Marvelous Minnesota, July 8

Thanks. Lots of quotes at your link showing "vocabulary" used that way; I do wish they had dates attached.

I really wish Academy, Colts, and Mandarins were here today!  Personally, it kinda seems like the top 12 is locked up... but I've been wrong before.

However, people underestimate what 13th place can do for a rising corps!  As someone from a 13th place corps, it can be truly motivating for the members and organization to get that close to a finals performance.

Academy, Troopers, Colts and Mandarins are just all so solid and have been moving up and down in overall ranking and captions... I can't wait to see them all in one stadium with one full panel!

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm going to answer anyway: as a given field of study advances, it develops a jargon. I agree with you that sometimes the terms are less helpful than they should be.

In this case, someone decided that just because movement is a form of expression, and language is also a form of expression, that terms from the latter might be used for the former.

This happened at some point since 1964, to judge from the unabridged Webster's Dictionary of that date I just pulled from my shelf, in which "vocabulary" is defined only with reference to language.

Well, then they can call it movement communication. Vocabulary, as in "vocal", is oral (or written I suppose).  It makes no sense in use with the word "movement."  "Communication" can be verbal or nonverbal. So movement communication makes sense in a way movement vocabulary doesn't, because movement could be a form of nonverbal communication. I'm  sorry I brought this up!

Edited by HockeyDad

Back to the show: For any future reference, this Days Hotel is a little pricey for the quality. But it's right across from the stadium. I can hear percussion already. No messing with more driving and parking.

Also: Why do people let their hotel room doors slam closed?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Thanks. Lots of quotes at your link showing "vocabulary" used that way; I do wish they had dates attached.

The proper OED would, but I'm away from my campus network where I can access that.  

14 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Also: Why do people let their hotel room doors slam closed?

Because people are inconsiderate a-holes. And I don't mean any of y'all people. I mean those OTHER people.

• Like 1