Madison Scouts 2017

9 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

What a question.  Do you have a gripe with me that I'm unaware of?  

Not that I'm aware of.

So that is a yes?  A fan of all??

Edited by Cop

Just now, Cop said:

Not that I'm aware of?

Cop,

Terri is a fan of all corps, and nice, yet funny poster.

She's good people.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Ive done both and can say what you do in an indoor show can push the envelope so much more than DCI.  The reason DCI is copying WGI is because in 25 years the percussion activity has pushed the envelope every year to get to where it is.  I started in 2010 and from 2010 to 2011 the marching and playing turned into marching, body, and playing and so on. This is a high school group and the design was something judges couldnt really score because theyve never witnessed it.  WGI world class sheets define World Class as pushing the envelope and doing new things.  Realistically DCI has been kind of in the same design for the last 10 years.

And to think: they aren't even the top drumline in their SCHOOL DISTRICT! 

• Like 2

Just now, jjeffeory said:

Cop,

Terri is a fan of all corps, and nice, yet funny poster.

She's good people.

nuff said.

Just now, Cop said:

Not that I'm aware of?

Considering that Cadets aren't even at Michigan City or the Lisle show I'm attending the next week, I'd say I'm a fan of all.  

This is really kind of funny because my son aged out of the Scouts.  

I'll make sure to stay away from this thread. 

1 hour ago, BigBadMadMan said:

This is what I was talking about when I was referencing a lack of creativity in DCI anymore. I know I'm a "dinosaur" (41), but I can't believe so many people are willing to swallow the line and go along with this morphing of DCI into WGI. That's pretty much all we're seeing now; recycled BOA or WGI shows. The mindset of both of those organizations have infected DCI (mostly due to the incestuous nature of all 3 organizations). It's basically taking a WGI-styled show and throwing it on a football field instead of inside an auditorium. There's very little left to distinguish the different activities, not to mention the fact that DCI is no longer the innovator and driving force (by and large) of the marching arts, and has taken a backseat to both BOA and WGI.

This is what many were afraid of when we started changing the rules. Any-key instruments...then amplification...then electronics...now costumes, etc. Won't be any time before you can no longer recognize a difference between DCI and BOA. Before anyone scoffs, we're practically there already. The only difference at this point is the lack of wood winds. DCI is now a homogenized product.

I'm just surprised that everyone is cool with it.

***that's not to take anything away from what BOA and WGI do. I've seen a lot of awesome shows from both and appreciate those activities for what they are. I'd just prefer we stop blurring the lines between them and DCI.

Genuine question here: 

How does it make logical sense to you that DCI would be a more creative and less homogenous activity if we TOOK AWAY the freedom of options (electronics, amplification, props, costumes, etc)? I'm having a hard time following that logic. 

I look back at shows from the 80s and 90s and then shows of today and I see much more variety now than before. 

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Genuine question here: 

How does it make logical sense to you that DCI would be a more creative and less homogenous activity if we TOOK AWAY the freedom of options (electronics, amplification, props, costumes, etc)? I'm having a hard time following that logic. 

I look back at shows from the 80s and 90s and then shows of today and I see much more variety now than before. 

Is it creative to move the lines? Or is TRUE creativity being able to do something different or unexpected while operating within the boundaries of the rules? Changing the rules to fit what you want to do isn't creative. For reference, in the Scouts '97 Pirates show, they were able to create the sounds of wind and the creaking of the ship without the use of synthesizers and samples. That is being creative. Are shows more entertaining now? Perhaps. More creative? Not necessarily.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Genuine question here: 

This is an old topic, but my opinion of it was that it is more CREATIVE to be working within the current rules of the time ( brass and acoustic percussion) than it is to take the easier route of just adding more ingredients ( instruments) to the pot that end up turning it into a much different activity that already existed in the fall.

Props have been around forever, they're just now required to get that Box 5 score, which is why everyone is using them.  Same with the rest.

Used to be if you wanted to make a train sound, you'd play around with some acoustic percussion instruments until you found something that matched and approximated the sound you wanted ( creative). Now you just download a train patch ( not creative).

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, BigBadMadMan said:

Is it creative to move the lines? Or is TRUE creativity being able to do something different or unexpected while operating within the boundaries of the rules? Changing the rules to fit what you want to do isn't creative. For reference, in the Scouts '97 Pirates show, they were able to create the sounds of wind and the creaking of the ship without the use of synthesizers and samples. That is being creative. Are shows more entertaining now? Perhaps. More creative? Not necessarily.

12 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

This is an old topic, but my opinion of it was that it is more CREATIVE to be working within the current rules of the time ( brass and acoustic percussion) than it is to take the easier route of just adding more ingredients ( instruments) to the pot that end up turning it into a much different activity that already existed in the fall.

Props have been around forever, they're just now required to get that Box 5 score, which is why everyone is using them.  Same with the rest.

Used to be if you wanted to make a train sound, you'd play around with some acoustic percussion instruments until you found something that matched and approximated the sound you wanted ( creative). Now you just download a train patch ( not creative).

Very insightful, thanks!