2017 Coming Down the Home Stretch...let the speculation fly

1 hour ago, CorpsLife said:

I am going to do this, just for fun.

1 SCV!! Because this is my list and what I Want.

2 BD Because the and SCV deserve to win.

3 Crown Great show again.

4 Bluecoats Again Great show

5 Boston Crusaders Because this is my list and I feel like they could give Cavies the slip.

6 Cavies If BAC wasnt a contender for top 5, they would be 5th

7 Cadets I like the show, I just like the other more. I feel this is one of their weakest years.

8 BK

9 PR

10 Xmen

11 Blue Stars

12 Mandarins Please Please make the top 12!!!! been exciting getting new corps into the top 12. Just would like to get one to stick.

13 Scouts

14 Colts

15 Academy  

16 troopers

17  Spirit

18 OSaders

19  PC

20 Cascade

21 Genesis

22 Surf

23 Pioneer

Since the new guy, Academy, made it last year...it's time for the Scouts to get back in there.  No diss to Mandarins...Scouts have the more complex show...plus better perc and brass.  

Okay, my turn.  I'm in agreement with what a lot of you are saying, but will add my $0.2.  It's not as if I'm a judge or anything, so don't jump all over me for not placing your favorite corps higher.

1/2 BD / SCV - two great organizations celebrating big anniversaries. They both deserve to be in this position due to their performances and design quality.  I don't feel hooked into either of these shows, personally, but that does not diminish their greatness or worthiness to win.  I think BD will do it, but I'm kinda rooting for the underdog.

03 Crown - I share the same opinion with most: stellar brass, impressively improved percussion, guard rebuilding, show starts great and then gets confusing.  You've all said it.  First half of show is best thing ever.  Second half is a head scratcher.  It's grown on me.  Just because it was so WTF, in June, has made me want to continue watching it.  The refinements in balancing the different voices has become excellent, but is challenging from venue to venue.  Their marching dazzles.  I have greater appreciation for NOTK after listening to the original.  All of the runs and riffs the brass is doing are impressive and the drill is fast/furious.  The vocalist has improved along with the other performers and it's now something to be proud of.  I give her credit because it's a demanding part and many mean DCP posts were aimed in her general direction.  She's been a poised performer all season.  At Nightbeat, her pitch and technique were vastly improved.  The ends of her phrases seemed to get lost (might have been the sound engineer switching back/forth between her and the brass).  In any event, this season's show is one in which Crown committed to some artistic risks.  I'm liking it more now, and expect that in future years more people will appreciate what they are now accomplishing.  It looks like 3rd for them, but Bloo and Cavies are close to jumping into bronze position.  

04 Bloo - Bloo has a great show.  Not as inspired as Downside up, but still a worthy contender.  Their sections are strong.  The biggest weakness appears to be field visual.  The tempos are fast and the strides are long.  Still seeing phasing feet.  It's risky, and one stumble can cascade.  They've handled it well, but do not have as clean a look on the field as Crown.  Music book is awesome.  Kick-### closer.  

05 Cavies - This show gave me a big headache the first time I saw it in the theater.  I've come around, however.  Percussion and Guard are very strong.  Brass is perhaps a notch lower, but still a powerful sound.  This show has a lot of fans, and the judges are buying it. They have been solidly on 5th place island, alone, all season.  There is an outside chance that BAC will catch them, but I'm not banking on it.  It's appearing more likely that Cavies are going to jump into the mix for 3/4.

06 BAC - favorite show this year.  I concede that I'm biased, but it seems I'm in good company in liking this show.  If they can take the end-of-season adjustments in stride and keep performance levels consistently high, they'll hold sixth and have an outside chance at climbing.  Percussion is great.  Guard is epic.  Brass has grown tremendously refined recently.  They started out the season so loud.  Loved it... but then it got better.  They're now keen on working the dynamics.  There is now such shaping and texture to their musical phrasing... going from a bare murmur to a tsunami of sound... and back again.  Very musical.  Very effective.  Watch the intonation baritones!  I know there is still at least one hero.  I hope he/she knows what to listen for in their playing... don't blow this!  Do not underestimate the chances of Cadets pulling the rug out.  Completely possible.

07 Cadets - this is the design that caught my eye at the first show.  My second favorite show.  It is unlike anything they've done before, in a good way.  They have a beautiful look on the field.  Their color scheme is the best.  Richly luxurious without losing any of their identity.  I hate hearing people whine about the robes.  They're awesome.  I hate hearing people whine about the choir.  They're awesome.  I don't like Simple Song with a female vocalist (don't we have a scarcity of male vocal soloists this year?).  The beginning was perfect with all brass.  I'd settle for a male soloist in Simple Song, just so it's different from the other corps.  Ending is great.  Uniform changes add a great deal to the show.  Wish they'd stage the battery better.  They are very good and deserve to be put front/center more.  I don't see them catching Cavies, but the door is still open to catch Boston.  

