Cadets 2017

DCP is a huge, very active collection of people from all over the world, with all sorts of variant connections to DCI. Some people are unfair to Blue Devils, some are unfair to Crown, some are unfair to George Hopkins. Most (and I would argue 98% of us) simply enjoy the activity, and therefore enjoy talking about it.

If George doesn't want to get talked about, he should simply stop putting himself out there as a target. I'm not being hyperbolic, it is just plainly common sense.

A difference is being unfair to BD or Crown is not making personal attacks on an individual. Being unfair to Hoppy may be be, depending on what was said of course.

Hoppy making statements on Facebook does not give anyone the right to make PERSONAL commentary about the man here in DCP, where there are guidelines to be observed.

• Like 1

A difference is being unfair to BD or Crown is not making personal attacks on an individual. Being unfair to Hoppy may be be, depending on what was said of course.

Hoppy making statements on Facebook does not give anyone the right to make PERSONAL commentary about the man here in DCP, where there are guidelines to be observed.

What do the guidelines say about calling another poster moronic and calling his post trash?

The rest I will leave for Garfield...

:-)

I chose my screen name back when they were the Garfield Cadets, and I intentionally chose the small 'g' to not claim the name from them.

So I'm not sure if you're referring to me or the corps.

You're generally in very good company if you didn't make the distinction.

• Like 1

What do the guidelines say about calling another poster moronic and calling his post trash?

So I'm the bad guy now? What's next? Somebody (you know who you are) going to call me a fanboy? A borg?

Quoting myself for the record:

This post (and those tagging on) is the peak of pique. In its complete disregard for the qualifier, it qualifies for moronic.

Didn't call anybody a moron. Didn't call anybody trash. But also for the record, let's all agree the truth is a cheap commodity around here.

HH

• Like 1

No collusion or conspiracy. Doesn't have to be. Yet the cadence is clear. The snarky snareline beats it out regularly with X at the center. And it goes mostly unchallenged because people like me don't come here much anymore.

I used to average a post a day here. Now I bet I haven't made a dozen posts in the past couple of years. And it's because of trash like this. And you said it. You treat Hopkins like he's running for president, which he isn't. He's isn't asking to lead you. He's only asking to lead kids in two corps to a great summer and a great life beyond,

Yet you give it to him everyday. Yes Garfield, it's all scrutinized as if it makes a difference to us. He (Hopkins) isn't making treaties with a foreign power. Yes Garfield, he's only talking about marching band.

Some of you are smarter than this. Some of you aren't. The fact that Hopkins is verbose and transparent need not be license to find fault. Or even if it is, is it really too much to ask to focus on the words that actually matter? Case in point. He's celebrating C2's victory, and what are we talking about? A phrase out of context. Really?

HH

I didn't parse his statement about C2. I didn't comment on it once. And I likely never will. So why have you decided that "DCP" is all colluding to take him to task over it? It's a couple of people, in fact only one, who commented on it.

You have chosen to no longer read or post here. I recently made a similar decision on another, completely different, forum. I got tired of the fault finding between members, many whom simply lack the self control to put the mouse down. Message boards are by nature very unique, very fluid communications tools, and not everyone can manage that well. Choosing to walk away, if only from time to time, is a healthy move.

I sometimes say stupid things that hurt people's feelings, but I always post with my real name so that anyone who feels the need to make things right with me can do so. I extend that to you, any time. Peace.

• Like 1

I didn't parse his statement about C2. I didn't comment on it once. And I likely never will. So why have you decided that "DCP" is all colluding to take him to task over it? It's a couple of people, in fact only one, who commented on it.

You have chosen to no longer read or post here. I recently made a similar decision on another, completely different, forum. I got tired of the fault finding between members, many whom simply lack the self control to put the mouse down. Message boards are by nature very unique, very fluid communications tools, and not everyone can manage that well. Choosing to walk away, if only from time to time, is a healthy move.

I sometimes say stupid things that hurt people's feelings, but I always post with my real name so that anyone who feels the need to make things right with me can do so. I extend that to you, any time. Peace.

Mike, you did not offend me. No apologies needed. Just having a discussion. I hope in my zeal I did not offend you.

I stand by my point, however. It derives from years of DCP reading in which Hopkins is treated like no one else. The standards for this site for how individuals should be treated have clearly and consistently been lowered where he is concerned. I would argue that they have been violated numerous times and that the participants on this board are culpable for allowing it to happen.

I am not saying the post that launched me into this discussion today violates DCP terms specifically. What I am saying is it reflects a disposition among many posters to treat Hopkins in a way we wouldn't want for ourselves and wouldn't allow for others. There certainly is nothing else like it on DCP. Other posters, other people in drum corps aren't subjected to ugly and unfair scrutiny he is.

You can say there is more material to scrutinize - and there is. But as I said before, he's only running two marching bands and making a difference in hundreds of young people's lives. The fact that he's transparent and occasionally sloppy in in language doesn't absolve us from our obligation to treat each other with respect.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 2

Couldn't it also be that Hop is the singular most-prolific public comment-maker of any drum corp director? I recognize that I can't call him a fat buffoon or a stupid jerk, but can I respond to his public comments without it being considered a personal attack on him?

For instance, can I say that the exuberance for C2's win might be tempered by the knowledge that 8 members of the weekend's judging panel judge for for YEA? I'm not taking away from his exuberance because, obviously, he knows that fact. Is it a reflection of him personally that he doesn't disclose those facts as readily as he does his personal reflections of the corps win? Is it a personal attack if others do?