Staff merri-go-round

I believe, and I think many of us believe that whatever the final makeup of the design team is, it is in Cadets' best interest if George stays out of the design process.

Yes, but thats the rub... will he ?

• Like 1

Yes, but thats the rub... will he ?

That is the $64,000 question. He says he had learned from this last season. I have my fingers crossed that this is the lesson he has learned.

• Like 2

I would love to see Gaines back but I don't think he would be a good fit down in Allentown, also wonder how many rewrties he would be used to doing with all the dramatic changes that Cadets go through each season. I couldn;t see him working well with GH. Just my opinion.

What or who generates the necessary dramatic changes/rewrites. Don't you need rewrites because of design misses either by overwriting/designing or things aren't working for whatever reason (a miss) or judges and audience don't get it (a miss)? Rewrites are somewhat controllable or should be if the design is better at the start. Or am I totally off base?

Any Cadets match of staff... any combo... now will probably work better for Cadets than the 2015, 2016 Cadets staffs. Clearly, everybody has not been on the same page under GH the last couple of years at the Cadets.

Eh. I don't think they are necessarily a great match stylistically. Has zero to do with Hopkins.

What or who generates the necessary dramatic changes/rewrites. Don't you need rewrites because of design misses either by overwriting/designing or things aren't working for whatever reason (a miss) or judges and audience don't get it (a miss)? Rewrites are somewhat controllable or should be if the design is better at the start. Or am I totally off base?

I could be wrong but it does seem like Cadets have major rewrites every year from start to finish..either to much music that needs to be edited down. Or just major design flaws that need major rewrites...either way it puts a ton of burden on the visual to have to rewrite major sections of the show. So instead of enhancing the show its major changes.

• Like 2

Well the bottom line is this: if George retains total control over Cadets, regardless of his personality or approach, you have to be able to accept the way he does things if you choose to work there. Same is true anywhere you work, but it is especially true in creatively driven organizations. Entrepreneurial personalities are common at the head of creatively driven organizations, and they usually require and use veto power often.

Having worked for and with those sorts of organizations my entire career, I can tell you that at some point there is a divide between the leader and the most experienced creatives. All want control, and not all will get it. People tend to survive together if the organization remains stable and successful, but not when things are failing.

Whether people left because of George, or George pushed them out, ultimately doesn't matter. Gotta get on his ship or get off.

That's exactly how I see him. But MAN, his ship just lost 2 senior officers. That stings. I'm not sure, but was Bruno even there this summer?

Eh, no not totally off base. The process of the design is designers choice I would think. Not everyone wants it "right" right away. You want to start at a step 1 (of the timeline process) with step 20 (of the timeline process) in mind but not totally figured out yet. There is a natural progression to the design process and edits/changes are a part of that. They have to keep the show engaging over a 3 month span. Now the difficult part is finding the sweet spot. You don't want to lose momentum and peak early with getting it right right away but you don't want to do too many edits either. That'll make it look like the designer is unsure of the show concept–too lost from the original base idea.

It's a lovely artistic but difficult dance that the designer does with the process.

With the design team at Cavies now clicking, it certainly doesn't make any sense in the immediate future. Would you agree with that? In which case Crown would be a wonderful home for him. (When did I first say that? Oh -- like right after he stepped away!)

Nope! Love his writing. He does incredible work for Aimachi too. Gaines does incredible work wherever he goes...

Honestly, Gaines and Klesch designing TOGETHER? OMG. That would be an incredible combo!

Nope! Love his writing. He does incredible work for Aimachi too. Gaines does incredible work wherever he goes...

Honestly, Gaines and Klesch designing TOGETHER? OMG. That would be an incredible combo!

I can't even imagine it. As great as the Gaines-era guards were (all hail Bruno and team) they didn't even NEED to be great because they were always in the perfect location to create maximum effect. It was like hey show up with a flag and people would cheer (or just shake their heads because it was just the machine cranking out more effect). I'll stop now -- but i could go on for pages.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2