A Reprieve on A&E (Maybe?)

Just now, Just Here said:

So...if I understand correctly, you want to have a venue to voice your opinion, but don't wish corps directors to do the same?

To be fair, I wouldn't be able to pick HockeyDad out of a crowd.

1 minute ago, Just Here said:

So...if I understand correctly, you want to have a venue to voice your opinion, but don't wish corps directors to do the same?

All this are lawful, but not all things are profitable.

5 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Dunno. You're the one who introduced those terms into the conversation.

Still, it cannot be gainsaid that prior to 2004, there was virtually no abuse or overuse of electronics or amplification.

I don't have a problem with amp, mic, and synth, in many contexts of DCI I just don't choose to re-listen to corps whom I believe use it too much for my taste.

Edited by Just Here

41 minutes ago, Wog said:

I for one would rather have a sideline pit versus say marching keyboards or timpani and glad that evolved as such.  These instruments just look to awkward on the field.  Brass is OK to park and bark... sometimes you just got to let it out!!!   

But if the argument was "these instruments don't really work out on the field", why was the response not, "OK, we won't use them anymore" instead of "OK, even though movement is a sine qua non of this activity, we'll let some people stand still"?

Likewise 24 years later, when the new argument was "these instruments weren't meant to be played outdoors and don't sound natural", why was the response not, "OK, we won't use them anymore" instead of "OK, even though producing a big sound naturally has been a key feature of this activity, we'll let those instruments be amplified"?

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, garfield said:

Jump to 3:27

Feel free to delete or merge if the topic is already open.

The only reason GH is complaining...is because he was ONE-UPPED and didn't think of it FIRST!  ....LOL

although I do agree with the premise...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Just Here said:

You do not understand correctly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Just Here said:

As long as EVERYONE is included in this comment, I'm cool with it.

None of us posting here are responsible for a corps. What a corps director says reflects on his or her entire organization, including alumni, current members, parents, donors and sponsors. 

I attended a prominent university where members of the leadership (extended family of the founder) constantly said and did thins publicly that reflected poorly on the school. We students, who had nothing whatsoever to do with these people, always hated having to come home and explain to our friends and family what in the name of heaven was going on. We had no clue, and none of us were ever asked for our opinion, but I can tell you it got really old.

11 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

To be fair, I wouldn't be able to pick HockeyDad out of a crowd.

I would not want to subject you to that horror. 

• Like 1