The REAL San Antonio Rough Riders Thread

very interesting in that there is not another head to head meeting of all corps until prelims in Indy.

posted from the DrumScorps app

1 minute ago, Barneveld said:

For the uneducated, like myself, (in easy to understand terms) what is the difference between GE1 & GE2? please and thank you!!

In theory, nothing but GE1 judges are more visually  inclined while GE2 are more musically inclined

• Like 1

Just now, jwillis35 said:

No they didn't.  BD was 2nd at almost every regional in 2015. They were in perfect position to ###### that title if Crown had a bad night...and Crown had a bad night. 

I hear you. Was referring to the 4th place finish at quarters.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

BD came from 4th in 2015 as well.

Only because of a penalty at Prelims for having used an electronic metronome in the warmup area.

Interesting recaps. GE tighter tonight.  BD and SCV tied.   Bloo down in visual and 6th in guard.   Crown box 5 in brass and musical analysis. Crown and Bloo tied in percussion. Any of the top can win.  Take your pick.  This is far from a lock for Concord. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

For the uneducated, like myself, (in easy to understand terms) what is the difference between GE1 & GE2? please and thank you!!

On a very basic, watered-down level, GE2 is the general effect of the show from a primarily musical perspective, while GE1 is the general effect of the show from a primarily visual perspective. That is, both caption evaluate based on the overall cohesiveness of show design, but GE2 looks more into how the music works together to create an effect, while GE1 focuses more on how the visual elements work together to create an effect. Both captions have an element of cross-caption evaluation in terms of how the visual serves the music, and vice-versa.

Edit: Whoops, got it backward. Fixed.

Edited by pudding
  • Like 1

Going down the sheet a ways...  Music GE judge #1 put Oregon Crusaders 5-6 places lower than judge #2.  Not seeing that kind of disparity in the same caption anywhere else.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Barneveld said:

I believe they are the same caption, only judged by two different people. Each judge looks at GE Music & GE Visual. They examine total show construction, coordination, synchronicity and timing of music/visual phrasing, etc.  The 2 scores are then averaged out.  There are more knowledgeable folks on here though that likely have a better answer. 

2 minutes ago, lastknight said:

Very interesting in that there is not another head-to-head meeting of all corps until prelims in Indy.

At the split regionals, I believe they use the same judges on both nights so that the scores are supposed to be consistent from show to show.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Spread between BK and Phantom on guard score made the difference.  No question Phantom's guard is better and BK's is pretty bad, but 4th place?

• Like 1