Less brass? (to fill another caption)

39 minutes ago, PRPhan4ever said:

Well - here goes!  Get those flamethrowers ready!

This year "Phantom Regiment" has elected to (from what has been posted here and according to those who have seen rehearsals) have less than their usual bras compliment to add more colorguard?

WHY !!!!

Agree...I would think they need more bras if they added more color guard women.  

• Like 6

I've not seen it live but in recent years, Phantom Regiment staff have seemed to keep a lid on the volume until mid season.  I recall in 2014 with the swan lake show a number of people were asking "why does Phantom brass sound weak? Is it their horns? They sound wrong on those horns."  By Allentown, comments were more, "There's the Phantom sound!  They should finish strong." Etc. 

• Like 1

I do miss the 12 person snare lines. Killer to clean but talk about making a statement, fearless.

I need to see and Hear this live to know

micing the entire horn line (or just a few to increase the ensemble sound) is lame

• Like 1

Uh, Looks like they have 70.

Remember 10 years ago when 64 hornline members were the norm?

They have more brass this year than the majority of Phantom Regiment hornlines ever had.

But in reality, they probably have fewer this year because Wes Cartwright is with them, he likes gigantic guards

and "Total GE". 

2 hours ago, PRPhan4ever said:

I tried to count and I think I came up with 60-65?    I MAY BE wrong, but hey.... if it works... I just think they need MORE volume...

which brings into the discussion of audio doping and amplification / mixing. 

Lots of times brass lines are smaller to add more room for the color guard because not enough talent tried out to fill a 80 man brass line.

An 80 player line is usually 24 trumpets, 16 mellophones, 24 baritones/euphoniums, and 16 Tubas/Contras. You see 12 person mello lines where a few of those members tried out for trumpet. You see 12 and even 10 person Tuba lines. Don't tell me this isn't the case because I marched a 12 person line because we didn't have enough to fill out a 16 Tuba line.

Less brass players?  What's next?  More singers?