08 BK - Great corp, great talent.  The design feels a bit listless to me.  They get the award for best visual splashes of color.  I like that they're being taught by BC's winking soloist from last year.  One of the great moments of any show, this year, is BK's snare soloist.  Great showmanship.  Killing it.  I'm a brass guy, so appreciate it when designers showcase percussion in new and effective ways.  The brass line is good, but seemed to run out of gas toward the end of one of their recent shows.  It might have been a long day and everyone was tired/dehydrated.  

09 Phantom - Always one of my favorite corps.  This show just has such an odd mix of things I like and don't like.  Love how the corps kind of materializes out of nowhere at the beginning.  Cool effect.  The voice overs are like a phone sex ad... kind of makes me feel dirty.  The brass is sounding better all the time.  The guard is underappreciated.  I looked for evidence of what someone described as a "faux guard" and came up empty.  They're numerous.  They're good.  They add a great deal to the show.  Love the twirly thing at the end.  

10 Crossmen - They have a great book and I find myself whistling their melodies often.  Lots of great little moments in this show.  Good variety, all around. Love the French Horn solo.  Looking forward to what they add in the coming days.  

11 Blue Stars - I have great respect for this organization and group of kids.  I've loved many of their past shows, and there is no lack of talent in the corps.  The ballad is nice, but I haven't been sold on the rest of this year's show, yet.  Those tables look so much like gurneys.  

12 Madison - passion, power, hunger, brass energy.  They're committed and they're wanting back in the top 12, with fury.  Get up close and look at these guys... the detail in the uniforms, the war paint, the shaved heads.  They have a taste for blood.  Mandarins are a great champion who have made a welcome addition to the World Class.  Love their show.  I think Madison has them beat, BUT (and it's a big BUT) the "heroes" in the brass line need to back off.  I've heard you on the tape, you've melted my face live.  If the Mandarins beat you, it's going to be because of better brass quality and musicality.  Channel that passion into some control of your tone quality and intonation and you've got this.

Edited by Ediker
Spelling, added a word for clarity
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Ediker said:

03 Crown -The refinements in balancing the different voices has become excellent, but is challenging from venue to venue.  

09 Phantom - Always one of my favorite corps.  This show just has such an odd mix of things I like and don't like.  Love how the corps kind of materializes out of nowhere at the beginning.  Cool effect.  The voice overs are like a phone sex ad... kind of makes me feel dirty. 

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 3

Hey Ediker:   I tried commenting to the above - technical difficulties, so I will write here:

Good point on the Crown - it has to be challlenging from venue to venue on the voice balancing.   That said, the fact that they will have 3 tries at making it perfect inside the Indy dome bodes well for Crown.  

On Phantom - interesting and also valid point.  Here's hoping that PR takes a different path after this season.   It's time for Phantom to go bold, but a little less...

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 3

Ediker -

EXCELLENT summary!  I concur with many of your impressions. As for tonight, I get the feeling the audience is going to witness incredible emotion and drive from the performers. So many tonight really need to SLAM it this evening. Imagine the hype leading up (to the hill leading up) will be intense.  The Cadets/Boston challenge is particularly hot. Last year at Allentown, the Cavaliers were already "Men are From Mars." They gave an other-worldly performance I was privileged to enjoy from the stadium track. The heat brought together from the Cavies out front and the crowd above was simply ELECTRICMore than enough to power all of today's wattage requirements. :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• Like 1

Friday recap from Allentown is leaving plenty of room for movement.  As good as BD sounds it is clear the judges have left the doors open.  Man is this exciting.

On 8/5/2017 at 3:15 PM, Ediker said:

I don't feel hooked into either of these shows, personally, but that does not diminish their greatness or worthiness to win.

Thanks for putting it this way. Instead of saying those of us who like the shows a lot are all absolutely wrong. Much of the excitement in drum corps really is a matter of personal preference and taste. Fortunately, there is great variety for everyone to choose from.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2017 at 2:15 PM, Ediker said:

Okay, my turn.  I'm in agreement with what a lot of you are saying, but will add my $0.2.  It's not as if I'm a judge or anything, so don't jump all over me for not placing your favorite corps higher.

1/2 BD / SCV - two great organizations celebrating big anniversaries. They both deserve to be in this position due to their performances and design quality.  I don't feel hooked into either of these shows, personally, but that does not diminish their greatness or worthiness to win.  I think BD will do it, but I'm kinda rooting for the underdog.

