Cadets 2017

2 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Relevant in what respect?  Musically?  Intellectually?  

If they were to bring a literal recreation of the production perhaps that might be a concern. 

But the theme (doubting the necessity of God in one's life) is pretty universal.  

Is that from your fervor for Inferno or the Devils?

Presenting that aspect as you do compared to anti-establishmentism/institutionalism, Viet Nam  protest, etc, this would continue the Hopkins editorials,no?

13 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Is that from your fervor for Inferno or the Devils?

Presenting that aspect as you do compared to anti-establishmentism/institutionalism, Viet Nam  protest, etc, this would continue the Hopkins editorials,no?

There were certainly a lot of contemporaneous references that no longer apply.  

The underlying theme of the whole production (a crisis of faith if you will ) is (IMHO) universal. 

Of course there's no requirement that the design adhere to any of the original intent.  The music stands very well on it's own.

Edited by corpsband

18 minutes ago, corpsband said:

Of course there's no requirement that the design adhere to any of the original intent.  The music stands very well on it's own.

Here we go ... Que Channel3 ...

5 hours ago, corpsband said:

Relevant in what respect?  Musically?  Intellectually?  

If they were to bring a literal recreation of the production perhaps that might be a concern. 

But the theme (doubting the necessity of God in one's life) is pretty universal. 

Relevant meaning young people can identify with the show design. I mean, this is an activity for young adults, right? Oh, that's right! Drum corps is just for crusty brass and percussion curmudgeons rocking away at the rest home while telling Beiberphiles to get off the lawn.

3 hours ago, wallace said:

while telling Beiberphiles to get off the lawn.

The equivalent of Beiber for me was New Kids on the Block.

If you had told me as a kid that any DCI fan who didn't embrace New Kids on the Block was a curmudgeon, I would've told you that you were a moron. 

Because you would be. 

Edited by Lance

10 hours ago, corpsband said:

Well -- there's rehashes and there's fresh takes.  I'd be ok with the fresh take on Mass because there are so many possibilities with work.  

But George D denied Mass --  BUT -- has he denied it three times?  

Only the shadow knows.

I haven't heard any cocks crow 

• Like 3

Ink.  I know everybody hates it, but man...I love it.  I think most people dont give it a chance because Crown didnt win, and the actual show gets lost in the mix.  People need to realize its not BDs fault that the judges liked them better.   I liked the show.

Bd 2011

Cadets 2015

Edited by BoaDci
  • Like 1

Can't wait for a show announcement so we can bicker about something relevant.

:)

Honestly for me Mass doesn't fall into my normal fear/caution of "rehashes".  It's been long enough and there is way more they can do with that than say West Side Story (not saying 09 was bad by any means).  Though it sounds like that probably isn't it, I'm interested to see what they decide to do.  As bizarre and depending on what your standards are, what a failure last year was it showed to me they're finally ready to try something new and different for them and at least push.  It was actually my favorite show form them since 2011...and before that 2007.  Didn't work out, but I hope they don't get spooked and go back to another safe show with their tail tucked between their legs which I don't expect with them having pretty much cleaned house again.  

I hope last year was a sign they're ready to branch out and try some new stuff and they'll try again and fix what went wrong.  More good corps = more fun for us fans.  

• Like 2