the podcast. Not a huge fan of them this year. But from the bottom of the stairs, I could see and hear some things that I missed on the podcast. French Horns were great. The guy statue on the right side of the field looked neat. Wish he would have gotten into his role more, and I didn't understand what exactly what he was doing, and how that even fit into the show. It's a bit unambiguous as a whole, but they sounded solid. They are making this show stretch as far as they can, and it looks like it's starting to work. Without gimmicks. That's a good sign, for them, but the staff needs to take a long hard look and the direction they've gone in the past 2 years and perhaps find some idea that will really put it all together and come out with a killer show next season. They are due. Problem is that the top 6 is more competitive than ever. Still, they are The Cadets and have a large handful of championships to their name. Don't count them out, ever.

First thing I noticed about The Cavaliers in person (I've seen them a few times on podcast) is the amount of thunderous goo. Really, turn that bass down. My butt was literally vibrating from the use of electronics and the intensity of it.

Seeing the Cavs up close, you lose a lot of the upper perspective and start noticed individual marchers. They have some real tough, intense moments in their drill, and they do still have ways to go in the visual department. Clean those feet. Clean those boxes. They are moving fast but seem to need some advanced marching exercises. They just weren't so graceful and you could hear it in the brass. It's not bad, but it is one of those things that keep a corps out of the upper tier. It's a great show! They are really starting to get that brass line going - much better than last season. It is quite a jump both musically and visually. Highest scoring 6th place corps??

Blue Knights - where do I begin? Still a lovely show - it's just that there is a LOT to take in, even more watching in person than on TV. They were everywhere. Filling up the field. I felt that there was just too much going on. A bit unfocused. It's like they want to beat around the bush in the way they tell their story, instead of going out and just saying it. I feel it could be a little more aggressive in places, a few more nice impact sets, like someone a few pages back mentioned, better guard integration, and FEET! Their brass is really starting to come into their own. Very challenging brass book, not an upper tier, but it's a nice leap in that direction. The end of the show lacked a bit. It was ethereal, abstract, beautiful, very nice setting. They really set the mood. I feel they could have done more with their props. They just didn't tell much of a story. This is what I think is holding them back. Lead the judge in a certain direction with your program. Instead, they are keeping them going around in circles. Story lacks direction. Staff needs to think about how to focus in and show us what you're saying. What's the message? Can't wait for next season. Blue Stars have a solid show with a little bit more direction, more aggression, Would not be surprised if Blue Stars beat them on Saturday, but then again, this is a corps coming into its own and has a bit more maturity than La Crosse at the moment. A 7th place finish here would really keep this corps relevant, with a small window to the top. 8th place and they probably need to take a look in the mirror. Pun not intended. Good luck!

Phantom Regiment well as you know, did a standstill. I think I like their program better without the drill. It still fell a little flat. Nice sound, but show did not mean anything. Hardly any message to speak of, rather generic. Same as last year. What happened, Phantom? You had a good thing going with Juliet, then Turandot, things have started to grow stale, it's high time you mix it up a bit and take a risk.

Madison Scouts - bleh. They started to count to 40, and I start thinking "Lizzie Borden took an axe..." I just did not get this show at all. No emotion to speak of, it just seemed rather a bad setting for telling us this particular story. I felt a dark theme should have a dark show. But they had a dark theme with a bright, jazzy show. I don't feel it worked well. The drill seemed to be in a more aggressive direction than years past. They just aren't marching it all that well, and this is why they are 11th. Brass is all right, hanging in there. Still solid finalist. Staff should think about perhaps keeping this line of show archetypes, keep it bright and traditional, but take a risk and put on a show for us. Give us some drama for once. The drama in this show is almost nothing. Give us something to follow!

I mentioned The Cadets already above.

Santa Clara Vanguard - I know they went on after Crown, but here goes.

Show is bright and cheerful. Refreshing. Simple yet elegant. Music was beautiful. Brass was legit. Guard could have done more to make themselves shown. Live, I could see the guard in all their different costumes. Butterfly things were cool. They changed to be more like the season. You could really notice that the show moved from one season to another. The corps was great, one of my favorites of the season, very good show for them - more clear and concise than last year, cleaner, filled up the space well. excellent drill, and rather clean. Superior execution is what let The Cadets jump them today. Cadets brass is just better than SCV's, and that's the bottom line.

Carolina Crown - Seeing this show live was a LOT better than seeing it on Podcast. I could see what was going on. The stagecoach moved with no purpose until I saw it live. Now, the show just seems a bit more integrated. It's no wonder they've been in the top 3 all season, and making a move on 1st. What a brass line!!! Best of the night, hands down. The sound really filled the stadium well. Visual execution was great, percussion is a small step above last season. Guard was a little lacking. Story telling was sufficient, marching was clean. They are strong in all sections. GE is holding them back. Not telling their story to full effect. Need some more drama in there. Their drill was a little compact, they pretty much used the front half of the field almost exclusively. I think this is what is holding them back - Visual GE is a notch down, but I bet Music GE is keeping them afloat. They may be winning Music GE and brass. Could they do it???? I don't think they will, but it is another great show to put on their belt. Let's see something more traditional next year, go back to cream colors, let's see what a vintage Crown can do.

Bloo - everyone loved them. Brass was a notch below Cadets and Crown, but above SCV and the rest. They are telling us their message sufficiently, but the problem is that it's a one dimensional show. In concept. Visually, they have added another dimension, with the half pipes. It's pretty cool, but I'm really not all that impressed. It does add demand, I can see that, but not really sure what to think. Maybe it's one of those shows where you don't have to think at all. Those shows don't usually win, but the GE judges seem to be throwing babies. They are probably winning Visual GE by .3 over Crown. Music GE is probably .2 below Crown. Brass they are behind. Percussion, well I have a feeling the judges are stiffing them this year on percussion, but still likely ahead of Crown. Guard seemed more integrated. Probably beating Crown in this as well.

This is going to be quite a weekend. Any of these top 3 corps can win. Blue Devils weren't there tonight, but where do they fit now that Crown is close than ever to Bloo?

40% chance says Blue Devs take it, 35% Bluecoats, 25% Crown.

• Like 4