Staff merri-go-round

I was going to bring this up. Were they disgruntled with Cadets at the time?

Also Jay Bocook left for the 02 and 03 seasons, though I think he did so for personal reasons.

Note that Cadets were without Sacktig, Bocook, and Cipriani for the 02 (and maybe 03?) season, and they seemed to do just fine. Of course, they were in a better situation in 01 than now...

That was also back when it was pretty much Cadets, BD, and Cavies vying for a title.

The fight for the top has become a bit more congested recently.

On a non-Cadets note...any thoughts on whether PR is gonna make changes? I'm nothing but a spectator since the late 90's, but I am a Regiment alum and would love to see them in the hunt once again. The game has changed so much, and I wonder if they're just choosing to stay in the past.

Not a dig, just observations.

I would like PR's music to emote more feeling. Does not mean that they don't need to evolve, but they typically have had some great music to listen to in off season.

• Like 1

In your opinion, are things really that bad, and do you see the rumors coming to fruition?

All of us, whether me, GH, you, or Dan A. are but a breath and a heart beat away from all of this..

In my perspective, perhaps yours, a good CEO of a corps organization would always have at the ready a dream team list of who would we ask to fill the void if so and so got sick or died.

When Jim Ott died mid-tour, this reality became more than fiction for Spirit and others..

Cadets have already experienced Gino and Sacktig leaving once to teach the Magic of Orlando before returning 2 years later..

Who would you propose for Cadets if Gino and his brother-in-law Colin were going elsewhere? Both became Dads as well this past year.

Interesting coincidence I may have posted earlier this Spring when CWP cancelled its future:

Greg Lagola was nominated for Cadets' HoF and then left for Bluecoats; Jeff Sacktig was named to Cadets' HoF last season and then took a sabbatical for family reasons.

Colin McNutt was nominated and named to Cadets HoF this Spring.....

In your opinion, are things really that bad, and do you see the rumors coming to fruition?

Where there is smoke there is fire, but sometimes what we take as smoke is just fog.

Yes, changes are happening, probably not enough.

• Like 1

Wow this thread is discouraging. This is my first DCP post but I feel it necessary to post.

Background/knowledge: My kid was a rookie at cadets this year. That same kid didn't want to come home this year because they loved their experience with the cadets this summer.

That same kid had marched other corps at which they had worse experiences.

That same kid never thought they would be a cadet but now knows they don't want to go anywhere else.

As a parent I also volunteered and toured over 20+ days doing various things for the corps. Also have volunteered at 2 other corps where I had children March. I saw and experienced many things with this corps and others.

Note, there are positives and negatives with all the corps. But also note cadets may seem more expensive but there are no hidden costs. It covers everything. Other corps get you by tacking on other fees.

In any event, I have much respect for the cadet organization, including but not limited to the staff (including hop), the administrative staff and especially the members.

This summer was not easy by all means for any of them but hey if things were easy it wouldn't be the same experience now would it? Nor would our kids learn to overcome the challenges presented.

Did they want to place higher, of course they did. Does that mean they failed? HELL NO. There were many good shows this year.

Does it mean the staff sucked or needs replaced? HELL NO.

Lastly, about the guard. Kristy is tough but the work these kids were doing appeared to be more complex and difficult than those guards who scored higher. What makes no sense to me is how when the show did finally stabilize that the achievement scores for the guard went down.

It also makes no sense to me how the corps final score went down at finals when it was clearly the best run they had of the season.

I watched top corps have collisions/falls/many drops in finals but their scores all went up.

The judging system makes no sense to me but I know how the experience was.

In summary, I don't know anything about changes to the staff or organization and clearly the judging system confused the hell out of me but I do know that no matter what happens there were many who actually did have a good experience and it's sad that most people only focus on the negative. This activity is clearly about perception and there are clearly politics involved but it seems to me that even if hop and team did exactly as everyone wished it wouldn't be good enough. They were doomed by many posts on dcp from the get go. I often wander how the negative affected their summer.

I can only hope that many of these rumors are squashed and things get more positive so that we can move on and prepare for a fabulous 2017.

• Like 4

Wow this thread is discouraging. This is my first DCP post but I feel it necessary to post.

Background/knowledge: My kid was a rookie at cadets this year. That same kid didn't want to come home this year because they loved their experience with the cadets this summer.

That same kid had marched other corps at which they had worse experiences.

That same kid never thought they would be a cadet but now knows they don't want to go anywhere else.

As a parent I also volunteered and toured over 20+ days doing various things for the corps. Also have volunteered at 2 other corps where I had children March. I saw and experienced many things with this corps and others.

Note, there are positives and negatives with all the corps. But also note cadets may seem more expensive but there are no hidden costs. It covers everything. Other corps get you by tacking on other fees.

In any event, I have much respect for the cadet organization, including but not limited to the staff (including hop), the administrative staff and especially the members.

This summer was not easy by all means for any of them but hey if things were easy it wouldn't be the same experience now would it? Nor would our kids learn to overcome the challenges presented.

Did they want to place higher, of course they did. Does that mean they failed? HELL NO. There were many good shows this year.

Does it mean the staff sucked or needs replaced? HELL NO.

Lastly, about the guard. Kristy is tough but the work these kids were doing appeared to be more complex and difficult than those guards who scored higher. What makes no sense to me is how when the show did finally stabilize that the achievement scores for the guard went down.

It also makes no sense to me how the corps final score went down at finals when it was clearly the best run they had of the season.

I watched top corps have collisions/falls/many drops in finals but their scores all went up.

The judging system makes no sense to me but I know how the experience was.

In summary, I don't know anything about changes to the staff or organization and clearly the judging system confused the hell out of me but I do know that no matter what happens there were many who actually did have a good experience and it's sad that most people only focus on the negative. This activity is clearly about perception and there are clearly politics involved but it seems to me that even if hop and team did exactly as everyone wished it wouldn't be good enough. They were doomed by many posts on dcp from the get go. I often wander how the negative affected their summer.

I can only hope that many of these rumors are squashed and things get more positive so that we can move on and prepare for a fabulous 2017.

Thank you for the time you spend as parent and volunteer.

You touch many lives, sometimes in ways not seen or even to be known until years later. Just the weather situations this season made it more difficult than some others. Glad your folk enjoyed becoming part of the legacy.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

Wait, Sacktig didn't write for Cadets in 03? Who did?

I would like PR's music to emote more feeling. Does not mean that they don't need to evolve, but they typically have had some great music to listen to in off season.

I thought PR's show this year was quite emotional. I loved the music, especially live.

• Like 1

So, I'm not sure if this should be in this thread, but I just happened to come across the glassdoor page for Youth Education in the Arts. Holy crap. All of the reviews are pretty rough and are all from 2016. Link for the lazy.

I'm guessing this is from support staff, not design staff, right? Is this new or is this how it's always been?