If nothing else this will be interesting

I'd expect numbers to look something like:

70 brass

3 DM

8 choir

14 FE

17 battery

38 guard

If they drop to 64 brass those would go to guard but I would expect 70 brass with 12 to 16 tuba

Barry Manilow needs a choir? ... or did Aungst bring the "John, do you love me? " bench from Crown? EOTB revisited? Interesting, very interesting.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Barry Manilow needs a choir? ... or did Aungst bring the "John, do you love me? " bench from Crown? EOTB revisited? Interesting, very interesting.

TBH, the Einstein on the Beach show was the one time I thought a vocal ensemble was done right. If that concept is recaptured by Cadets this year, then I can't wait to see what happens.

• Like 2

Cut 8 tubas. Go with the synth. Boom

Hmmm, vocals and synth replacing tubas... You just want food forbghr DCP critics next summer.

Here's what I would do:

2 DM

72 Brass (22/14/22/14, but Cadets more likely 24/16/20/12)

17 Battery (8/4/5) [EDIT: I had 9 snares, meant 8]

11 Pit

40 Guard

8 Voices

So, larger guard, one less DM, smaller front ensemble (get rid of the timpani), 80-member hornline reduced to 72.

Edited by Bruckner8

Here's what I would do:

2 DM

17 Battery (9/4/5)

11 Pit

40 Guard

8 Voices

So, larger guard, one less DM, smaller front ensemble (get rid of the timpani), 80-member hornline reduced to 72.

Bluecoats proved you could get away with a smaller front ensemble, spead out with ear monitors, so I would not be surprised to see a couple of spots pulled from the pit. They also had only two DMs but Cadets' DMs have been announced, no? Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

Here's what I would do:

2 DM

17 Battery (8/4/5) [EDIT: I had 9 snares, meant 8]

11 Pit

40 Guard

8 Voices

Out of curiosity, why would you get rid of the timpani of all things? It's sort of an iconic pit instrument.

Out of curiosity, why would you get rid of the timpani of all things? It's sort of an iconic pit instrument.

It may be iconic to some, but does it's use really come through or add a lot to the pit? But, that's only one position. Eleven in the pit is a pretty good cut from what the Cadets have used in recent years.

Edited by Ghost

The sum total of its expense and maintenance is not equal to its musical input. The amount of time and space alone is ridiculous. I can't recall one show since 1984 phantom where I'd go back just to listen to the timpani.

Ive argued that in past. Get rid of the contra line altogether since you can't hear half of them anyway, and modern audiences and members would rather hear/feel theater boom anyway. Sure you'd still have crown, cavies, Bloo, scv and phantom, but the rest may as well get rid of them.

A lot of kids actually LOVE playing tuba in drum corps. Getting rid of them altogether seems rather arbitrary. I love the tuba line, and contrary to popular belief (on this website primarily), you can actually hear them. They are the backbone of any type of ensemble regardless. Try listening to a lot of music without that backbone and notice how much different it sounds.

It may be iconic to some, but does it's use really come through or add a lot to the pit? But, that's only one position. Eleven in the pit is a pretty good cut from what the Cadets have used in recent years.

Yes it does if you're listening.

https://yea.org/programs/cadets/cadets/news/1455-cadets-recruiting-vocal-ensemble-for-2017

I am auditioning for this. I'm sure some of you won't be super happy this is happening (which is fine, free speech is important), but I think it could be beautiful if done right! :)

I can't say I'm excited about this, but I am gonna try to keep an open mind. We'll see what happens but I am not getting my hopes up.