Cadets 2017

Klesch's bio says that he was arranger between 85 and 92. I was thinking Robert W. Smith was involved in 89.

The Les Mis show.

Perhaps alumni should make a better effort to publicize the reasons why we hold to these traditions. More importantly, perhaps having current marching members explain why it's important to them.

Maybe our alumni need to put out a small pamplet explaining Cadet traditions, the history of how they started, and why they are still practiced. I doubt if it would change any minds, but at least it will help them to understand better what we do and why we do it. If nothing else it would give spectators a souvenir to take home with them, and some of them might even read it. I'm not blind to the fact that there are you posters on DCP and FB who seem to feel that traditions are just a remnant of the past that should be discarded. Young people customarily live within 24 hour spans of time, so the concept of holding onto and honoring your history and the people who made that history is foreign to them.We also have to deal with our corps director who never marched Cadets and lacks the attachment we all feel towards are corps; past, present, and future, and to each other. I am expecting a mass cleansing of our traditions next year because George is determined that he is going to move the corps into the future, without realizing that our past could be a unique show component, combined with new ideas. Well, sorry to keep you up. Once I start on this topic it just pours out.

• Like 2

Maybe our alumni need to put out a small pamplet explaining Cadet traditions, the history of how they started, and why they are still practiced. I doubt if it would change any minds, but at least it will help them to understand better what we do and why we do it. If nothing else it would give spectators a souvenir to take home with them, and some of them might even read it. I'm not blind to the fact that there are you posters on DCP and FB who seem to feel that traditions are just a remnant of the past that should be discarded. Young people customarily live within 24 hour spans of time, so the concept of holding onto and honoring your history and the people who made that history is foreign to them.We also have to deal with our corps director who never marched Cadets and lacks the attachment we all feel towards are corps; past, present, and future, and to each other. I am expecting a mass cleansing of our traditions next year because George is determined that he is going to move the corps into the future, without realizing that our past could be a unique show component, combined with new ideas. Well, sorry to keep you up. Once I start on this topic it just pours out.

Odd you write this . I saw a video - the corps song at the banquet yes. It was beautiful. And I have a friend who says there is a history night too? What is that ? And an initiation night. And at Allentown I saw the Holy Bass guys. There had to be 20 guys all cheering for the bass line. And I volunteered at Indy and I watched a talk George gave and he showed clips of the corps from 1980 to 2015. The kids went crazy for the Z pull and all kinds of stuff. Seems like the kids love the corps AND the history? When did Hopkins become director ? 1983 I believe. And after 34 years and a bunch of championships, you actually say he does not feel an attachment to the corps? How many kids marched with him as director? He might be a pain in the ### and I wish he would stop shouting for woodwinds but your comments make me sad. I hope there are not too many alumni who think like you. And yes, the Cadets are in danger of becoming relics of an olden age. They held on to that uniform about 10 years too long. I wonder if the reason is he actually does listen to people like you?

• Like 1

In the military, we learn about many traditions and those of us who contributed to ensuring these traditions stay current. Many people outside the military may not understand why we do certain things (i.e., wear our covers while outdoors, salute the ensign, man-the-rails while leaving for deployment), because we do not actively put out this information to people who honestly may not have any interest. But if people are interested, we are willing to explain certain things to them as well as provide resources that explains these traditions better than we ever could. My point is, there is really nothing preventing people from understanding certain traditions if they really would like to know why they exist. To be offended because these traditions exist, or to call for the removal of these traditions does a disservice to those who came before us. A lot of traditions are meant to honor those in our past who have paved the way for us to be where we are now. Ignorance is not an excuse to flush a tradition down the toilet. Those who were a part of specific organizations appreciate those traditions and many are willing to educate those on why they exist. In fact, I remember there was some Cadets alumni site that had the entire history of Cadets available for reading.

In other news, I hear Dr. Andrew Shanefield is the new brass arranger for Cadets. I have honestly never heard of him, but I hope he does great things for the Cadets music program next year.

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

that's what is said, lol.

That's not what was said.

I asked if there are expected to be any other staff announcements OTHER THAN Friday.

In other news, I hear Dr. Andrew Shanefield is the new brass arranger for Cadets. I have honestly never heard of him, but I hope he does great things for the Cadets music program next year.

I'm kind of glad not many people know him. I've known him personally through his daughters, but many people seem to not know his name, despite being in the activity for 20+ years. I think this gives them more freedom to expand their music book, without the skyhigh hype or attention bringing back somebody like Klesch would.

• Like 1

Welcome home, Dr. Drew Shanefield.

Some say you don't know him. B'dash - you know his accomplishments well.

After his time as a Cadet (with many interesting episodes,) you know him as the arranger for The Bluecoats as he gave us The Boxer, now revered (as at Tanglewood this summer) as one of their classics.

You know him to from his work for The Cavaliers as brass caption head ("they will not play facing backfield") and as arranger who gave DCI it's first shofar in The Great Divide Show he arranged.

You and I know him to be both innovative and traditional, accessible and complex.

Interesting isn't it as folks debate Klesch, Shanefield, Aungst, Potter, May, and Sacktig. All are Cadet alums.

• Like 2

Welcome home, Dr. Drew Shanefield.

Some say you don't know him. B'dash - you know his accomplishments well.

After his time as a Cadet (with many interesting episodes,) you know him as the arranger for The Bluecoats as he gave us The Boxer, now revered (as at Tanglewood this summer) as one of their classics.

You know him to from his work for The Cavaliers as brass caption head ("they will not play facing backfield") and as arranger who gave DCI it's first shofar in The Great Divide Show he arranged.

You and I know him to be both innovative and traditional, accessible and complex.

Interesting isn't it as folks debate Klesch, Shanefield, Aungst, Potter, May, and Sacktig. All are Cadet alums.

Unless I'm wrong, Drew never arranged the music for Bluecoats. Doug Thrower has been for a long time. Drew was a program coordinator when with Bloo.

Unless I'm wrong, Drew never arranged the music for Bluecoats. Doug Thrower has been for a long time. Drew was a program coordinator when with Bloo.

correct - program guy