Cadets 2017

3 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

YEA may charitably be referred to as a tough place to work.

No question that $200 plus benefits is reasonable for a non-profit executive. I think the issue comes from the fact that everyone else makes peanuts. Turnover is unbelievable in that office because he expects the same level of buy-in from everyone who works there, and for what he pays, no mid-career finance or development professional wants to needlessly work 20 hour days like he does or sell candy at band shows on their "day off," etc.

It may be a temporary valley, but at this point it's a six year temporary valley.

I get it. I have to apologize. As a NE Patriots fan, I get nuts whenever the team doesn't make it or win a Super Bowl. Invariably, the sports radio shows are ablaze with "Brady's done," "Belechick should be fired," etc. And they had a 10 year period with without a ring. It's the nature of competition at the highest levels. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, whitedawn said:

Are you an SI? I have a client that sells its cloud services to SIs and those guys mark us up in a big way and their sales guys must make a ton of cash.

He might be the IT firm that links all those Los Pollos Hermanos location together. I heard through the vine that there is big money in that pollo racket. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, E3D said:

He might be the IT firm that links all those Los Pollos Hermanos location together. I heard through the vine that there is big money in that pollo racket. 

This is WAY off topic. But IT staffing is what I do. The workers make between $30/hr. for a help desk temp to $250/hr for a high end cybersecurity analyst/architect. We work on about 40% markup. But enough of this!

I'm about to put Nitroglycerin on this fire that got gas put on it last night.  The heat I'm about to receive will be severe.  However, I want you to look at the statement as a whole before you go off.  While I know the performance level isn't even close, this is something to consider.

Here we go!

Are Cadets/Hop becoming the Pioneer/Roman of the Top Tier Corps?

Comparisons:

PIONEER

CADETS

Staffing Tenure/Issues (Historical)

Staffing Tenure/Issues (Recent)

Student Talent Departures (Historical)

Student Talent Departures (Recent)

Getting Better Every Day

Trust The Process

Please understand, I love the Cadets and will continue to support them and YEA as a whole.  The show this year is great and I love what Bobby has done with this concept.

Let the hate begin.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I'm about to put Nitroglycerin on this fire that got gas put on it last night.  The heat I'm about to receive will be severe.  However, I want you to look at the statement as a whole before you go off.  While I know the performance level isn't even close, this is something to consider.

Here we go!

Is Hop/Cadets becoming the Pioneer/Roman of the Top Tier Corps?

Comparisons:

PIONEER

CADETS

Getting Better Every Day

Trust The Process

Please understand, I love the Cadets and will continue to support them and YEA as a whole.  The show this year is great and I love what Bobby has done with this concept.

Let the hate begin.

Just don't put any quotes in here from glassdoor. :notme::whistle:

That is a comparison I had not thought about. 

No hate from me. I'm on poweraid now not hater aid. 

16 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Here we go!

Is Hop/Cadets becoming the Pioneer/Roman of the Top Tier Corps?

Comparisons:

PIONEER

CADETS

Getting Better Every Day

Trust The Process

Let the hate begin.

When you put it like that, why even bother answering...

20 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Is Cadets/Hop becoming the Pioneer/Roman of the Top Tier Corps?

No, and particularly an inapposite comparison in a year when Cadets are aggressively trying to evolve to a more modern show.

I think it's completely accurate to say that Cadets are going through a rough patch, like other historically top placing groups such as Cavaliers, Phantom and Vanguard have gone through. DCI is more competitive today than it has been since the late 80s/early 90s so any stumble means a fall in placement, followed by some time to rebuild. 

I'd say Cadets are in year 2 of the reboot - and managed to field an interesting, musical, modern show. Their next challenge is to finish the year strong rather than falling apart or piling on the cheese. I think a 6th place finish, maybe winning a close race with Boston, with a strong audience response is a great outcome for them this year. They probably have some more rebuilding years ahead.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

No, and particularly an inapposite comparison in a year when Cadets are aggressively trying to evolve to a more modern show.

I think it's completely accurate to say that Cadets are going through a rough patch, like other historically top placing groups such as Cavaliers, Phantom and Vanguard have gone through. DCI is more competitive today than it has been since the late 80s/early 90s so any stumble means a fall in placement, followed by some time to rebuild. 

I'd say Cadets are in year 2 of the reboot - and managed to field an interesting, musical, modern show. Their next challenge is to finish the year strong rather than falling apart or piling on the cheese. I think a 6th place finish, maybe winning a close race with Boston, with a strong audience response is a great outcome for them this year. They probably have some more rebuilding years ahead.

The problem is that if you finish in the 7-9 range, you perform earlier the next year. This means that you have less rehearsal time. This means that you may have fewer auditionees. This means that you make less money per show. For a corps like ours, which (1) thrives on rehearsing as much as possible, and (2) relies heavily on appearance fees, this is a BFD.

We simply do not have the economic resources to weather this like Vanguard and Cavaliers did or do. 

Taking multiple years to "rebuild" is not an option. Ask Madison.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, exitmusic said:

The problem is that if you finish in the 7-9 range, you perform earlier the next year. This means that you have less rehearsal time. This means that you may have fewer auditionees. This means that you make less money per show. For a corps like ours, which (1) thrives on rehearsing as much as possible, and (2) relies heavily on appearance fees, this is a BFD.

We simply do not have the economic resources to weather this like Vanguard and Cavaliers did or do. 

The buzz factor is hugely important now. You have a lot more elite corps with very specific reputations that are able to recruit elite, experienced marchers. When you are not getting kids that are landing at Bluecoats, Boston and Crown -- three programs you will be traveling with for much of the season due to proximity -- it's pretty darned hard to keep the lines rolling at the merch tables. To say nothing of the morale among staffers.

Cadets need stability. They need sustained staff longevity who exude fun and excitement. And kids need to leave tour having had the time of their lives.

From what I have heard, the atmosphere at BAC right now is infectious. Everyone, including volunteers, are having the summer of their lives. They can feel it, taste it. They know they are destined for bigger stages. Every corps needs this to thrive because of the reality of fund raising and auditions.

Its just a different time in this activity now. Bluecoats have really shifted everything, and Boston appears to be riding the wave.

1 minute ago, exitmusic said:

Well, I guess they'll just have to fold then. 

Or, you know, they could make a multi-year plan to secure the finances they need, so they can recruit/retain the right staff, so they have shows that kids want to march, so they attract better performers, so they place higher over time. Just like Bloo and Crown executed successfully to climb the ranks. Just like organizations like Boston and Blue Knights are trying to accomplish today.

• Like 1