British corps to attend 2017 DCI Championship

Cricket. It doesn't matter a bit what a country's local cricket rules may be. If it wants to play against another country, it does so under the rules of the ICC.

Soccer. It doesn't matter a bit what a country's local soccer rules may be. If it wants to play against another country, it does so under the rules of the FIFA.

Olympics. It doesn't matter a bit what a country's local sports rules may be. If it wants to participate in the Olympics, it does so under the rules of the IOC.

Therefore,

Drum Corps. It doesn't matter a bit what a circuits local rules may be. If a corps wants to compete against other corps in World Class Championships, it does so under the rules of DCI.

Deferring local rules in favor of those of an international governing body is the very essence of international competition.

Expecting to compete under one's own unique local rules is the opposite of international competition.

To say, "'International' means we can compete using our own rules" is a senseless statement.

Not sure what the problem is here. No international corps can truly compete with our world class corps anyway, because none of them have anywhere near the length of focused time that a full tour corps has to perfect their program.

International corps compete in the international division, where some rules are different from other DCI divisions. If they score high enough, they can be added to a final or semifinal event, but none of the 12 finalists or 25 semifinalists lose their spots because of that.

• Like 1

Jeez... it's marching band, not Olympic wrestling. Who cares what rules apply? Just perform and appreciate the performance with or without scoring. I doubt anyone with The Company is all wrapped up in whether or not they break 85 in World Class recap sheets. They're probably more worried about losing somebody during travel or damage to their equipment by the airline!

• Like 4

DCE kindly live cast their finals for a few years. One year I watched from 4 am on. Company is worth a watch and listen. If a corps is going to travel across an ocean, at least have the courtesy to place a welcome mat. We, AAG, had a 10 week tour of Europe 1977 and were welcomed everywhere. Thank you Europe and Britain for your hospitality in 1977.

I'm expecting DCE to do a live cast again, though they started accepting donations to offset the cost of the cast as of last year. Money well spent, in my opinion.

• Like 1

On the same token, I would for them over there to get a load of Crown, BD, Coats etc live!

BD went across the Atlantic in recent years? I remember watching videos. Another corps went across the Pacific? I think it was on DCI news? It was a few years ago (not decades lol)

edit: Found these just now. Wow.

Edited by lindap
  • Like 1

Cricket. It doesn't matter a bit what a country's local cricket rules may be. If it wants to play against another country, it does so under the rules of the ICC.

Soccer. It doesn't matter a bit what a country's local soccer rules may be. If it wants to play against another country, it does so under the rules of the FIFA.

Olympics. It doesn't matter a bit what a country's local sports rules may be. If it wants to participate in the Olympics, it does so under the rules of the IOC.

Therefore,

Drum Corps. It doesn't matter a bit what a circuits local rules may be. If a corps wants to compete against other corps in World Class Championships, it does so under the rules of DCI.

Deferring local rules in favor of those of an international governing body is the very essence of international competition.

Expecting to compete under one's own unique local rules is the opposite of international competition.

To say, "'International' means we can compete using our own rules" is a senseless statement.

poster clearly worried that The Company may beat them? hmm..

in any case there is a very simple fix: DCUK corps can't "displace" anyone. if they make semis or finals, their place doesn't displace the corps who would have otherwise "made the cut".

simple rule that addresses all butt hurt.

• Like 3

I don't think they have any age limits in DCUK or DCE. They can't be picky with age restrictions. They can barely get member every year to commit. They perform only on weekends like DCA. I think it's great that a corp from England can afford a big trip across the pond and experience what DCI is all about. They look at US corps like rock stars. We should welcome them with open arms. I say let them compete. There is no other barometer for them to see how they stack up. I'm sure the trip is not for competition. Just the experience the corp gets to participate at a DCI Championship.

• Like 6

I don't think they have any age limits in DCUK or DCE. They can't be picky with age restrictions. They can barely get member every year to commit. They perform only on weekends like DCA. I think it's great that a corp from England can afford a big trip across the pond and experience what DCI is all about. They look at US corps like rock stars. We should welcome them with open arms. I say let them compete. There is no other barometer for them to see how they stack up. I'm sure the trip is not for competition. Just the experience the corp gets to participate at a DCI Championship.

Pretty much the case. I remember having a "disagreement" on here once before about whether a British corps could compete and this is just one reason why not. I love DCI but to call it a "world Championship" when predominantly only American corps compete is slightly unrealistic. But at least a Briton won the world bog cycling championship which is incidentally only practiced in Britain. Oh the hypocrisy!

Edited by freakyswotboy

Pretty much the case. I remember having a "disagreement" on here once before about whether a British corps could compete and this is just one reason why not. I love DCI but to call it a "world Championship" when predominantly only American corps compete is slightly unrealistic. But at least a Briton won the world bog cycling championship which is incidentally only practiced in Britain. Oh the hypocrisy!

Hey, what about the Irishman who brought the house down at Championships with his wink? And he goes to college in London.

BD went across the Atlantic in recent years? I remember watching videos. Another corps went across the Pacific? I think it was on DCI news? It was a few years ago (not decades lol)

Then there was Madison in 88.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKxg0lMO9Fc

Looks like they competed in five shows between 6/11 and 6/19, took off for Europe, then began competing again on 7/9.

http://www.fromthepressbox.com/1988seasonscores.htm

Edited by Ghost