03 Crown - I share the same opinion with most: stellar brass, impressively improved percussion, guard rebuilding, show starts great and then gets confusing.  You've all said it.  First half of show is best thing ever.  Second half is a head scratcher.  It's grown on me.  Just because it was so WTF, in June, has made me want to continue watching it.  The refinements in balancing the different voices has become excellent, but is challenging from venue to venue.  Their marching dazzles.  I have greater appreciation for NOTK after listening to the original.  All of the runs and riffs the brass is doing are impressive and the drill is fast/furious.  The vocalist has improved along with the other performers and it's now something to be proud of.  I give her credit because it's a demanding part and many mean DCP posts were aimed in her general direction.  She's been a poised performer all season.  At Nightbeat, her pitch and technique were vastly improved.  The ends of her phrases seemed to get lost (might have been the sound engineer switching back/forth between her and the brass).  In any event, this season's show is one in which Crown committed to some artistic risks.  I'm liking it more now, and expect that in future years more people will appreciate what they are now accomplishing.  It looks like 3rd for them, but Bloo and Cavies are close to jumping into bronze position.  

04 Bloo - Bloo has a great show.  Not as inspired as Downside up, but still a worthy contender.  Their sections are strong.  The biggest weakness appears to be field visual.  The tempos are fast and the strides are long.  Still seeing phasing feet.  It's risky, and one stumble can cascade.  They've handled it well, but do not have as clean a look on the field as Crown.  Music book is awesome.  Kick-### closer.  

05 Cavies - This show gave me a big headache the first time I saw it in the theater.  I've come around, however.  Percussion and Guard are very strong.  Brass is perhaps a notch lower, but still a powerful sound.  This show has a lot of fans, and the judges are buying it. They have been solidly on 5th place island, alone, all season.  There is an outside chance that BAC will catch them, but I'm not banking on it.  It's appearing more likely that Cavies are going to jump into the mix for 3/4.

06 BAC - favorite show this year.  I concede that I'm biased, but it seems I'm in good company in liking this show.  If they can take the end-of-season adjustments in stride and keep performance levels consistently high, they'll hold sixth and have an outside chance at climbing.  Percussion is great.  Guard is epic.  Brass has grown tremendously refined recently.  They started out the season so loud.  Loved it... but then it got better.  They're now keen on working the dynamics.  There is now such shaping and texture to their musical phrasing... going from a bare murmur to a tsunami of sound... and back again.  Very musical.  Very effective.  Watch the intonation baritones!  I know there is still at least one hero.  I hope he/she knows what to listen for in their playing... don't blow this!  Do not underestimate the chances of Cadets pulling the rug out.  Completely possible.

07 Cadets - this is the design that caught my eye at the first show.  My second favorite show.  It is unlike anything they've done before, in a good way.  They have a beautiful look on the field.  Their color scheme is the best.  Richly luxurious without losing any of their identity.  I hate hearing people whine about the robes.  They're awesome.  I hate hearing people whine about the choir.  They're awesome.  I don't like Simple Song with a female vocalist (don't we have a scarcity of male vocal soloists this year?).  The beginning was perfect with all brass.  I'd settle for a male soloist in Simple Song, just so it's different from the other corps.  Ending is great.  Uniform changes add a great deal to the show.  Wish they'd stage the battery better.  They are very good and deserve to be put front/center more.  I don't see them catching Cavies, but the door is still open to catch Boston.  

08 BK - Great corp, great talent.  The design feels a bit listless to me.  They get the award for best visual splashes of color.  I like that they're being taught by BC's winking soloist from last year.  One of the great moments of any show, this year, is BK's snare soloist.  Great showmanship.  Killing it.  I'm a brass guy, so appreciate it when designers showcase percussion in new and effective ways.  The brass line is good, but seemed to run out of gas toward the end of one of their recent shows.  It might have been a long day and everyone was tired/dehydrated.  

09 Phantom - Always one of my favorite corps.  This show just has such an odd mix of things I like and don't like.  Love how the corps kind of materializes out of nowhere at the beginning.  Cool effect.  The voice overs are like a phone sex ad... kind of makes me feel dirty.  The brass is sounding better all the time.  The guard is underappreciated.  I looked for evidence of what someone described as a "faux guard" and came up empty.  They're numerous.  They're good.  They add a great deal to the show.  Love the twirly thing at the end.  

10 Crossmen - They have a great book and I find myself whistling their melodies often.  Lots of great little moments in this show.  Good variety, all around. Love the French Horn solo.  Looking forward to what they add in the coming days.  

11 Blue Stars - I have great respect for this organization and group of kids.  I've loved many of their past shows, and there is no lack of talent in the corps.  The ballad is nice, but I haven't been sold on the rest of this year's show, yet.  Those tables look so much like gurneys.  

12 Madison - passion, power, hunger, brass energy.  They're committed and they're wanting back in the top 12, with fury.  Get up close and look at these guys... the detail in the uniforms, the war paint, the shaved heads.  They have a taste for blood.  Mandarins are a great champion who have made a welcome addition to the World Class.  Love their show.  I think Madison has them beat, BUT (and it's a big BUT) the "heroes" in the brass line need to back off.  I've heard you on the tape, you've melted my face live.  If the Mandarins beat you, it's going to be because of better brass quality and musicality.  Channel that passion into some control of your tone quality and intonation and you've got this.

I forgot about that BK drum solo. Easily the coolest electronic effect of the season.

• Like 1