Electronics, Costumes, Tarps, and Props...

I've been a "bells and whistles" advocate for many, many years...props, electronics, use of "non-traditional" drum corps instruments, etc., don't bother me, per se.... and when used well, can be, and have been, very effective.

But... (there's always a "but" or "however".. isn't there? LOL) the one thing I wonder about is... with all the audio enhancements available, and with props/special effects/other enhancements that can fill in the empty spaces on a field from a visual standpoint, why do DCI corps still feel the need to field 150 members?

Maybe it's because a piece of equipment doesn't pay tour fees. LOL.

So far, your iteration hits closest to my point.

What's the lesson being taught in the arms race?

So far, your iteration hits closest to my point.

What's the lesson being taught in the arms race?

The lesson being taught is "I want to win" so if I think a trinket or bauble will help me get a little advantage over the competition I'm using it. They don't care about preserving the purity of the

sound or tradition or anything. They want a competitive advantage. So, is that a good lesson? Not in my opinion. But I also think that battle was lost about 15 years ago, symbolically marked by Scott Stewart getting dumped.

• Like 3

Do you have an example?

For me, 2013 Cadets (towers); 2014 Cadets ( stage blocked parts of show, especially with several mm on top of it); 2015 Boston (banner clutter and did not always work); 2016 Boston (number of windmills.); 2016 Cadets (mannequins and "cakes") Would need to watch a lot of videos that I do not have to mention others.

Edited by Ghost

Actually , no it isn't and hasn't been for quite some time. Just like a stick and a can won't amuse someone over the age of 2 anymore...Just sayin. Once the door is open there's no closing it .

And every magic lamp must be picked up and rubbed, I guess?

• Like 1

...are the MSG of drum corps. Highly addictive and added to otherwise wholesome and pure meals, it draws you in to pay for more even when you know it's bad for you. You don't know why you like it, but you want more. And it's the "more" that rots away the tastebuds and the soul.

Mics all over the field, amps and speakers and ear pieces removing the requirement of listening "in". "Phasing" is forever locked thanks to speaker placement. Analog sounds are made to be in tune thanks to mixing boards and iPad balances. Some instrument lines are rendered replaceable with a single push of a key. "It's all good!", we proclaim as the intoxicating effects of the drug rush into the brain. We want more, Caligula-style, until the artificial additive finally chokes off our taste buds; we're no longer tasting the product - only the additive.

The MSG of drum corps is the infiltration of automated electronic execution in the name of entertainment and ticket sales.

And it's all these things combined that have choked me right out of participating. Besides the donations I make to two corps I don't participate anymore. I did the online thing for the last time last season. I think...

But... (there's always a "but" or "however".. isn't there? LOL) the one thing I wonder about is... with all the audio enhancements available, and with props/special effects/other enhancements that can fill in the empty spaces on a field from a visual standpoint, why do DCI corps still feel the need to field 150 members?

Maybe it's because a piece of equipment doesn't pay tour fees. LOL.

I'll use Bluecoats as an example since they are fairly significant users of such tools being referenced in this thread and also since they aren't hesitant to go on the record about it ... once the show has been revealed of course. :D

Per Aaron Beck, they needed every single hand except for 4 (the 2 drum majors) to pull off the props and electronics logistics during show setup and teardown in the alloted time. So outside of maximizing instrumentation (and fees, lol). One less member, 2 hands short of necessary.

The lesson being taught is "I want to win" so if I think a trinket or bauble will help me get a little advantage over the competition I'm using it. They don't care about preserving the purity of the

sound or tradition or anything. They want a competitive advantage. So, is that a good lesson? Not in my opinion. But I also think that battle was lost about 15 years ago, symbolically marked by Scott Stewart getting dumped.

It's isn't just for competition. It goes way beyond that in many ways including what a newer audience AND many older audiences are expecting in now 2017. The battle , as you stated, although I don't think it was much of a battle, was set in motion even further back than 15 years ago. WE can go back decades of the brave ones testing the boundaries

Is it done well by all, NO! .but can't blame the prop, tool, toy, etc etc for a bad implementation.

• Like 1

And every magic lamp must be picked up and rubbed, I guess?

I had a great night a week ago at the symphony , I was amazed at the big screens , dancers,lasers. audio additions and sound effects.I'm sure a purists would have hated it but BOY you got your monies worth imo and certainly brought in many people who I would never expect to be there. I think there could be some comparisons .

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

For me, 2013 Cadets (towers); 2014 Cadets ( stage blocked parts of show, especially with several mm on top of it); 2015 Boston (banner clutter and did not always work); 2016 Boston (number of windmills.); 2016 Cadets (mannequins and "cakes") Would need to watch a lot of videos that I do not have to mention others.

I can see why you'd feel that way. But, I think that's more of a personal preference than any one style of show design being better.