The REAL San Antonio Rough Riders Thread

1 hour ago, ftwdrummer said:

So, stupid question:

So, BD gets credit because they display a multitude of skills, whereas most groups repeatedly demonstrate one over and over. That makes sense to me, I've watched it happen (most notably in 2014, where they pretty much instantly change vocabulary scene-to-scene).

How have the other corps not also figured this out?

Either their designers can't make all the pieces flow organically, or they simply don't risk it because it would be insanely difficult to clean. The fact that BD can do BOTH is ridiculous, and is the reason they haven't finished below a silver medal in the past 11 years.

• Like 5

The battle for 12th is going to be VERY interesting...Congratulations Mandarin's...you are seeded 12th right now...keep working hard!

I'd love to see a corps that never made finals make it in this year...no slight to Madison...in fact their highest placement is 16th place back in 2001...this is just FANTASTIC!  I'm ecstatic for them!

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

With the first three?

NVM, looked at recap, didnt realize the spread in GE were so thin.  I was mentioning that I felt something was amiss with Bloo first in GE, nevermind though, that isnt the case.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I'm definitely not a BD fan...but I kinda like them this year..weird for me to say that...

Me too. I like BD's show this year, more than several recent years from them that I can think of anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

100+ according to all the Snapchat filters I saw going into the lot. 

It was absolutely godawful hot in SA today. This show would have been cancelled were it outdoors. :(

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ftwdrummer said:

So, stupid question:

So, BD gets credit because they display a multitude of skills, whereas most groups repeatedly demonstrate one over and over. That makes sense to me, I've watched it happen (most notably in 2014, where they pretty much instantly change vocabulary scene-to-scene).

How have the other corps not also figured this out?

Other corps have figured this out. Crown's version of imitating BD is by going down the "so abstract that even WE don't know what our show is about so figure it out for yourself" route. SCV's version is by spotlighting their battery because they know that it's their strongest section; also some new body work and let's mic our strongest brass players too. Bluecoats version is by integrating modern dance into their visual design (to mixed reviews) and by integrating modern electronic effects into their musical design (to much better reviews).

It's not so much that other corps haven't figured out how to demonstrate a "multitude of skills" (as you put it), it's just that they're not necessarily as practiced at either designing around or executing such demonstrations. BD figured it out back in 2008-2009, and have been honing their craft ever since. Crown got the message around 2013, Bluecoats in 2014-2015, SCV in 2015-2016. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think this BD show is more accessible than 2010, 2012, and 2013.

I'll give you 2010, but 2012 was SUPER accessible if had even a modicum of an idea of what Dada was about, and 2013 was pretty straightforward in its "Rite of Spring" storytelling, even if the mannerisms displayed on the field were odd.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MotoSurfBass said:

I'll give you 2010, but 2012 was SUPER accessible if had even a modicum of an idea of what Dada was about, and 2013 was pretty straightforward in its "Rite of Spring" storytelling, even if the mannerisms displayed on the field were odd.

Lol tell a majority of the audience that. Even as a BD homer, I know that 2012 and 2013 weren't very accessible shows, especially compared to their counterparts in those years 

55 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

GE1 is visual, GE 2 is 50% Music and 50% guard (IMO)

Thanks.  You think they would show that on the recaps.   How would any casual fan know.  I guess they think a casual fan isn't going to care.    - guess I just answered my own question!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Lol tell a majority of the audience that. Even as a BD homer, I know that 2012 and 2013 weren't very accessible shows, especially compared to their counterparts in those years 

I admit that 2013 probably wasn't as accessible as I thought it was...

But honestly, you could read the first paragraph of the Wikipedia article on Dadaism and the entire 2012 concept snaps into place. That show was very much accessible, which is how BD was able to stay a step or three ahead of Crown that entire season (drums played a big part too, but...).