Staff merri-go-round

What about his brother?

Looking at his comments, I think its Cadets. Great pickup!

If any truth to this about the Rosemount, Mn band director, remember Ben, like Matt, already has been on Cadets' staff (circa 1999,) has privately tutored some Cadets' musicians while he was at Wayzata, and is a USBands judge with a bio already on YEA website. We'll wait until Friday to hear if at all.

Edited by xandandl

If any truth to this about the Rosemount, Mn band director, remember Ben already has been on Cadets' staff (circa 1999,) has privately tutored some Cadets' musicians while he was at Wayzata, and is a USBands judge with a bio already on YEA website. We'll wait until Friday to hear if at all.

He would be great as brass caption head at Cadets. Probably wouldn't mind a vehicle to head up and build his own dynasty. Crownbrass is amazing but most of the accolades go to Matt, not Ben.
  • Like 1

Guarding, I know Guard is your forte. Not that it's confirmed but your thoughts on Sal Salas? I know he was great with Madison BITD but it's a different animal now... ??

Well, AS Blue stated below he was with Glassmen, more of an organizer and also true its where some of the staff now at Cadets were. In addition he was with them at some winter programs, Some successful, some not as much. All I will say DON"T let Sale pick any costuming...lol I can't say he doesn't know his stuff and maybe will control the reigns needed imo. I wonder the dynamics between him and Hop and staff other than the ones who gave him a job during the winters. SAl does follow the $$$$$ and I'm not saying it's a bad thing.and like most things some will say he will be a God send and others might say OH BOY or elaborate . He spent more than once at Madison , not just staff but director not to many years back, all with mixed reviews BUT hey many could say the same when you have been around for decades. Sal is the usual sit back and conduct type, at least lately, low keyed, passive with a silent mean streak aggressiveness ..lol..Again not saying it's bad, especially if it works.lol . He had some great programs BITD and does keep himself connected, like the queen Mum...lol Personally I think these icons do have a lot to contribute mainly because they come from a day when they had to do it all mostly themselves and have a very good trained eye AND deserve the respect. Whether it is at this point a formula for a top guard which Cadets do need is another story but I feel aside from SAl the rest of the combo has yet IMO showed either with Cadets or other programs that it's what Cadets need. Time will certainly tell. Always want Cadets to have the best, deserve the best and want to see them set new standards not just for the activity but for themselves.

A side note: Only because you mentioned Guard we my thing..lol Sure Guard is my thing, has been for decades BUT started as a horn for many years which has helped over the years musically with the visual thing. at least I was told that...lol

Edited by GUARDLING

Well, AS Blue stated below he was with Glassmen, more of an organizer and also true its where some of the staff now at Cadets were. In addition he was with them at some winter programs, Some successful, some not as much. All I will say DON"T let Sale pick any costuming...lol I can't say he doesn't know his stuff and maybe will control the reigns needed imo. I wonder the dynamics between him and Hop and staff other than the ones who gave him a job during the winters. SAl does follow the $$$$$ and I'm not saying it's a bad thing.and like most things some will say he will be a God send and others might say OH BOY or elaborate . He spent more than once at Madison , not just staff but director not to many years back, all with mixed reviews BUT hey many could say the same when you have been around for decades. Sal is the usual sit back and conduct type, at least lately, low keyed, passive with a silent mean streak aggressiveness ..lol..Again not saying it's bad, especially if it works.lol . He had some great programs BITD and does keep himself connected, like the queen Mum...lol Personally I think these icons do have a lot to contribute mainly because they come from a day when they had to do it all mostly themselves and have a very good trained eye AND deserve the respect. Whether it is at this point a formula for a top guard which Cadets do need is another story but I feel aside from SAl the rest of the combo has yet IMO showed either with Cadets or other programs that it's what Cadets need. Time will certainly tell. Always want Cadets to have the best, deserve the best and want to see them set new standards not just for the activity but for themselves.

A side note: Only because you mentioned Guard we my thing..lol Sure Guard is my thing, has been for decades BUT started as a horn for many years which has helped over the years musically with the visual thing. at least I was told that...lol[/quote

Thanks! I know he has been around forever and Madison had a great guard in the early 80s when I marched drumcorps but so much has changed.

A side note: Only because you mentioned Guard we my thing..lol Sure Guard is my thing, has been for decades BUT started as a horn for many years which has helped over the years musically with the visual thing. at least I was told that...lol[/quote

Thanks! I know he has been around forever and Madison had a great guard in the early 80s when I marched drumcorps but so much has changed.

Anytime Tob

Feel free to PM me if you like.

A side note: Only because you mentioned Guard we my thing..lol Sure Guard is my thing, has been for decades BUT started as a horn for many years which has helped over the years musically with the visual thing. at least I was told that...lol

HI G are you 2+2=4

Sal Salas has been in many rodeos over the years... and worn many different cowboy hats ( played different roles ). He's a mixed bag. He has been quite successful.. & other times... not so much. ( but who hasn't been when you've been around a long time ). Do I think Sal Salas can add stability to an unstable Guard situation at Cadets. Its got a decent shot... but with GH pulling the strings still, who really knows. Do I think Salas is the long term plan for Guard at Cadets ?... oh heavens no. He's come in to help put his finger in the dike to stop the waters flow. He can do that as a stop gap measure for the Cadets, imo... and given where the Cadets are at right now in their struggles at Guard, Salas is not such a bad hire then, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Any idea what Sal's role at SCV was? I mean, I know his title was "artistic director," but what did he do?

I mentioned in another thread that the extent to which I noticed SCV's guard in 2016 was almost nil. The contrast from SCV guard to Crown guard was night and day. Perhaps they achieved.

Take a longer view. The most stable are Cadets & BD. BD is in the top tier then The rest aren't close. Crown has "imported" everyone. if that changes going forward that would be GREAT. But 2016 backwards that's simply not the case.

Bluecoats music captions are incredibly stable. Brass and Percussion design and leadership has been a long-haul deal. If they are in a second tier, then they are by themselves in that tier. Visual is getting there, and has had some home-grown folks staying along the way. Guard being the only caption with little-to-no homegrown talent and certainly the newest in the mix.